• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains (Part 2)

Kerry Beal

Walmart is having a sale on Kitchenaid Classic Tilt stand mixer 4.5 qt, white only:  $279

My husband, who bakes bread using only his hands, all of a sudden decided to spring for a stand mixer. He wants to make brioche bread and read somewhere that hands aren't good enough for brioche.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Walmart is having OMGa sale on Kitchenaid Classic Tilt stand mixer 4.5 qt, white only:  $279

My husband, who bakes bread using only his hands, all of a sudden decided to spring for a stand mixer. He wants to make brioche bread and read somewhere that hands aren't good enough for brioche.

OMG!  I just glanced at this entry and I made a mistake! The sale was $179. No idea if that's still available. Sorry! I'm sure that original post wasn't very helpful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

OMG!  I just glanced at this entry and I made a mistake! The sale was $179. No idea if that's still available. Sorry! I'm sure that original post wasn't very helpful.

Too funny! I wasn't going to say anything because you sounded quite pleased with the deal that I didn't think was much of a deal!

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

All-Clad seems to have very frequent ' VIP ' sales.

soon , extrapolating 

there might be more than one a day .

The newer AC seems no better than Calphalon at a much higher price. 

(I like Calphalon)

• 3 weeks later...

Instant Pot makes an "official" egg bite mold that fits the 6-quart (or larger) Instant Pots. They're 50% off right now! And very, very useful.

Instant Pot Egg Bite Mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy 

what iPot setting and times do you use 

for sn egg mixture ?

what is the texture like for the resulting Gites ?

can you poach a single egg in each patron ?

would those eggs turn ut w a creamy , but not hard yolk 

at a particular setting ?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Instant Pot makes an "official" egg bite mold that fits the 6-quart (or larger) Instant Pots. They're 50% off right now! And very, very useful.

Dammit again.  Mine will be here Thursday.  Sigh.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Dammit again.  Mine will be here Thursday.  Sigh.

I was resisting but then read the reviews that say it can be used in an oven so I now have one in my cart!

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

for sn egg mixture ?

Not @Smithy, but here's a recipe that a reviewer shared on Amazon: 

My standard recipe is 4 eggs, 1/3 C cottage cheese, 1 C cheese of choice, seasoning of choice and extras may include xtra cheese, meat or veggies. Blend ingredients, pour mixture in mold put lid on and put on trivet in IP. I repeat the process for the second mold. Dont forget to add waterto the inner pot. Steam for 8 min and natural release. You have tasty egg bites (better than coffee shop egg bites) and they release easily. Hand wash and rinse well. I dont recommend washing in a dishwasher. I dont prep the mold with butter or oil. Some times i flip it in my hand and tap the bottom of the mold to release the eggs. It can be used in the Crisper bake function or oven (yes with lid on). However, I prefer them steamed.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

for sn egg mixture ?

what is the texture like for the resulting Gites ?

can you poach a single egg in each patron ?

would those eggs turn ut w a creamy , but not hard yolk 

at a particular setting ?

I was working from a recipe in @JAZ's 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). Based on the results, I won't stray far from the proportions or timing! The recipe is 6 large eggs, 1/4c milk, 1/3c cheese, then seasonings and vegetables (I omitted the vegetables and used dried herbs). I used my stick blender to whip the eggs thoroughly, and I suspect the extra incorporated air helped lighten the texture.

Timing: 8 minutes on high pressure; 5 minutes natural release, then quick release. Note that the egg bite pan lid should be on the pan during the cooking process.

The texture is perfect, in my opinion: firm enough to pick up with fingers, but still tender. I cut one in half so you can see the interior bubbles. You can also see that the dried herbs (not part of the recipe) rose to the top of the bite. I don't know how that would have changed if I'd used the chopped chives and asparagus in the original recipe.

20230704_115014.jpg

I don't know about poaching the eggs -- that is, what settings would be needed for a particular texture -- but yes, each pocket in the egg bite pan would easily hold one chicken egg. I think the pockets are large enough to accommodate duck eggs, but since I don't have any I can't be sure. I guess I'll have to try some egg-poaching experiments! And maybe I can get some duck eggs locally.

• Thanks 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not @Smithy, but here's a recipe that a reviewer shared on Amazon: 

My standard recipe is 4 eggs, 1/3 C cottage cheese, 1 C cheese of choice, seasoning of choice and extras may include xtra cheese, meat or veggies. Blend ingredients, pour mixture in mold put lid on and put on trivet in IP. I repeat the process for the second mold. Dont forget to add waterto the inner pot. Steam for 8 min and natural release. You have tasty egg bites (better than coffee shop egg bites) and they release easily. Hand wash and rinse well. I dont recommend washing in a dishwasher. I dont prep the mold with butter or oil. Some times i flip it in my hand and tap the bottom of the mold to release the eggs. It can be used in the Crisper bake function or oven (yes with lid on). However, I prefer them steamed.

Thanks for this review. I had no trouble getting the eggs to release from the mold, and I didn't use any butter or oil to assist with release. The bites popped right out, but each pocket can be pushed from the bottom if necessary. I appreciate the comment about not using the dishwasher. The molds are supposed to be dishwasher-safe, but I've seen my dishwasher leave powdery residues on silicone sometimes. May as well play it safe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's the exact one I use. Dare I buy another one?

And this is the basic recipe I use, more or less. Always 4 eggs, ½ cup cottage cheese, and somewhere between ¼ and ½ cup chopped or shredded cheese (usually Swiss/Jarlsberg/Gruyère). Usually a couple of handfuls of baby spinach, sometimes with arugula. Occasionally bacon, cooked and chopped. Always salt and white pepper. Sometimes other seasoning; Penzey's Sunny Paris is a favorite. 

However, I use the Steam setting instead of High Pressure -- also for 10/10. I start the cooling process with the lid off. After 10-15 minutes, I push the bites up a bit, just to make sure they'll release properly. After another 10 minutes or so, I move them to the fridge.

• Like 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@Smithy 

is the tray and lid 

pressure steamed ?

ie above the 1 cup water as might be the minimum water 

in the pot , 6 qt ?

mine will be here Jul 6th

Im thinking if these might be useful 

for Eggs , poach-ie

pressure steamed 

a la @Shelby 

low pressure  ( but in a shell )

of course , right from the refrigerator.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

is the tray and lid 

pressure steamed ?

ie above the 1 cup water as might be the minimum water 

in the pot , 6 qt ?

mine will be here Jul 6th

Im thinking if these might be useful 

for Eggs , poach-ie

pressure steamed 

a la @Shelby 

low pressure  ( but in a shell )

of course , right from the refrigerator.

Yes, you put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot, and set the egg bite mold (lidded) atop the trivet. Let us know how yours works out poach-wise! Photos too!

• Like 2

I use the IP egg bites mold with this recipe from Instant Pot - https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/fluffy-egg-bites/.

Instead of using foil to cover the molds, I use the cover that comes with the IP egg bit mold. I have two molds and I stack them on their trivet and cook per the recipe -- steam for 8 minutes, wait 10 minutes, release pressure. I mix all of the egg custard ingredients in a blender.

IP has a few recipes that use their egg bites mold: https://recipes.instantpot.com/?coursefilter=&cuisinefilter=&dietfilter=&search=egg+bites&bsearch=Search. The corndog minis look like fun!  https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/corndog-minis/

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

do you have a sort

of lifter devise to take the silicone

out of the hot pot ?

as its not that rigid?

The trivet has handles that I set upright before putting the egg bite tray in, like this:

20230704_163707.jpg

When the cooking is done, I pull the trivet up with the bite pan cradled between the handles.

I don't think the handles are long enough to grab if I have 2 silicone pans stacked, though. I'll have to come up with something to grab them by. Maybe a couple of wire loops made from coat hangers, or picture wire, or even twist ties? 

• Like 3

This is from Oxo, might hold two silicone pans.

OXO Good Grips Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling, Red: Kitchen & Dining

image.png.8b5e5672117e5f2e0110355d6ee773ff.png

Edited to add that it can hold 2 stacks of small ceramic pots for custard just fine.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TdeV said:

This is from Oxo, might hold two silicone pans.

OXO Good Grips Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling, Red: Kitchen & Dining

image.png.8b5e5672117e5f2e0110355d6ee773ff.png

Edited to add that it can hold 2 stacks of small ceramic pots for custard just fine.

I agree.  Yes, this is a worthy tool.  I've had one of these for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

The trivet has handles that I set upright before putting the egg bite tray in, like this:

20230704_163707.jpg

When the cooking is done, I pull the trivet up with the bite pan cradled between the handles.

I don't think the handles are long enough to grab if I have 2 silicone pans stacked, though. I'll have to come up with something to grab them by. Maybe a couple of wire loops made from coat hangers, or picture wire, or even twist ties? 

When I have the egg bite molds double stacked, I use a chopstick to raise one side, grab it with a potholder, and then repeat the process for the second side. Coat hangers would probably work quite well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

I ordered earlier today. When I went to “Your Orders” I learned that it must be a “sensitive item”, see below.🤣IMG_1391.thumb.jpeg.990e6fddc31123b3fb43a21aa0390438.jpeg

Edited by DesertTinker
Typo (log)
  • Haha 7

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

Why not just tie a length of butcher's twine between the two metal handles of the trivet when you need to use two molds?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Joann Fabric has a "Primo Days" special for 25% off everything, shipping is $1.95 under $75 (IIRC). They have a fair amount of Wilton pans and other supplies for casual home bakers.

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...