• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

TJ's Délice de Bourgogne triple cream ripened cheese & blackberries with chili sauce on rye from Prue Leith's Bliss on Toast.

B860C500-7B46-4497-A012-95EBF05EE4DD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.eaa7d77f8b4ff03cc3ec749664afe358.jpeg

The recipe calls for sweet chili sauce.  I used sriracha. Sambal oelek might have been better but I'm out. 

Edited to add that this needs a super flavorful, sweet and tangy fruit to stand up to the rich cheese and spicy chili sauce.  These blackberries were only so-so. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Bliss on Toast

Such a great book. I am almost at the end of it and I have got so many things bookmarked. Today I really fancied some thing similar to what you made. But I had leftovers that I couldn't bring myself to ignore.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Such a great book. I am almost at the end of it and I have got so many things bookmarked. Today I really fancied some thing similar to what you made. But I had leftovers that I couldn't bring myself to ignore.

I’m glad you like it. I’m quite pleased with the book as well. Lots of the recipes are good ideas for using up leftovers.  I went ahead and cooked the chard for today’s breakfast but I can see it working with all sorts of leftover veg, too. 

• Like 1

@OlyveOyl – your strawberry and ricotta crostini looks and sounds incredibly good. 

@Ann_T and @blue_dolphin – the two of you made me crave egg salad this week.  Jessica made a batch and I’ve been making fold-overs and egg salad saltines all week!

Lots of bagels this week – the freezer was stocked up.  A sourdough ET from one of our favorite places:

1-IMG_3551.jpg.f41777967e94092dac7c7ab70fd785f6.jpg

Another morning, another bagel place:

1-IMG_3569.jpg.b50af0c634b737e2de68d32ea49803b1.jpg

…and Minneola orange wedges.  This bagel is from the European market that sells bagels flown in from NYC.  Spread with chive cream cheese and only gently heated in honor of @weinoo !  

• Like 10

On 5/26/2023 at 8:15 AM, blue_dolphin said:

TJ's Délice de Bourgogne triple cream ripened cheese & blackberries with chili sauce on rye from Prue Leith's Bliss on Toast.

B860C500-7B46-4497-A012-95EBF05EE4DD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.eaa7d77f8b4ff03cc3ec749664afe358.jpeg

.... this needs a super flavorful, sweet and tangy fruit to stand up to the rich cheese and spicy chili sauce.  These blackberries were only so-so.

Don't tell.    It looks absolutely sublime.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Breakfast from some of yesterday's outdoor dinner leftovers (it was 27 C. It's back to a high of 10 C. today with a frost advisory for tonight).

Egg, peameal bacon and pepper jack on focaccia with a side of gazpacho.

I was too occupied to take photos of the dinner except for the empty mussel shells.

DSCN0865.thumb.JPG.8cf5735b1fb0a7149ce70cba98a7f293.JPGFocacciaPost-Bake.thumb.JPG.5526ac04e0241427775d427c4b0b1808.JPGDSCN0863.thumb.JPG.550d0f1914b64e063b70f3b25e3e6865.JPG

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I had all sorts of grand ideas for breakfast yesterday.  But as we all know, sometimes even the best of plans go awry...

image.thumb.jpeg.3d9ec005f3c9afd492e90e7afa0b1c03.jpeg

The batter was for waffles.  We can see how those turned out.  I should have known there might be issues when I checked the temperature of the plates inside that old Toastmaster waffle iron. Even though I set it at 375℉, when I checked the plates they heated to over 500℉! I cooled off the iron, and tried the first batch - results above on the left!

Then I figured, use the batter to make pancakes.  Results on the right. (I'm much better at crepe making, evidently.)

We had granola with fruit and yogurt. I needed more coffee.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

R.I.P.

what sorts of replacements 

have you looked into so fa ?

That's an interesting question, @rotuts.  Since I have made waffles so infrequently, I'm not necessarily rushing out to buy anything. I have the big Breville panini press/griddle - I should look and see if there is an interchangeable waffle plate.  Or look at eBay for maybe something I can use on the stovetop.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo 

'''  Breville panini press/griddle ''

which one ?

I can't imagine  a reason 

Breville

doesn't have  something 

that  would slip in there , 

with what you have  ..........................................................

unless they have 

something , on its own .

that was quite beguiling 

Edited by rotuts (log)

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

'''  Breville panini press/griddle ''

which one ?

I've got this one, and yes - they offer the waffle plates...https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/grills-sandwich-makers/bgr700.html

The Sear & Press Grill has been designed to deliver perfectly pressed paninis and sandwiches, delicious burgers, seared steaks to golden waffles. Do it all with reversible and ceramic griddle, flat and waffle plates*. The possibilities are endless with open BBQ mode which doubles your space to create!

*PFOA free waffle plates are sold separately.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Woke up to light rain which was sorely needed so I had time for a relatively leisurely breakfast.

Soft scrambled eggs with chives, fish sticks, 'breakfast rounds' with hot pepper jelly and blueberries.

DSCN0869.thumb.JPG.a2d2c3c3f84a15d16e307550474a080e.JPG

Tried these for the first time. Way too sweet to my taste. I'd be willing to try a simple whole grain if that version is available.

DSCN0872.thumb.JPG.f29a5fd457346d1866f23c31f57243e1.JPG

Another breakfast from sometime this week (left in my camera and forgotten).

Egg, peameal bacon, mixed greens and pepper jack with a side of tomatoes.

DSCN0867.thumb.JPG.391dd44b7fee899c83c805a397434ede.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I had some cherry tomatoes that were starting to look a bit wizened and milk, cream and buttermilk all running out the clock so I made the creamy ricotta from Bestia and used it to make the Ricotta and Roasted Cherry Tomato Crostini with Too Much Olive Oil from the Rome chapter in Renee Erickson's Getaway. 

F42CCE14-7ECA-4C13-A1F4-3C5605114033_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ba779311f9a90c812bdeb93aad2bed89.jpeg

If I'd had some of @Ann_T's bread, this could have been perfection but it was still pretty good!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had some cherry tomatoes that were starting to look a bit wizened

I am sure that @Shelbyis scrolling quickly past the photograph of your breakfast but I am just loving the look of those blistered tomato skins. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

buns.thumb.jpg.a437bdef58861de0d7e6998ab03f07dd.jpg

肉包 (ròu bāo) - Pork Baozi. There are from a new to me supplier. Very good.

I got tired of my old supplier sending baozi with the wrong fillings - sweet bean paste is not a sub for fresh pork!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto