• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

@HungryChris

I have to ask about the allusion to catfish pie.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

I have to ask about the allusion to catfish pie.

Well, things that have been in the fridge for more than 4 days, go invisible to Deb, or as I like to put it, get left for the catfish, which would be me. I am always trying to use up these "invisible items" and if I tell Deb that I had "catfish pie" for breakfast or lunch, she knows what I mean, but seldom asks for details.

HC

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Well, things that have been in the fridge for more than 4 days, go invisible to Deb, or as I like to put it, get left for the catfish, which would be me. I am always trying to use up these "invisible items" and if I tell Deb that I had "catfish pie" for breakfast or lunch, she knows what I mean, but seldom asks for details.

HC

Thank you.  It is not an expression I am familiar with so I was curious.  I might even adopt it. Catfish pie somehow sounds so much better than cream of crisper soup. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Agreed. Although Crisper Soup has a certain directness about it. If the item in question is so old that you believe it has undergone a genetic mutation you can call it Crispr Soup.  I've been calling those meals put together of invisibles "kitchen sink" meals, but I like Catfish Pie way better. 

• Like 2

image.jpeg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

The perfect hangover food; jianbing. 

Chinese savoury pancakes, smeared with Pixian doubanjian chilli broad bean sauce and hoi sin, spring onions, crunchy fried dough skins, a yu tiao Chinese savoury, crispy doughnut/cruller. And an egg. 

All rolled up and then inserted directly into your face.

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

• Like 7

bread n bacon.jpg

Since I just got around to downloading it, here's the pic of this morning's bacon-cheese bread and SV bacon seared off in a hot skillet. I would've scrambled eggs, but there was no room. Three pieces of bread because it was the last of the loaf. I took that one for the team.

As the bacon-cheese bread is gone, I tried another iteration of this Buttermilk Quick Bread ( @Anna N, I will forever be indebted to you for posting the link to that recipe!), this one with chopped roasted-and-frozen cherry tomatoes from this summer's garden. Baked it up in small foil loaf pans for potential gift-giving, if the sample taste tomorrow morning is a good one!

quick bread.jpg

Stand by for report.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Leftover "clafoutis" topped with an egg and a dusting of Japanese seasoning. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Eggs scrambled with mushrooms and slivers of Spanish ham. Skillet toast on the side. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning, I wandered along the road to the local xiao long bao shop and had my usual. Unusually, I didn't eat there. It was a bit cold and the shop only has sidewalk seating. So I asked for 打包 - dǎ bāo or "takeaway".

So here is breakfast as presented to me.20161219_110827.jpg

And plated

20161219_111035.jpg

Close up

20161219_111044.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto