• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Thai green curry. Eggplant, green beans, soft tofu, onion - all stir fried before being mixed into the sauce.

Kaffir lime and lemongrass flavored rice.

IMG_20190706_162934_1.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

A few years ago I saw some packages in the meat cooler marked "the other white meat" and it sure looked white alright. When looked closer, it was pure pork fat.

Mmmmmmmm....homemade lardo!   

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

This recipe for lasagne in a bundt pan looked like fun to make. It wasn't all that much fun.  They put the lasagne noodles in the bundt pan and they went in so nice but when I tried it, the noodles were not long enough to go up one side and hang over on the outside.  Even if they had been long enough they were too limp to stand up on the inside of the bundt pan.  I finally wrapped an extra piece of pasta around the tube and hoped it would work.  The bundt pan was non stick and pretty well greased but when it was done it didn't want to come out.  One piece of noodle didn't come out and I covered it up as best as I could. It cooked for 45 minutes but after about ten minutes I worried that it might get too browned on top so I checked and it was getting really brown so I covered it with foil but the top (bottom) was crusty enough that we didn't eat very much of that part.  Charlie had seconds so I guess it was not a total loss.  I don't have any desire to do it again though. The picture with the recipe showed a bowl of red sauce in the middle but I put it in a gravy boat and made some bechamel with cheese as well.  Neither of us ate any of them though... well i ate some from the one I put sauce on for the picture. 

20190727_161020.jpg

20190727_162549.jpg

20190727_163132.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

This recipe for lasagne in a bundt pan looked like fun to make. It wasn't all that much fun.  They put the lasagne noodles in the bundt pan and they went in so nice but when I tried it, the noodles were not long enough to go up one side and hang over on the outside.  Even if they had been long enough they were too limp to stand up on the inside of the bundt pan.  I finally wrapped an extra piece of pasta around the tube and hoped it would work.  The bundt pan was non stick and pretty well greased but when it was done it didn't want to come out.  One piece of noodle didn't come out and I covered it up as best as I could. It cooked for 45 minutes but after about ten minutes I worried that it might get too browned on top so I checked and it was getting really brown so I covered it with foil but the top (bottom) was crusty enough that we didn't eat very much of that part.  Charlie had seconds so I guess it was not a total loss.  I don't have any desire to do it again though. The picture with the recipe showed a bowl of red sauce in the middle but I put it in a gravy boat and made some bechamel with cheese as well.  Neither of us ate any or them though... well i ate some from the one I put sauce on for the picture. 

20190727_161020.jpg

20190727_162549.jpg

20190727_163132.jpg

Well it looks great!    I am as impressed with your getting it out of the bundt pan successfully as I am with your story of its recalcitrant creation.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I want in!    Please point me to your skin removal system.    Tomato skins, pro and con, are raising some hackles on another site.     Must be the season!   TIA.

(Is there a club handshake or secret word?)

CSO at 400 steam for 10 min or so

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

CSO at 400 steam for 10 min or so

But if you would like to avoid cooking your tomatoes at all then Shelby’s method works. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

This recipe for lasagne in a bundt pan looked like fun to make. It wasn't all that much fun.  

I can relate. So many recipes that make it look so easy to do something turn out to be a PITA  to execute successfully.  They just make me want to execute person who did the video or who wrote the recipe.

• Haha 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

This recipe for lasagne in a bundt pan looked like fun to make. It wasn't all that much fun.  They put the lasagne noodles in the bundt pan and they went in so nice but when I tried it, the noodles were not long enough to go up one side and hang over on the outside.  Even if they had been long enough they were too limp to stand up on the inside of the bundt pan.  I finally wrapped an extra piece of pasta around the tube and hoped it would work.  The bundt pan was non stick and pretty well greased but when it was done it didn't want to come out.  One piece of noodle didn't come out and I covered it up as best as I could. It cooked for 45 minutes but after about ten minutes I worried that it might get too browned on top so I checked and it was getting really brown so I covered it with foil but the top (bottom) was crusty enough that we didn't eat very much of that part.  Charlie had seconds so I guess it was not a total loss.  I don't have any desire to do it again though. The picture with the recipe showed a bowl of red sauce in the middle but I put it in a gravy boat and made some bechamel with cheese as well.  Neither of us ate any of them though... well i ate some from the one I put sauce on for the picture. 

20190727_161020.jpg

20190727_162549.jpg

20190727_163132.jpg

It sure looks good to me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

A few years ago I saw some packages in the meat cooler marked "the other white meat" and it sure looked white alright. When looked closer, it was pure pork fat.

About describes a good Berkshire chop.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie has been out of town for a few days fishing in the ocean.  I had to pick him up from the airport at about 6 last night so I made a lasagna earlier in the day so it would be easy to heat up when we finally got home.

It's hard  to make lasagna look pretty lol

IMG_6615.JPG.6ddbfc03761506ec6b5ecbdf041d65be.JPG

IMG_6617.jpg.2b1a01bfaca3df1a24c990d48c6d33c8.jpg

One of my favorite memes is that one where the friend mistakes someone's sonogram of her baby for a lasagna.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Picked up my first ribeye roll at Restaurant Depot. Tonight we'll have some steaks grilled on the Kamado Joe. The rest will be poritioned, vaccum sealed, and frozen. Found this site with videos to help me figure out how to deal with this primal. https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2783/ribeye-roll  If anyone has any suggestions for the rest of the beef, please let me know. Otherwise, I suspect will go with the less creatvie but still yummy, steaks!

IMG_5656-800x416.jpg.f90ce5d8ebe1f4630f146d95666cb068.jpg 

IMG_5653-800x600.jpg.d440b3f7dfd8641f541082a8457767e1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@curls

Id consider a couple of steaks for the RB40 3 day refrigerator cure , then SV

1 1/2 "  Id say.  3 - 4 if you can spare the meat , or just two.

I enjoyed that a while back w very nice sirloin steaks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@curls

Id consider a couple of steaks for the RB40 3 day refrigerator cure , then SV

1 1/2 "  Id say.  3 - 4 if you can spare the meat , or just two.

I enjoyed that a while back w very nice sirloin steaks.

Remind us, please: Red Boat 40 (thinly painted on the steaks) for 3 days uncovered in the refrigerator, then sous vide at what time and temp? And then did you do a quick sear? On what? Or did you simply pull it out of the water bath and bag, and eat?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/154537-what-are-you-cooking-sous-vide-today-part-3/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-2153821

look for what I did at the above.

and a little bit below , the steaks in the bag for SV.   I did 130  for I think 6 hours.   after the cure.

I didn't brown , as I used this steak for several  Steak Sandwiches  , which are favorite of mine.

5aec6e19f3d00_WegsSirloin.thumb.jpg.6ff8a97959754ce22e2a015005446cbf.jpg.32c2665f43f1e72313a7cb7b127fce9d.jpg.0062e4dd5ca48890407059ac29052049.jpg

5af4686f11608_WStrippRB40.thumb.jpg.11083c0fd1812ed93f1979fa27f06692.jpg.9a503d5ce532ac05c140e7aaab1c4d26.jpg

I thnk I only did 2 days , as I was a bit nervous.  in the future Ill do 3 , and use more RB 40  as there is no hint of fish flavor after SV

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think I mentioned somewhere around here that Ronnie went fishing for a few days.  He went to a place called Cat Island just off the coast of Mississippi.  Brought back red fish and sea trout.  I fried up some of the sea trout last night.  SO good.  

thumbnail_IMG_6628.jpg.aa212ae11cf14b48ffabba3c9183a927.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6630.jpg.7cc9c3ec0ff8490f34184daffa29430a.jpg

Used the melty cheese calculator (I'm obsessed with it now).  Had a few bits of all different kinds of cheese in the fridge.  Don't even remember what some of them were lol.  I do know I had some Jarlsberg and some sharp white cheddar....

thumbnail_IMG_6631.jpg.bff7a164cd81ef80c614822387f06c1e.jpg

Tomatoes, sweet corn and mustard greens from the garden to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_6632.jpg.183155d40159c74eb3c3e8f5349d6a29.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Slow braised turmeric chicken thighs with shallots, garlic, chilli, ras en hanout. Stiir fried okra. Couscous.

438224_20190728_1841521.thumb.jpg.ee026e74df7b43bd867c77516b9a8c26.jpg

Looks delicious but isn't that what one might call a leg?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Chicken thigh cacciatore.  Needs something green.

0061.thumb.jpg.9d460c8f62cc22c248f2dad8cfce1070.jpg

Sirloin pasta with basil cream sauce and wilted arugula

016.thumb.jpg.d698c096b2e949d791833f29e1b53d12.jpg

Korean BBQ salmon with dried cranberry and onion wild rice

003.thumb.jpg.090533ca7c1374f0b6165658ae9ccd1b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

7 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Chicken thigh cacciatore.  Needs something green.

Want some parsley?

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

My 2004 eG Blog