• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin – I have to say that I love the looks of the poached egg that you deemed “overcooked”.  For me, the perfect poached or soft boiled egg is one where the yolk is the consistency of poorly cooked jam – gooey and slow flowing.  I like a sexy, slow motion yolk 😄

Yesterday’s breakfast was all Easter leftovers.  Sweet potato roll:

1-IMG_2985.jpg.2b00fa2421c17c9c2f73001706b5145f.jpg

Ham:

1-IMG_2986.jpg.e0cb865bd95ca1f2d11031cbc125db2a.jpg

Easter egg:

1-IMG_2987.jpg.ea8398b978b94f402a7dbc50c0bc4b84.jpg

Some of @Tropicalsenior's delicious mustard sauce:

1-IMG_2988.jpg.87bcd0d5f48ee213270acfd159df035c.jpg

So good:

1-IMG_2989.jpg.17a7b905803915bff0d7dd983e7e1988.jpg

Inspired by @Shelby's gorgeous looking egg on her Spam and egg sandwich, I made an egg and ham English muffin.  I sat down to look at eG, saw that drippy yolky goodness and got right back up again to make my breakfast!  Slightly overcooked the egg, but it was still good:

1-IMG_2993.jpg.675bed1e1839efdb357d0f80f6aaabcd.jpg

1-IMG_2994.jpg.84568cef62d36328bdf7a37ac9dfb5a2.jpg

1-IMG_2995.jpg.30c256b69e53dcb35768f817c95a8256.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, @Shelby!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Garlic-smashed chickpeas with poblano-corn salad and a fried egg topped with paprika chili oil from Grist

F28336EE-F911-4631-8107-83B77AA4D196_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.567a9bbb476eb2f3e394423aec26f244.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am of the opinion that eggs are just  fickle. Just when you think you have it all figured out they make a fool of you.

This is so true!  I wanted a nice fried egg for this breakfast and managed to nick the yolks on not one, but two eggs before I got this one out of the shell unscathed.  I should have just scrambled that first one, but noooooo!  Now I have to go bake something that uses 2 eggs 🤣

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Easter morning breakfast/brunch for some of the extended family.

Peameal bacon, beans, toasted baguette, scrambled eggs, blood sausage, mushrooms and a grilled tomato on my plate.

There was also streaky bacon, pancakes, sausages and hashbrowns however I was happy with my selection.

EasterBigBreakfast2023.thumb.JPG.c54ef387f6b343a9bfc0de709e90e6e1.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@Senior Sea Kayaker: I'll have some of those grilled tomatoes! I discovered grilled tomatoes during my first trip to England, and experienced a true English breakfast. What a treat!

What is peameal bacon, please? I can't make it out in the photo.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker: I'll have some of those grilled tomatoes! I discovered grilled tomatoes during my first trip to England, and experienced a true English breakfast. What a treat!

It's what you would know as "Canadian bacon," but rolled in coarse cornmeal for reasons I cannot explain.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This is something I make myself.

It's a wet cured pork loin that's rolled in cornmeal after the cure.

It was originally rolled in dried yellow peameal. Maybe one of these days I'll do it that way.

Grilled tomatoes are great. Doing so elevates insipid winter grocery store tomatoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Braised collards with sausage and apples from Ruffage with grainy mustard and sharp cheddar cheese toasts.

EFA2ABEC-5C49-44B5-ADB0-F79A82776792_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4d51d628e925dd619a96bc3eb5e656fd.jpeg

This was good and pretty quick for something with "braise" in the title. I think the intent with this recipe is to use a small amount of meat as a seasoning but I had a package of Toulouse sausages I'm working on finishing so I made it into a main dish.  The hard cider used for the braise brings a nice acidity to the greens. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin

That looks like an interesting dish. Just curious what brand and style of cider used.

I've just requested 'Ruffage' from the library. Turns out they have five copies spread around the province.

I should have it by next weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@blue_dolphin

That looks like an interesting dish. Just curious what brand and style of cider used.

I've just requested 'Ruffage' from the library. Turns out they have five copies spread around the province.

I should have it by next weekend.

The book actually calls for beer or white wine but suggests hard cider or diluted vinegar as alternates in the header notes.  No beer or white wine in the house but I had a bottle of cider hanging around  It's this Henry Hotspur's Hard Pressed for Cider which I think may be a TJ's label and I know nothing about cider so I have no idea what style it is.  I put the rest of the bottle in the fridge and will give it a taste later. 

I'll be curious what you think of Ruffage. At a minimum, I think you will enjoy the stories she tells throughout the book. I've said this before around here but I think Abra Beren's books are great "idea" books where she throws out a bunch of variations and lets you run with them. Some of the variations are as simple as short lists of alternate ingredient combinations and others are literally sketched out in the form of a drawing with a few arrows and fewer words. In Grist, her second book, she tends to provide a bit more information.  In both books, she leans into condiments which appear in the front of the books. I know some are annoyed by sub-recipes like that but I've found most of them pretty simple so no disaster if I forgot to plan ahead. 

I've read through her new book, Pulp, but I haven't cooked anything from it yet.  It's based on fruits that are grown in the midwest.  For each fruit, she offers several prep methods (raw, roasted, grilled, poached, stewed, baked, preserved) with both a sweet and savory recipe for each method. Instead of condiments, there's a "Baker's Toolkit" up front with recipes for breads, batters, doughs, crusts, toppings, etc. that are used later in the book. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

I'll post my evaluation of 'Ruffage' in the Cookbook thread once I receive it and have a read.

My take, based on the 'diluted vinegar' sub, would be a very dry cider which is my preferred style (I do not like most ciders as they are too sweet for me).

That being said I think using a dry cider, combined with the apples, would be a much better choice than beer, wine or diluted vinegar.

• Like 1

Breakfast leftovers from the family "Easter" get-together. Mrs. C brined and roasted a capon, and also and baked steelhead in a maple-soy-ginger glaze. I cooked green rice with roasted Poblanos, cilantro, and flat-leaf parsley.

I also cooked Marcella Hazan's delicious braised carrots with Parmesan cheese, and a simple green bean salad with olive oil and lemon. Sadly, neither survived the meal.

Capon_steelhead_202304.thumb.jpg.735f7f922eb037ea91646a911a72362c.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Bagel with smoked salmon, Boursin, tomato, pickled onion and capers. With blueberries and a glass of V8.

Would have been nicer with a decent bagel and better focus.

DSCN0742.thumb.JPG.5715f772485b10c79ce706feec1a25ec.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yesterday:

1-IMG_3058.jpg.365fba23ef38849e0263a9e1d225b1fb.jpg

Sweet potato roll with sage sausage, boiled egg, and a Mineola. 

We have yet another situation of two few vehicles for our needs today.  Jessica is starting a ‘can’t leave the dog for 4 days’ pet sitting job, Mr. Kim is working downtown, her friend from Boston is not flying out until later tonight.  So, guess who is doing the car shuffle?  I dropped Mr. Kim off at work, so that I could have the car.  Jessica took the other car to pick up her friend and go to the pet sitting job – they’ll hang out there until later when I arrive to take her to the airport.  I have no memory of signing up for all of this when I was informed this person was coming. Instead, I distinctly remember hearing, “It won’t be any trouble for you since she’s going to stay at a hotel” 🤐😄.  ANYWAY, after I dropped Mr. Kim off at work this morning I treated myself to breakfast from an old favorite cafe, McLeans.  Bacon, egg, and cheese on toast with their wonderful skillet potatoes:

1-IMG_3065.jpg.214dc30408a5fe6d32972fb0b1d629b7.jpg

For some reason – hours, location, whatever – we forget about this place and go rarely, and we need to change that. 

This is the same place that I tortured Mr. Kim with when I was pregnant.  I was sick basically 24/7 for the entirety of my pregnancy.  Once every couple of weeks (after midnight, usually), I’d feel a little better and get a craving for biscuits and gravy.  I’d convince him to get out of bed and take me to McLeans, which was then open 24 hours a day and near our city neighborhood.  I’d plead with him to order food, too, even though he wasn’t hungry.  I resembled Jabba the Hut and was too embarrassed to be seen eating alone.  So, he’d order a cup of coffee and some toast and eggs.  We’d wait a few minutes and the fragrant pillows of tender, flakey biscuits covered with creamy, sausage-y gravy would be set in front of me.  The server would walk away and I’d look at Mr. Kim, my mouth starting to water (not in a good way), and I’d say, “Oh, God, I can’t eat this.  Please make them take it away!”  Have I ever mentioned that he’s an angel on earth and that nothing short of jail time would separate me from this man? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A big breakfast for a long day of errands. I have to pick up my BIL's pickup, get gardening supplies, grocery shop......etc.

I'm not a fast food restaurant fan so this will keep me going, with a few apples, until I'm home and have a decent meal.

Toasted ciabatta, sausages, green chili and onion scrambled eggs with juice and blueberries and apples.

PreFoodShoppingBreakfast.thumb.JPG.feef71286f66c3448753afe643975a25.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Kimchi Poke from Cook Real Hawai'i with Japanese Quick Pickles from JapanEasy over rice

1CC42BE5-810F-49CF-97E7-E733B9D50096_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.95a6d02c796f4dff181b236fdd65f702.jpeg

Yeah, I know.  Not something that even I would generally have first thing in the AM.  I faffed about with some chores, etc, and had this around 10:30, so more of a brunch, I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

@Ann_T – your scones are lovely.  I went looking for something sweet midmorning and those would have been so welcome.  Much more so than the handful of jelly beans I settled for!

This was my giant breakfast yesterday:

1-IMG_3078.thumb.jpg.fe973331ada121ea97cab4be9338eeda.jpg

I was HUNGRY!  Two pieces of toast, 2 pieces of bacon, a small apple, and some caramel sauce. 

Today:

1-IMG_3100.jpg.b42d74d94057383dbf8be38ad0b76c91.jpg

English muffin and sage sausage. 

• Like 4