• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

Didn’t really go with dinner, but needed to be cooked, so I did some mushroom and yellow squash for Mr. Kim:

DSCN9876.JPG.cec2c17eb3c4faf4dcdd12f883a6a894.JPG

DSCN9877.JPG.f018e3b6a0a8ee98c3757604291063ff.JPG

Salad with some croutons I made with the black Russian bread from WF:

DSCN9880.JPG.d190755fbcdd958d37b812e991a222e9.JPG

Topped with French dressing which I’ve inexplicably had cravings for recently.  Brunswick stew and Sister Schubert rolls:

DSCN9881.JPG.428e4a7bf4438b49d401fea078584134.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dinner courtesy of the Farmers Market.

20190723_180230.thumb.jpg.07d9ce45fb6f1d293406966e44caa943.jpg

Zucchini fritters, cream corn, tomatoes, purple hull peas with tomato relish, fried okra. All bought at the market this afternoon, except the tomato relish, which I canned last year.

There was no meat. It was not missed.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I recall many moons ago some fried clams (with bellies) had near Boston harbor....

Oh man were they good.

I need to get back out to the East Coast.  Still the best seafood I have ever had was in Nova Scotia, Bay of Fundy.

Those scallops....O my!!!!

-----

Back on track to dinner!

With summer in full bloom I am trying to use as much garden (mine) produce for our meals.  It is a goal to no longer need the supermarket.  We shall see how that goes.

Tonight we had:

Make your own Cold Rice Rolls - ingredients included:

- Thai marinated grilled chicken; chopped (marinated in baby coriander seeds, onions, garlic, chilli from the gardoon - chicken, though not ours, would have loved pecking the worms in our garden!)

- Shredded carrots

- Lettuce

- Mint

- Thai Basil

- Vietnamese Coriander

- Pickled Onions

Nuoc Cham & herb infused thai peanut sauce as dips.

Kids loved it, I love that they loved it, and it was pretty good too ;)

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Will trade you my lobster roll for your fried clams...

Yeah, that's not even a judgement call. Any chucklehead can make a lobster roll, but good fried clams are a rarity.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

All's well that ends well, etc.    Finally, grand-daughter's birthday dinner.    She arrived mid-afternoon to help and direct traffic     She dictated the menu which worked well.   

Rainbow salad, a recipe she brought home from camp.    A panoply of colorful veg and fruit with a fresh ranch/herb yogurt dressing.    Quite good.

photo.thumb.JPG.cca15abc802d5b13f19ed437ae92403e.JPG

Bowtie pasta with house made fresh tomato sauce, no pics.

Nor of the excellent Grilled Denver steak  provided and cooked by her dad.    He is hired as meat station for all future family dinners.  Again, too frantic for pics.

Birthday cake, ordered by and frosted by birthday girl.    "Turquoise layers" with Meyer lemon frosting and gummies.    Note the figure eight, her years.   

photo-1.thumb.JPG.9922ed231b0eb661c1e2d17a052fdb47.JPG

A really lovely day and evening.    They must all be growing up, including us.   

• Like 14

eGullet member #80.

About to head home from work and I get the "Friends are here can you bring snacks" message. I confirm I can and enquire as to what form of snacks are required. The answer was "Lots". And thats when I began to suspect one of said friends was Beer.

20190724_204742.thumb.jpg.65a37c8b6b222e26e02f905baf5f3d23.jpg

Unpictured dips, Chips, Nuts, Beer etc 🙄

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Will trade you my lobster roll for your fried clams...

As a fellow East Bay resident  you're in no position to trade either. I'm keeping both.

Oh wait, I just read several posts above. I will trade, but I want the grand-daughter.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Grilled burgers, cooked frozen sweet potato fries in the CSO, warmed up leftover creamed corn. As I was feeding two small people as well as us, photos went by the wayside.

This cool snap we're having is marvelous for cooking outdoors.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com