• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Sometimes less is better. Too much to easily eat. Still tasted good.

Arugula, tomato, pollock filet (the last one), egg and aged cheddar on a WW bagel.

Especially because bagels were not meant to be sandwich rolls.  Sadly, they've morphed into that, making them bigger, fluffier, and in general, not all that great.

Not dissing your sandwich, of course...it looks...tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Especially because bagels were not meant to be sandwich rolls.  Sadly, they've morphed into that, making them bigger, fluffier, and in general, not all that great.

Not dissing your sandwich, of course...it looks...tasty.

Agree. I was just getting tired of wraps. Although smoked salmon and Boursin, or cream cheese, is a classic.

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

4 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Agree. I was just getting tired of wraps. Although smoked salmon and Boursin, or cream cheese, is a classic.

Yes - eaten thusly:

Bagelandlox05-07.jpeg.f6d442ea70b82a27ba1a50332b63bddc.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Barley breakfast porridge with spiced milk, dried cherries & pecans from Grist.

31164CE1-6979-49A4-B125-6D941402F19E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6e2060c80fb2e3bb039dd356f0a67ada.jpeg

The spiced milk is made with cinnamon, ground and fresh ginger, turmeric, black peppercorns, cardamom, vanilla and a little brown sugar - like a chai spice mix with out the tea - and is delicious.

For me, the proportions of barley:milk:fruit:nuts are off but that's easy enough to adjust to taste. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Are those mandarins from your tree. @blue_dolphin? That's what catches my fancy!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

Are those mandarins from your tree. @blue_dolphin? That's what catches my fancy!

They are kumquats that I got at the farmers market!  I had a kumquat tree planted when I did some landscaping a few years ago but it has not fared well with the drought and I think all the growth now is coming from the root stock, below the graft.  With all the rain we've had, I should have pulled out and planted a new one in Dec.  I'm sure it would be happy by now! 

I have a little mandarin that's still growing but struggled badly when we had to cut back on watering.  Hopefully it will stage a come back.  My lime and orange trees are absolutely loaded with blossoms! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My lime and orange trees are absolutely loaded with blossoms! 

That is one of the most heavenly smells in the world! Lucky you!

I *thought* those mandarins seemed a bit small. Kumquats. Duh!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

SouthernFriedChickenwithcreamgravyMarch31st2023.thumb.jpg.e9ad8a5ac629cded22d45fa1ae9781f9.jpg

Last night I marinated boneless chicken breasts in buttermilk with salt, pepper and two microplaned garlic cloves,
with the intention of making fried chicken  for dinner tonight.
Dipped in seasoned flour (mix of flour and cornstarch, pinch of baking powder, salt, pepper (lots of pepper), and a little cayenne pepper.
Doubled dipped before frying. Drained off the oil leaving some of the drippings.
Added a little butter. Added flour to make a roux. Used half chicken broth and half heavy cream.
Lots of black pepper, rubbed sage and a little thyme for a cream gravy.
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Breakfast today:  thick-sliced jalapeno bacon cooked in the oven, yeast waffles and Mrs. Butterworth's Original syrup with poached eggs on top. 

Turned out great.  First waffles made with my brand new Cuisinart waffle maker.; not quite crispy enough but will be better next time.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I still had some buttermilk leftover from when I made the fried chicken earlier this week.

ButtermilkBiscuitsApril2nd2023.thumb.jpg.2a1d5c5300b444e6a862b6a8a5401d64.jpg

So I baked a batch of buttermilk biscuits and made Moe scrambled eggs with biscuit and cream gravy.

ButtermilkbiscuitswithcreamgravyandscrambledeggsApril2nd2023.thumb.jpg.27cbaa3e014070c211036c8ca7d2631d.jpg

Gravy was also leftover from the fried chicken breakfast.

I'm not a biscuit girl,but those are stunning and enticing,. The color and fluffiness!

• Like 2

@Ann_T 

I can taste what's on that plate !

even better 

textures :

creamy gravy  ( not the same as Jus ..)

on those dynamic biscuits :

crunch on the top , 

but not all the way through.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, heidih said:

I'm not a biscuit girl,but those are stunning and enticing,. The color and fluffiness!

Thanks @heidih.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:12 AM, rotuts said:

@Ann_T 

I can taste what's on that plate !

even better 

textures :

creamy gravy  ( not the same as Jus ..)

on those dynamic biscuits :

crunch on the top , 

but not all the way through.

Thanks @rotuts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Buckwheat with asparagus and radishes in a citrus vinaigrette

I am not feeling your usual love!

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night Mrs. C picked up dinner supplies from a middle eastern store. Some sort of spicy cured sausage, labneh, tzatziki, pitas, etc.

Sausage and labneh omelet with sauteed onions, garlic, and long red chiles.

87B416B4-A6AC-4918-8FB9-7C247CF50F59.jpeg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Second breakfast, as it were...early for a meeting and it was a beautiful day to walk around and find a nice little bakery...almond croissant eaten out of the bag

croissant.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@Ann_T – your fried chicken breakfast looks scrumptious and I’m so glad that I’m picking up fried chicken for dinner tonight.  It won’t be as good as yours, I know and it won’t have that gorgeous gravy, but at least the fried chicken craving that you’ve inspired will be soothed!

@lindag – yeast waffles are my favorite.  I don’t often think of them in time, but they are the best! 

Day before yesterday:

1-IMG_2900.thumb.jpg.8d4f50a8f0f91053887959763881ba6c.jpg

Small ET bagels with smoked salmon cream cheese and extra ET seasoning. 

This morning:

1-IMG_2911-001.jpg.fba66cdb18687205ab579a18a8593d1c.jpg

Ham, egg, and cheese on a bun. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1