• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What'cha cooking for New Years Eve and Day 2015/2016?

Shelby

On 12/31/2015 at 0:44 PM, Porthos said:

Dinner New Year's Eve will be mundane (two tired bodies coming home from work) but I will be breaking out the Hendricks for some nicer gin and tonics.

We will be at the Disneyland parks NYD and dinner will be a treat. We have reservations for Carthay Circle (it's in Disney California Adventure) where we will dine with good friends. I have never had anything but great food and great service there (and yes I have dined there on the 1st before).

At Cathay Circle I had duck confit and one of the accompaniments was chestnut gnocchi which I especially enjoyed. Service as always was impeccable. We quickly discovered that our server knew part of the party from a renaissance connection. That just added to our pleasure

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

This may sound mundane, but we made pizza: Purchase roma tomatoes (none left in the freezer from the garden) and made sauce. Made the dough (we use whole wheat flour and some additional gluten). Slow braised some beef shanks for about 8 hours. The pizza were a riff on a Phili cheese-steak: tomato sauce, the shredded shank, sauted onions and mushrooms, spinach, and topped with white cheddar and parm. Cooked them on a hunk of granite on the out-door grill for just under three minutes, then topped them with some chopped fresh parsley and scallions. We enjoyed! (Especially since I had a Founder;s Breakfast Stout to accompany mine...)

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, GRoston said:

This may sound mundane, but we made pizza

Pizza is never mundane. Even bad pizza is edible and that definitely doesn't sound like bad pizza.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.