• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What'cha cooking for New Years Eve and Day 2015/2016?

Shelby

I was going to bump an older thread, but it was closed to new posts so I made sparkly new one :)

What are making/eating for NYE and day?

New Year's Eve is also our 16th wedding anniversary.  We've decided we want fried chicken with all the fixings.  I'm still figuring out New Year's Day.  It will include black eyed peas.  May make Texas Caviar instead of the traditional.....and I have some foie gras in the freezer.......I dunno.  Decisions decisions.

• Like 12

Congrats on the 16th anniversary! New Year's Eve, I'll be watching the Orange and Cotton Bowls. I haven't finalized what the food will be but it will be something I can do ahead that won't require interrupting watching the games. New Year's Day will be filled with the rest of the upper-tier bowl games and Saturday will be the remaining bowls. So basically the couch and I will be spending a lot of time together. There will be nothing fancy, fussy or a la minute in the food plans this weekend. Probably won't even be a meal New Year's Eve, just snacky stuff.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
I have no idea what we will eat New Years Eve, Mainly because, at latest count, we have 34 people coming for brunch New Years Day. I'm not absolutely sure what we will eat then either, but I'm working on it. (It is possible that New Years Eve will be take out pizza. I hope not but it could happen.)

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 7

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Happy Anniversary, Shelby!

Not sure on the menu for New Year's Eve.  Got a kid/family/grandkids coming, and need kid-friendly easy stuff. I have 500-600 pounds of grassfed beef coming back from the butcher Thursday, so I was thinking of sloppy joe. Maybe cheesecake and cookies for desserts. For breakfast, still contemplating some baked french toast cassarole recipes that I can make ahead of time, refrigerate, then pop in the oven in the morning. Got some fresh maple syrup coming- I am bartering chocolates for syrup tomorrow. =+)

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

New Year's Day, traditionally something porky..because, you know, a pig roots forward...while poultry scratch backwards and cattle stand still! :)

The electric pressure cooker is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've gathered the ingredients for a pressure cooked pork and cabbage stew.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Happy anniversary! What a cool day to get married!

christmas was steak, so NYE will be shrimp cocktail, caprese salad, string beans, sautéed mushrooms with a bit of Marsala and King crab legs. 

I need a good NY day brunch like item to make-- I asked Kim Shook for the recipe for that gorgeous breakfast bread she posted a while back but it got lost in the shuffle of the upgrade. I have fresh and frozen mango and rum on hand for mango daiquiris to watch the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl since my inlaws will be there (go Stanford)! 

Any suggestions in case Kim doesn't see this are greatly appreciated! 

• Like 3

For New Years Eve, we are having roast Cornish hens, dressing on the side, and haven't finalized other sides yet. Certainly a green vegetable. Probably my homemade sweet potato pie for dessert. This may have to be supplemented with a bit of kabocha squash because I just checked, and I only have two huge sweets, and I like a very full pie.

For New Year's day, I found some fresh black eyed peas in the produce department for the first time in these parts, so really looking forward to that. Yay! I haven't had fresh peas in years. Cornbread for sure, and spinach because I don't care for overgrown collards. I'm sure bacon or ham will appear to please my husband, but to me, the star of this show is the peas.

When I first moved here 29 years ago, the population was only 26,000, and my first New Years shop at several grocers resulted in shelves bare of black eyed peas in any form at all and no frozen pie crusts in the freezer case. Now there are nearly 6 times the amount of people here, and while there are many drawbacks to that development for this country girl, the food landscape is certainly not among them. :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

For New Year's day, I found some fresh black eyed peas in the produce department for the first time in these parts, so really looking forward to that. Yay! I haven't had fresh peas in years. 

Of course, I don't know for sure, but I suspect that those peas are thawed frozen peas or soaked dried peas. That is what is in the stores around here when fresh peas are out of season. 

• Like 3

As age and (subsequent) intelligence increased, years ago we (and friends) decided going out with throngs of intoxicated people, lining up and paying far too much money in the cold (and often snow) was lunacy.

So instead I cook - this year's menu:

Apps:

House cured Gravlax w/ Dill/caper/balsamic sauce.

Smoked Mackerel house 'mayo'

Smoked Oysters

Olives/Cured Meats

'Pinwheels' - puff pastry rolled out, various toppings (3 incarnations - prosciutto/goat  cheese/oven smoked tomato - bacon/onion/thyme - black olive/ parm) spread, then rolled and sliced - and baked.

Shaved fennel and orange salad palate cleanse

House made egg noodle with self foraged wild mushroom sauce, chantrelles and black foots sauteed and topped - veal reduction.

Canada Prime Fillet's with white asparagus w/ truffles

Cheese board

Something sweet.

And wine - perhaps a Williams Selyem vertical.

• Like 6

I suspect it will be just my daughter and me, and possibly a toddler grandchild if I get pressed into babysitting duty (which would be fine). I will assuredly be watching bowl games, so I go with the snacky stuff for the entire holiday weekend:

• Beer candied bacon. Bacon on a rack in a roasting pan, brushed two or three times with a combo of beer and brown sugar while it's cooking at 400 degrees.
  • Blinis and caviar, with mimosas, for NY Day morning while watching the parade. Also latkes, also with caviar. I intend to eat an entire two-ounce portion of caviar.
  • Black eyed pea "cassoulet," peas cooked with tomatoes and smoked sausage, seasoned with smoked paprika, then baked with a breadcrumb topping.
  • Cole slaw (since I don't care for cooked greens)
  • Scalloped pineapple, mostly because I have fresh pineapple and cherries I need to use
  • Fig and olive tapenade (which I need to go ahead and make today or tomorrow so the flavors can be blending in the fridge)
  • Cheese, crackers, pickles, olives, etc.

Must make some small baguettes to cut up and toast for crostini.

That should be a gracious plenty. I have in the past made a big baked Reuben -- rye bread dough rolled relatively thin, topped with corned beef and swiss and Russian dressing, sides cut into strips and woven over the top, cut into sandwich sized chunks and served with a side of sauerkraut. Good, but lends itself to a crowd and I don't plan for one of those. I'll save that for taking to a Super Bowl potluck.

A happy, happy anniversary to you and Ronnie, Shelby! Many more!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, ElainaA said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
I have no idea what we will eat New Years Eve, Mainly because, at latest count, we have 34 people coming for brunch New Years Day. I'm not absolutely sure what we will eat then either, but I'm working on it. (It is possible that New Years Eve will be take out pizza. I hope not but it could happen.)

I'm hogging this thread, but I can't not add a few comments because I love reading all of your menus and plans!!!!   

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes.  Can't beat bowl games and champagne on the same day :)

Elaina, I think pizza sounds wonderful for NYE.  Fast, easy and good.

12 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Not sure on the menu for New Year's Eve.  Got a kid/family/grandkids coming, and need kid-friendly easy stuff. I have 500-600 pounds of grassfed beef coming back from the butcher Thursday, so I was thinking of sloppy joe. Maybe cheesecake and cookies for desserts. For breakfast, still contemplating some baked french toast cassarole recipes that I can make ahead of time, refrigerate, then pop in the oven in the morning. Got some fresh maple syrup coming- I am bartering chocolates for syrup tomorrow. =+)

Sloppy joes sound perfect.  I have a hankering for those right now.  Ohhhhh fresh maple syrup.  Jealous here.

12 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

New Year's Day, traditionally something porky..because, you know, a pig roots forward...while poultry scratch backwards and cattle stand still! :)

The electric pressure cooker is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've gathered the ingredients for a pressure cooked pork and cabbage stew.

I've got to write that saying down.  I've only heard it from you and I love it!

Is it the Instant Pot that's coming??

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Happy anniversary! What a cool day to get married!

christmas was steak, so NYE will be shrimp cocktail, caprese salad, string beans, sautéed mushrooms with a bit of Marsala and King crab legs. 

I need a good NY day brunch like item to make-- I asked Kim Shook for the recipe for that gorgeous breakfast bread she posted a while back but it got lost in the shuffle of the upgrade. I have fresh and frozen mango and rum on hand for mango daiquiris to watch the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl since my inlaws will be there (go Stanford)! 

Any suggestions in case Kim doesn't see this are greatly appreciated! 

OH YES!  I know exactly which bread you mean.  It had eggs and bacon and cheese????  Did you try to PM Kim?  She usually answers very quickly.

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

For New Years Eve, we are having roast Cornish hens, dressing on the side, and haven't finalized other sides yet. Certainly a green vegetable. Probably my homemade sweet potato pie for dessert. This may have to be supplemented with a bit of kabocha squash because I just checked, and I only have two huge sweets, and I like a very full pie.

For New Year's day, I found some fresh black eyed peas in the produce department for the first time in these parts, so really looking forward to that. Yay! I haven't had fresh peas in years. Cornbread for sure, and spinach because I don't care for overgrown collards. I'm sure bacon or ham will appear to please my husband, but to me, the star of this show is the peas.

When I first moved here 29 years ago, the population was only 26,000, and my first New Years shop at several grocers resulted in shelves bare of black eyed peas in any form at all and no frozen pie crusts in the freezer case. Now there are nearly 6 times the amount of people here, and while there are many drawbacks to that development for this country girl, the food landscape is certainly not among them. :)

I recall seeing fresh BEP's ....I think they were the Melissa brand?  They were good.  Thanks for the cornbread reminder.  I need to make that this weekend, too.

49 minutes ago, TicTac said:

As age and (subsequent) intelligence increased, years ago we (and friends) decided going out with throngs of intoxicated people, lining up and paying far too much money in the cold (and often snow) was lunacy.

So instead I cook - this year's menu:

Apps:

House cured Gravlax w/ Dill/caper/balsamic sauce.

Smoked Mackerel house 'mayo'

Smoked Oysters

Olives/Cured Meats

'Pinwheels' - puff pastry rolled out, various toppings (3 incarnations - prosciutto/goat  cheese/oven smoked tomato - bacon/onion/thyme - black olive/ parm) spread, then rolled and sliced - and baked.

Shaved fennel and orange salad palate cleanse

House made egg noodle with self foraged wild mushroom sauce, chantrelles and black foots sauteed and topped - veal reduction.

Canada Prime Fillet's with white asparagus w/ truffles

Cheese board

Something sweet.

And wine - perhaps a Williams Selyem vertical.

Wow.  Can I visit lol?  I'll park myself near the egg noodles and sauce.

7 minutes ago, kayb said:

I suspect it will be just my daughter and me, and possibly a toddler grandchild if I get pressed into babysitting duty (which would be fine). I will assuredly be watching bowl games, so I go with the snacky stuff for the entire holiday weekend:

• Beer candied bacon. Bacon on a rack in a roasting pan, brushed two or three times with a combo of beer and brown sugar while it's cooking at 400 degrees.
  • Blinis and caviar, with mimosas, for NY Day morning while watching the parade. Also latkes, also with caviar. I intend to eat an entire two-ounce portion of caviar.
  • Black eyed pea "cassoulet," peas cooked with tomatoes and smoked sausage, seasoned with smoked paprika, then baked with a breadcrumb topping.
  • Cole slaw (since I don't care for cooked greens)
  • Scalloped pineapple, mostly because I have fresh pineapple and cherries I need to use
  • Fig and olive tapenade (which I need to go ahead and make today or tomorrow so the flavors can be blending in the fridge)
  • Cheese, crackers, pickles, olives, etc.

Must make some small baguettes to cut up and toast for crostini.

That should be a gracious plenty. I have in the past made a big baked Reuben -- rye bread dough rolled relatively thin, topped with corned beef and swiss and Russian dressing, sides cut into strips and woven over the top, cut into sandwich sized chunks and served with a side of sauerkraut. Good, but lends itself to a crowd and I don't plan for one of those. I'll save that for taking to a Super Bowl potluck.

Wishing I lived close to your Arkansas caviar man.  

I remember seeing that Reuben from you.  I also remember drooling over it.

• Like 3

Happy Anniversary Shelby!

I have New Year's Day figured out.  I am doing a ham, and a turkey roulade for the folks who don't eat ham.  Sides are potatoes au gratin, sweet potato puree with pecans (yes, two kinds of potatoes, but the people eating ham want sweet potatoes and the people eating turkey do not), brussels sprouts and spinach.

I have not figured out New Year's Eve yet haha!  I have some friends coming over and am trying to come up with something easy. Maybe pizza, maybe spaghetti and meatballs.  I had originally planned fish stew but the kids won't eat that and one guest is allergic to mussels.  Hmmm...hopefully inspiration strikes soon!

• Like 3

Happy Anniversary, Shelby!  I have friends who got married on New Year's Eve and have always thought it was a great choice.

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

What are making/eating for NYE and day?

Good question. I'm still thinking about it.  My house guests have invited a group for football watching on New Year's Eve afternoon and another group for dinner.  Munchies have been arranged for the afternoon.  The guests bought 8 lobster tails from Costco, 8 baking potatoes and champagne for dinner.  I am apparently responsible for the cocktails and apps, salad, sides and dessert. I'm thinking batched Manhattans, bruschetta with swiss chard and smoked trout plus various nuts to nibble.  Beet, satsuma mandarin and blue cheese salad and roasted asparagus to go with the lobster.  Not sure about dessert.  Maybe just small scoops of vanilla ice cream and lemon sorbet with a pour of limoncello.  I'm a little worried that the afternoon football people will think they are invited for dinner and with that menu, it's not going to be easy to stretch things!

New Year's Day brunch will be spinach/mushroom/onion quiche, fresh fruit, TJ's croissants, bacon, sausages and champagne cocktails.   

If anyone is hungry later, there will be grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, various pickles and plenty of ham bone soup.   

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

I finally think my menu for the New Year's Day brunch is settled:

- "Ham and Cheese" breakfast casserole - this is really a strata, the cheese is gruyere and the 'ham' is supposed to be pancetta but the pancetta in Wegman's was 80% fat so mine is going to   be prosciutto. This is a make the night before and just pop in the oven the day of the brunch - convenient.

- Sweet potato and sausage hash - another make ahead. In fact as soon as I stop typing I will start this.

- Roasted tomato and goat cheese quiche (for the vegetarians in the crowd)

- Beet and apple salad

- Fruit salad 

- Various breads - I made mini-scones (orange and pecan), I have a stollen in the freezer that I made before Christmas and I bought some nice rolls

- LOTS of bacon - last year I cooked 2 pounds and it was gone in about 3 minutes.

- "Raspberry" cream cheese braid from the King Arthur flour baking book. Only the raspberry jam I made this summer is all gone so it will have a blueberry filling instead. 

Various juices, lots of coffee (something else we ran out of last year) and, of course, wine. 

If I do this again next year I think I can call it a tradition.

• Like 5

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Such wonderful sounding food. I'm visiting family that includes OU alums so there will be football. I will play with the grandkids as I am not a fan. We are grazing rather than having a meal. I brought my sourdough starter and will make foccacia. We will also have cheese fondue, hopefully one that tastes like the one the children like at Melting Pot, a variety of dippers, meats and fruit. NYD I depart Atlanta and head for Gainesville to visit my brother and niece. 

• Like 4

New Year's Eve: We're going out for dinner, but later that evening, while watching the Cotton Bowl (Go Green! Go White!) with some friends, I'll make this roasted pears recipe from Gourmet/Epicurious. It's one of our very favorite desserts, especially with locally produced goat cheese. I'll probably also bring over a Caroline Cellars (Niagara Peninsula) ice wine.

New Year's Day: In a recent shipment from Rancho Gordo was a recipe for Yellow Eye Bean, Smoked Chicken, and Sweet Potato Chowder. I'll sub black-eyed peas for the yellow eyes, and locally raised smoked turkey for the chicken. To start the day we'll probably hold our annual Mimosapalooza, then eat eggs and Canadian bacon from the aforementioned farm, with challah.

Edited by Alex
more info, rewording (log)
  • Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I had planned on a New Year's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage (my yearly tradition) but my oldest brother gifted me a smoked brisket for Christmas which I portioned out with the extra pieces going into the freezer for later consumption.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

New Year's Eve: Cheerful libations and o̶r̶d̶e̶u̶r̶v̶e̶s̶, h̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶e̶r̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶ , h̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶v̶e̶s̶, h̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶’̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶s̶̶̶, ...ummm...appetizers..yeah..appetizers!!! ;)

• Like 12

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I got a brand spanking new shiny charcoal parilla for Difuntos, so I'm thinking that NYE I'm going to fire that up and grill a ton of the really excellent beef smokies my butcher has been making lately, and maybe a spiral or two of chorizo Ambateño.  Also, there's real bourbon in country now, so many cheerful libations of such.

NYD is probably me searching, hung-overedly, in the fridge for what looks vaguely edible.  So…. fruit salad and cold cuts?

• Like 5

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

So the New Year's Eve plan is meatballs in tomato sauce in the crockpot. The kid requested spag and meatballs which I don't really want for myself. She can have that and later, while watching Bama win (hopefully) the Cotton Bowl, I can multi-purpose them. I grabbed some nice little rolls that should work well for meatball sliders. For New Year's Day, I have a nice chunk of ham left from a couple days ago that's going to become part of a pot of split pea with ham soup. I can get that going early before the games start and not worry about it. Later in the day, during a halftime break, I'm going to toss the stuff in the bread machine for a loaf of bread and call it dinner. If anybody requires more than that, they'll have to cook it. :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dinner tomorrow is settled.  Thanks to nagging from people that are coming, I am doing Feast of the Seven Fishes.  Yes, normally a Christmas Eve thing, but we have normally done it on NYE in my family.  So, the menu is mostly appetizers to be consumed over hours:

fried Wellfleet oysters

mini scallop rolls with smoked paprika aioli

mini lobster sliders on brioche

smoked salmon devilled eggs

tuna sushi (made by and mostly consumed by my niece ha)

bacala fritters

main: linguini with clams, and a simple salad of bitter greens

Lots of champagne and other wines with all.  We are all very great friends and family, and everyone coming is spending the night at my house, so the excess garlic and wine is just fine :-)

• Like 7

• Mine is eclectic - all things friends and I enjoy that do not necessarily "go together".  Lots of short grain sticky rice to sop up juices and act  as a neutral for strong flavors. Proteins :  squid marinated in Korean hot pepper paste etc purchased from the market- to be broiled (no grill now); shrimp in a Vietnamese marinade (sweet,salty,sour); pollack in a ? marinade of olives (really lovely ones), dried cranberries for sweet, dead ripe lemon slices, olive oil, paprika. Steamed brussels sprouts and tiny potatoes with a garlicky, gingery, peppery, mustardy mayo.  Cucumber (Lebanese) in a ginger and fish sauce dressing with lots of green onion.  Purchased chap chae noodles. Oh and a bag of those power greens from TJ's dressed with cilantro dressing and a smoky tomatillo salsa. What a mash up!!!!
  • Like 4

Happy Anniversary Shelby

Not sure what we will be having NYE.  Will be staying with my cuz and his wife at their beach condo.   I have some tuna loin which could go a few ways and have made my yearly Texas caviar with black eyed peas as the base and made 

collards as well.  Got to get the peas and collards in.  Boy do I love collards.  I'm also as thinking of making a salmon 

rillette

• Like 4

Just the two of us this new years.  Asian roast game hen; Black bean/garlic fried crab; steamed baby bok choy and steamed Thai glutinous rice with Champagne to start and some kinda semi sweet wine to go with the meal, probably a Portuguese Antao Vaz from the cellar.

• Like 5