• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

picked up a 6 oz piece of tuna.  It is resting in the court bouillon I poached it in.  I plan on eating half of it broken up on a green salad with some carrots and onions(it still is pretty humid here).  I made some of my Green Goddess dressing to go with it.

The other half I plan on flaking to make some fish salad.  Part for a sandwich and the rest into that macaroni salad.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Some recent dinners –

Went to our local deli for Sunday brunch and I had a shrimp salad sandwich.  Jessica brought croissants from her work commissary.  Leftovers:

DSCN9903.JPG.1ea4f111a561a2f11b72a1d6a63ff650.JPG

Another meal out was at a favorite BBQ place.  Mr. Kim had spare ribs:

IMG_0099.JPG.367844adc5aba01e733262f38ade83cd.JPG

Very good, as usual.  None of that fall of the bone nonsense.  I had a brisket sandwich with good fries and blah beans and slaw:

IMG_0098.JPG.18b0fd745b25d2400e1b51e0635588bd.JPG

Last night I tossed a bunch of stuff from the farmer’s market + a salad on the table:

DSCN9905.JPG.6e32e71e48482370e060d0ac99e501c3.JPG

DSCN9907.JPG.18c8f29d40341a93c28a9395272d5bd1.JPG

DSCN9909.JPG.d39289007c94ea223b543f59cf845bc4.JPG

From upper left: potato bread, goat cheese – hot pepper, horseradish, and cucumber & dill – pesto and toasted naan. 

A sad and pitiful meal alone was peanut butter on toast and ramen.  Not good ramen – college dorm ramen.  But I like college dorm ramen, so that’s ok.  A funny thing, though – my favorite variety is the one that they’ve called “Oriental” forever.  I’m guessing someone finally told Nissin that maybe “Oriental” isn’t the most PC name.  So they changed it to “Soy Sauce Flavor”.  Right underneath that is says, “Same Oriental Flavor”.  Sigh. 

Tonight is supposed to be more farmer's market stuff.  But, Mr. Kim's parents called and to get out of going to Applebee's with them, he lied and said we'd already eaten.  No good deed... They said they would come by after they eat to drop off some peaches.  So God knows what time we'll be eating tonight.  😏

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Dinner tonight. Of course, as usual, I forgot one item, the Caprese salad I made at Deb's request, until after we sat down to dinner.

IMG_0772.thumb.JPG.592f54847b8411c9ee46a3a7563c1bea.JPG

Buffalo wings

IMG_0776.thumb.JPG.eba961c988376de931cac513176895b6.JPG

This blue cheese slaw is my rendition of one from what used to be our favorite restaurants in Las Vegas, until it closed, Rosemary's. We would get their Texas BBQ shrimp with Maytag Blue Cheese slaw almost every time we went.

IMG_0778.thumb.JPG.74473980bdd0673407b45c96fd8eb593.JPG

The veggie plate

IMG_0775.thumb.JPG.a517af7c30e8bece8e6753a73cc74f42.JPG

And then there is the also ran that was almost forgotten, the Caprese salad.

HC

IMG_0786.thumb.JPG.ecc514cadda734fc1a61c0710153afa4.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Pizza, no picture.  Much of which stuck to the peel.  Though what charred remains I could retrieve from the oven's maw were most delicious.  Disconcertingly both smoke alarms went off.  One alarm has a switch whereby it may be silenced.  The other alarm does not.  For which it suffered grievously.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This would be Using Up Enthusiastic Vegetable Shopping Before Next Farmers' Market on top of very interesting fresh pasta (frozen) we got from our trip to St Louis. Includes this year's garlic, tomatoes, basil, leek, several peppers (grilled on stovetop flame), and some summer sausage. Tossed with OO and white wine vinegar. The fellow at Midwest Pasta Company told us that the shape is especially elegant for trapping sauce; I have one box left, so I shall have to try this soon. 😀

20190731_183158_cropped.jpg.ac4ab163334508f87c7538a3f947c07f.jpg

IMG_1834_cropped.jpg.5da56a91478206743908645d4074e1b3.jpg

(DH emailed me first photo from his phone which did not rotate, I just took a photo of pasta from mine which did rotate! 😬)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I just took a photo of pasta from mine which did rotate! 

I dunno. Is it just me or does this pasta have a striking resemblance to a lower denture?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Not upper?

Definitely my upper.

There are two holes in my lower to accommodate my anchor teeth😀

• Haha 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Lamby Pasta Casserole. A cheaty fast and admittedly poor imititation of what I was truly craving - Pastitsio. But its a school night, and there's home work and soccer training and laundry and needs must. 

20190801_181741.thumb.jpg.3bdb1e6c19d097c20998235cbe2cdab5.jpg

20190801_181900.thumb.jpg.0e4b64ed51f9c91c600eb7af7e83fe49.jpg

@CantCookStillTry, more info on this, please?  Kinda like a shepherd's pie with the mac and cheese standing in for the mash?

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Not upper?

No. Would you like me to take mine out and show you?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No time for pics today, kiddies.    In the country where DH is singlehandedly replacing the tin roof on an outbuilding.   I am playing OSHA inspector, not letting him up a ladder unless I am in the vicinity to be able to call 911.     Midmorning, I discovered a bat in the house which brought construction to a temporary halt.    Much ballet with broom and bat decided to go out one of the many open doors and windows.   Back to the task at hand.   Son came up to help mid day.  

So, what was for dinner?    Channeling a superb set of Denver steaks son prepared recently, I picked up a compact chuck roast, marinated it in EVOO for two nights.    Seared in grill pan, finished off in over to 125F.    Sides of charred brussel sprouts and sauteed squash blossoms.   Son doesn't eat brussel sprouts, but had 4 helpings.   18 hour bread.   Blackberry pie.    Everyone is ready to hit the sack.     A full day.

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, suzilightning said:

@CantCookStillTry, more info on this, please?  Kinda like a shepherd's pie with the mac and cheese standing in for the mash?

True Pastitsio is a labor of Greek Bechamel layered love, (think Greek Lasagna) and I would recommend everyone try it once. I haven't linked a recipe because every one I looked at had an element of not quite right... But I'm not Greek and like Lasgane - I think everyone has 'Their Way'.

This time-poor mans imitation is a tomato based lamb sauce with Cinnamon, Oregano, Garlic etc. Topped with cooked Pasta that I just stirred some slightly thinned Ricotta, Parmesan, Cheddar & Mozz (cos' cheese) through and baked.  To me not so shepherds pie like although similar in construction - More an upside down baked Bolognese type dish?  But then I don't tend to use tomato in my Shep Pie so it could be exactly like you say 😀.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

This time-poor mans imitation is a tomato based lamb sauce with Cinnamon, Oregano, Garlic etc. Topped with cooked Pasta that I just stirred some slightly thinned Ricotta, Parmesan, Cheddar & Mozz (cos' cheese) through and baked.  To me not so shepherds pie like although similar in construction - More an upside down baked Bolognese type dish?  But then I don't tend to use tomato in my Shep Pie so it could be exactly like you say 😀.

I know @suzilightning asked, but thanks for the answer, @CantCookStillTry - looks delicious and I will certainly put it on my list of to do recipes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Last night was Korean beef ribs, a rice cake and salad.  The rice cake was from John Bishop a well known Vancouver chef.  He has you cook some sushi rice and cool.  Rehydrate a rice wrapper and put 1/2 cup of the rice in the  wrapper with a Kafir Lime leaf.   Form the rice into a 2 x 4 inch square and fold the wrapper around the cake.  This is then fried on both sides until slightly browned and crispy.  It was an interesting thing.  The fragrance from the lime leaf permeated the rice.  I would make them again.  DH quite enjoyed them.

DSC03161.thumb.jpg.bdc5dc41d53fa30ad99cfe5ac876873d.jpgDSC03159.thumb.jpg.e5b3d233038f48c95955a7beb5e46398.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1