• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

22 hours ago, chefmd said:

Duck breast with spaghetti squash.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know WHY I can love a rare steak, but can't eat rare duck. Of course, I grew up eating wild duck, which you have to braise longer to make it more tender.

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 heaping TBS gochujang

1 TBS rice wine vinegar

1 thumb sized piece of peeled ginger, grated

4 large cloves of peeled garlic, grated

2 TBS brown sugar

I zip this up with an immersion blender then add 4 chopped green onions

This is the same as I use for Korean BBQ chicken, but chicken skin will tear easily if marinated for more than 3 hours. Duck skin is much tougher, so I marinated it in a plastic bag overnight. I have a 3 burner Weber, which I adjusted to 375 with the duck over the center burner, which was turned off. I cooked  the trussed duck for 21/2 hours for a crispy skin. I used a large sizzle platter to collect the drippings. The next time I will use a shallow pan half filled with water. Baste every half hour with the duck marinade, up until the half hour before it is ready, because you want that raw duck marinade sanitized completely by the heat of the grill.

Happy Cooking

HC

Got it saved. With the addition of the sesame oil. Going to try this on chicken, maybe this weekend.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Octopus is a wonderful protein.  It lends itself well to all kinds of seasoning.  Sous vide is an easy way to cook it.  Another way is to put the whole thing in a Dutch oven with a little salt and if you like a clove of garlic, no moisture.  Cover and bake. At 200 f for four hours.  This yields a very tender hunk of seafood and the juice that is left in the pot is awesome.  Easy.

• Like 1

I tried two new (to me) recipes tonight.  One was similar to the Martini Chicken that I've often made, but this one was easier.  I added mushrooms to the sauce on a whim.  The other one is cornbread from East Coast Grill in Cambridge, Mass.  We liked both. 

DSCN3815.jpg

DSCN3817.jpg

• Like 20

After a very long day of discussions and negotiations there is always my favourite part of a business trip – the dinner. Together with our JV partners in a supposedly well-known Shanghai institution, located in a colonial type building with a fitting sino-colonial interior.

WP_20161031_17_33_33_Rich.jpg

WP_20161031_17_26_36_Pro.jpg

We had …

WP_20161031_17_29_36_Rich.jpg

Jellyfish with sesame oil and vinegar

WP_20161031_17_29_48_Rich.jpg

Filled braised lotus root

WP_20161031_17_30_01_Rich.jpg

Greens with garlic and walnuts. This was surprisingly nice with a sharp dressing.

WP_20161031_17_30_07_Rich.jpg

Drunken chicken.

WP_20161031_17_30_27_Rich.jpg

Braised beef shin with Sichuan pepper and chili (a variety of “husband-and-wife” lung slices). Very good.

WP_20161031_17_30_44_Rich.jpg

Pomelo with onions and honey. A little bit weird.

WP_20161031_17_31_09_Rich.jpg

Red-braised spare ribs.

WP_20161031_17_31_24_Rich.jpg

Filled devil’s horn (kind of water nuts)

WP_20161031_17_31_41_Rich.jpg

Deep fried river fish. A local Shanghainese speciality.

WP_20161031_17_59_00_Rich.jpg

Two types of shrimp

WP_20161031_18_01_33_Rich.jpg

Braised beef short rib

WP_20161031_18_06_52_Rich.jpg

Spicy chicken legs

WP_20161031_18_10_48_Rich.jpg

Steamed abalone with garlic. Very tender and very good.

WP_20161031_18_11_31_Rich.jpg

Beijing duck

WP_20161031_18_12_28_Rich.jpg

Steamed bamboo with ham

WP_20161031_18_12_33_Rich.jpg

Steamed nibbles. Surprisingly popular.

WP_20161031_18_14_01_Rich.jpg

Sweet and sour clams with veggies

WP_20161031_18_14_47_Rich.jpg

Stir-fried crab with garlic on cellophane noodles. Excellent.

WP_20161031_18_15_45_Rich.jpg

Deep-fried lotus root filled with pork and ginger. Also excellent.

WP_20161031_18_22_57_Rich.jpg

Three types of steamed pumpkins

WP_20161031_18_30_53_Rich.jpg

Steamed carp

WP_20161031_18_38_43_Rich.jpg

Dong Po Rou. I love this !

WP_20161031_18_53_35_Rich.jpg

Clear soup with five-spice fish balls

WP_20161031_18_58_06_Rich.jpg

Stir-fried water vegetable

WP_20161031_19_06_43_Rich.jpg

“Good fortune” noodle soup

WP_20161031_19_14_00_Rich.jpg

Green onion pancake.Very light and flaky. I ate three.

After that several different fruits, but I was too full to make more pictures. And very happy ...

• Like 23

Epilogue:

As tradition dictates, after the dinner a smaller group went for "second place". We drove about 45 min across Pudong to reach a street where all the hip bars are supposed to be. I am not sure about that, but we found a decent place and after a couple of Old Fashioneds some if us (o.k. mostly me) were hungry again. They had oysters - who can say no to nice fresh oysters and another Old Fashioned?

WP_20161031_21_53_08_Rich.jpgWP_20161031_22_32_43_Rich.jpg

(there was a "third place" as well that involved driving for another hour somewhere in search for a fried chicken place, finally ending up in another bar having some sort of mediocre pizza and a final beer - however, pictures and memories are too blurry to post here).

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14

Duvel,   What an amazing feast.    Have you ever been to the Cannery in Shanghai?  Sister restaurant to The Nest?

Just asking because one of the owners is from Vancouver and the restaurant is suppose to have a West Coast vibe.  

They purchased our "western maple" boards to use as serving platters.  

Last night's dinner:

Pork Chili Verde November 1st, 2016.jpg

Pork Chile Verde served over homemade flour tortillas filled with cheese.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 16

image.jpg

An unusual treatment, at least for me, of eggs.  Eggs with mint and yogurt.  Click

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kerry Beal

I did but it was a bit like nursery food. If I were to make it again I would drain the yogurt, increase the smoked paprika and hot pepper flakes and hope that I had some fresh mint rather than dried.   I would also wish to have a more suitable bread to accompany it.   Sometimes I like to step outside my comfort zone in terms of food and this seemed pretty far out of my experience. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, chefmd said:

And your toast is spread with butter "wall to wall" ;)

Almost. But now you make me feel terribly guilty because looking at the photograph I know Gabriel Hamilton would probably never hire me to work at Prune having missed a couple of corners here and there. Note to self: More attention to detail, please.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Yet another tri-tip, seasoned with salt, pepper and dill seeds, then 8 hours SV at 130F, dusted with magic browning powder and torch seared.  Served with steamed cauliflower with butter and cashews and salad.

tt-caul.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

13 hours ago, kayb said:

@Duvel -- What a magnificent meal. My hat is off to you for being able to get through it and go out afterward!

Thanks ... the key for these kind of dinners is portion control. If you convince all the other to exercise portion control, there is always enough of the really good stuff for you.

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Duvel,   What an amazing feast.    Have you ever been to the Cannery in Shanghai?  Sister restaurant to The Nest?

Just asking because one of the owners is from Vancouver and the restaurant is suppose to have a West Coast vibe.  

They purchased our "western maple" boards to use as serving platters.  

Last night's dinner:

Pork Chili Verde November 1st, 2016.jpg

Pork Chile Verde served over homemade flour tortillas filled with cheese.  

I have not been to the Cannery yet, though from the look at it I might include that in one of the next trips (at least to see you boards and find out, what a "west cost vibe" is ...).

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2

On a very rare occasion when the husband was not here for dinner, I made an apple crisp with McIntosh and a Granny Smith thrown in for tartness. I must have old-fashioned rolled oats in my apple crisp. That's all, and it wasn't a very balanced dinner, but it sure was good. :D

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

Another of my get-home-late-need-to-eat-quickly dinners

pork mushroom fried ramen.jpg

Pork tenderloin cut into small cubes and marinated for about 20 minutes with garlic. white chilli pepper, Shaoxing wine and light soy sauce.

Prepared some fresh ramen by boiling for one minute then draining.

Stir fried the pork, added thinly sliced mushrooms and even more thinly sliced leek, then finally the noodles. Finished with some coriander leaf/cilantro, dark soy sauce for colour and black pepper because everything needs black pepper.

Served with a cold beer - at 10:30 pm.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto