• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

It's time for Zingerman's annual Balsamic Blowout

• Thanks 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 12/15/2023 at 4:05 PM, Sid Post said:

I recently picked up the DeBuyer carbon steel Omelet pan with the stainless handle. 

It is simply awesome!  Not sure if their sale continues today but, my BLACK FRIDAY purchase has been in use for about a week and it makes a lovely Omelet that is easy to turn out for a great picturesque plate.

https://debuyer-usa.com/cdn/shop/files/OmeletteFrypan.png

Omelet pan

Great pans from them

I've not shopped WholeFoods in about a year. Maybe this time last year. I've had an open cart all this time. Down to my last tin of tomatoes. Just opened my back-up tin of tomato paste. (I prefer the tube but my markets have been out)

Good price on diNapoli. I missed the 12 days of holiday cheeses this year. HumboltFog is 18$ right now. 10$ off per pound.

I bought a case of diNapoli during lock-down and paid close to 6$ each.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 3.59.29 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

HumboltFog is 18$ right now. 10$ off per pound.

Hmm. I wonder if that's local to you -- the WF website says $33.99/lb here in GR. The DiNapoli prices are different, too: all of the big cans are $3.05 with Prime.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Hmm. I wonder if that's local to you -- the WF website says $33.99/lb here in GR. The DiNapoli prices are different, too: all of the big cans are $3.05 with Prime.

Yes, local makes sense. Most groceries do that. Maybe overstock HFog from the holidays. !/2 pound of HumboltFog was 9$ and change.

Amazon prime for diNapoli is 35$ for six 28ounce cans here. 28ounces is about one.75 pounds. So 5.75$ per can. (3.33 per pound, not per can)

Anywho, nice to be stocked up for the year. 

The Bianco Napoli tomatoes have been on deep sale at my WF, and I keep stocking up. It's an almost perpetual sale, it seems.

I also just discovered that Masienda's blue corn masa was on sale at my local WF for the sale price of 2 for $7.99. That's insane. The normal price from Masienda (direct or from Amazon) is 2 for $24, so that' s an insane deal. I bought 4 kilos...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting on them to drop a 31cm skillet for half a decade or more. I keep screaming it to the sky. I keep screaming it to their e-mail and insta accounts. I always get the same answer.... "next year, maybe..."

I do want one of those fatty No 27s though. But I have an OG No 27 and its performance is pretty spectacular, so I guess I can't complain.

• Like 1

@btbyrd beautiful sear on that steak.  Yesterday it was six dollar day at a local "bargin bin" store where I spotted a nice Mafter pan.  Once home it took about two minutes with my vise to press the handle back to the original position.  I'll start the seasoning process later today.  Seared steak is in my future!

IMG_20240224_154916101.thumb.jpg.985865561fb15190672bd24cd58407b1.jpg

IMG_20240224_154921176.thumb.jpg.6273862aa5f8a670c358a9332c136014.jpg

IMG_20240224_155801354.thumb.jpg.e825a975461c9308734c863e3ba89306.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Steve Irby said:

@btbyrd beautiful sear on that steak.  Yesterday it was six dollar day at a local "bargin bin" store where I spotted a nice Mafter pan.  Once home it took about two minutes with my vise to press the handle back to the original position.  I'll start the seasoning process later today.  Seared steak is in my future!

IMG_20240224_154916101.thumb.jpg.985865561fb15190672bd24cd58407b1.jpg

IMG_20240224_154921176.thumb.jpg.6273862aa5f8a670c358a9332c136014.jpg

IMG_20240224_155801354.thumb.jpg.e825a975461c9308734c863e3ba89306.jpg

Nice find, and nice save!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not sure this is a remarkable deal but if anyone's in the market for a pair of kitchen shears, the Amazon price on the Kershaw Taskmaster Shears (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) has been bouncing around between $16-19 dollars for a while now - a fair price for a sturdy pair of shears that come apart easily for cleaning by hand or in the dishwasher.  They are identical to the Shun Multi Purpose Shears (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) priced at $54.95. 

I purchased a pair of the Kershaw shears in 2011 @ $39.99 and they've served me well. I thought I lost them and was surprised to be able to replace them at less than half the original cost.  Of course, the old pair resurfaced the very day the new ones arrived.  No complaints though, a second pair will be handy. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 6

Those Shun shears came out on top at America's Test Kitchen recently (maybe it was last year). In case you were wondering, Wirecutter (another review site I usually find reliable) just gave them a sniff (no recommendation). It's interesting that blade-length, on which ATK raved, Wirecutter complained about. My guess is that Wirecutter isn't really interested in kitchen shears.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have the Taskmasters, the Tojiro shears, and the MAC shears and snips. They're all a bit different. I like the Taskmasters as general use packaging scissors and use the others on (mostly) food. Not that the Taskmasters aren't well suited toward cutting food, but just that they've become the everyday scissors in my kitchen and so often have tape goop or other household dirt on them. 

There are two or three other kinds of shears that I'd like to try but I already have too many.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

My guess is that Wirecutter isn't really interested in kitchen shears.

Wouldn't surprise me

image.png.c8121843bf22ab349846c826fd33dadc.png

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I have the Taskmasters, the Tojiro shears, and the MAC shears and snips. They're all a bit different. I like the Taskmasters as general use packaging scissors and use the others on (mostly) food. Not that the Taskmasters aren't well suited toward cutting food, but just that they've become the everyday scissors in my kitchen and so often have tape goop or other household dirt on them. 

There are two or three other kinds of shears that I'd like to try but I already have too many.

Visitors to my kitchen have noticed that I have a pair of shears in every drawer.

You just can't have too many these days when every products requires slashing to open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Visitors to my kitchen have noticed that I have a pair of shears in every drawer.

You just can't have too many these days when every products requires slashing to open.

My new shears blessedly came in a small paperboard box, no plastic blister pack!

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Great find and great work rebending the handle! Doing that sort of work can be nerve wracking. Some of my Dartos warped slightly and I mostly use them on an electric cooktop, so I went through the process of getting them close to red hot and then beating them flat. By the time I was done with them, the handle angle wasn't ever quite the same. But now they feel like they're more fully mine because I applied a heavy layer of Brandon's wabi sabi. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I went through the process of getting them close to red hot and then beating them flat.

Were you, in a previous life, perhaps a metalsmith? Or maybe a farrier?

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?