• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

On 2/26/2024 at 7:50 AM, weinoo said:

Can you really ever have too many?

Eight kitchen shears.  Let's not get into scissors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was going to buy one, too, until I checked and saw I already owned one. And I'm not a shearoholic, at least not yet. I'll probably need another 5-10 years here on eG before I get to that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

besides 

its getting near to Tax Time

for some of us.

An inevitable time , 

but a time to sneak a few things in , 

and hide them amongst those numbers 

panini press , shears , and ???

still time for modest additions.

modest the Watch Word.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

my shears arrived :

IMG_3499.thumb.jpg.ea2e59b04503278ee88e381a849bf027.jpg

top are my IKEA   its forged .

the new ones are very nice.  not as heavy as the IKEA 

and not that Weapon Tip. the IKEA is a weapon.

Period.

the new ones won't do as lethal damage to a foot.

but the IKEA do ' butcher '  a chicken back , on the next level .

you feel a slicing , not just a crunching.

a Weapon .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

BTW

there is an even more Weaponized shear  out there.

forgot its name.

it has an almost identical basic design as the IKEA

but ir comes apart at the central pivot

easily   

I almost got that one  chose not to :  now two Weapons , and soapy hands .

( and Id like to take a look at it again , if the aficionados understand the difference Ive mentioned )

Just checking.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My shears (same as

@rotuts') came with an instruction booklet for a knife, not the shears. What are the two prongs on the end used for?

Mine arrived today (thanks @blue_dolphin) and were boxed up with the instruction booklet for a knife as well.  I am looking at the Kershaw website now and apparently those prongs at the end of the handles are screwdrivers.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fledflew said:

I am looking at the Kershaw website now and apparently those prongs at the end of the handles are screwdrivers.

I haven’t used them as screwdrivers but they're quite handy for prying lids, etc and have protected a few of my table knives from turning up at the ends 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

top are my IKEA

These are a copy of the $$$ all-steel Dovo. Maybe what rotuts was remembering?  They do come apart for cleaning.  Their only downside, IMO, is that the removable compression spring can be lost.

Edited by Laurentius
Word choice (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

big sale at More than gourmet

https://www.morethangourmet.com

they make demi-glaze  etc

and its top notch stuff.

they have a big sale i stumbled on as they are discontinuing the online

business for individuals .

limited selection at this moment

but 3 of my favorites were still in stock.

take a look now 

even if youvenever tried the stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@rotuts. Thank you so much for posting this.  I've just put in a whopping order.  I used to get this when my neice lived in Syracuse as they did not ship to Canada at that time.  Now they do and i'm delighted to be able to get a nice big order of the stuff.  It is soooo good.  Since then i've been using Savory Choice brand which is also quite good but nothing beats More Than Gourmet.

• Thanks 1

On Sunday, my order from More Than Gourmet didn't calculate the discount correctly. I sent them a message that I would buy the products (before they're all gone) and would they please issue me a refund for the excess portion? Which they did promptly on Monday.

• Like 4