• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

1 minute ago, BonVivant said:

^^, lamb mince. I used packaged kebab spice mix, with added garlic and grated onions. Dough was made from scratch but it was really simple (flour, fresh yeast, water, salt).

Now I am doubly impressed!  They look so evenly shaped I thought they were treat you had eaten in a restaurant.  Not that I don't think you are perfectly capable of making them!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Funny, I was going to ask how you sealed them, because far from looking appalling, I thought they looked appealing.  

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.thumb.jpeg.46b43e2428f56a905c456f8

I know it looks a bit odd. I am battling some issues at the moment that sometimes leave me unable to complete a task as visualized.  All went well until my get up and go got up and went before I had made the dressing.  I subbed in some balsamic glaze which as they say was edible.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.af9e52605ac8e7250ead228

Doesn't get much simpler. Cauliflower and cheese sauce.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.93a0c2c40a87132d1318d78

This is a wheatberry bowl with a spicy peanut sauce, steamed carrots and broccoli and a cooked chicken breast from my freezer. I cooked the wheat berries in the Instant Pot.

Love this type of meal. Reminds me of "gado gado",  an Indonesian (?) dish. How long did you cook the wheat berries, and which setting did you use? 

@kbjesq

I toasted the wheat berries at 375 F for 10 minutes then cooked them in the Instant Pot for 40 minutes and allowed the pressure to come down naturally. (I can thank @rotuts for recommending a note book and even though mine does not have the requisite red cover it still works rather well!)

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

@kbjesq

I toasted the wheat berries at 375 F for 10 minutes then cooked them in the Instant Pot for 40 minutes and allowed the pressure to come down naturally. (I can thank @rotuts for recommending a note book and even though mine does not have the requisite red cover it still works rather well!)

Thank you for this info.  I've not tried toasting wheat berries before cooking but that sounds like it would add a nice flavor.  Last question, did you use high or low pressure?  Or some other function when you cooked for 40 mins in the IP?  I have a huge bag of wheat berries that was gifted to me, so I've been l looking for ways to use them up.  Many thanks and your lunch looked delicious.

1 hour ago, kbjesq said:

Thank you for this info.  I've not tried toasting wheat berries before cooking but that sounds like it would add a nice flavor.  Last question, did you use high or low pressure?  Or some other function when you cooked for 40 mins in the IP?  I have a huge bag of wheat berries that was gifted to me, so I've been l looking for ways to use them up.  Many thanks and your lunch looked delicious.

High pressure.

My 2004 eG Blog

I have taken to doing all my 'saute' (even dry stuff like mustard seeds, etc. for curries, which I guess means I 'toast' those) in my IP before I stop and set it to do other pressure related tasks - but I have not yet tried to toast wheatberries in it. I like the one pot, one utensil, one appliance concept very much lately.

• Like 2

Tiny flank steak tossed into the SV at 56°C for 30 minutes, seared, sliced and served on a pan-toasted, split mini baguette.  No photo because as the shutter appeared to operate an incoming text must have thrown it off!   That's my story.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.a22d77c0b91bda83992ccb3

Black bean soup (Rancho Gordo turtle beans) made in Instant Pot.   Sour cream would have been nice but yogourt had to do.  It is unlikely to become my favourite soup  but I am hoping my daughter will enjoy it.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally excavated the freezer down far enough to find a shoulder roast, which became a pot roast for family Sunday dinner. With potatoes, carrots and onions, and sides of salad and green beans cooked in bacon grease, soy sauce and brown sugar with crumbled bacon over the top. Normally it would have called for rolls, but the kids are low-carbing it so I left them off.

While I was searching for the beef roast, I grabbed a couple of packages of short ribs. They came out of the sous vide last night after being slathered in gochujang and cooked for 72 hours. They're currently reposing in the refrigerator, and about Wednesday, they'll come out, get a coat of galbi sauce, and go in a hot oven for a final roast/sear. I'm thinking rice and kimchi to go with them.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.thumb.jpeg.94a8216bfc021b81d64398a

Test run of the "cold oil start" fries (inspired by @Shelby) and a couple of slices of cold chuck eye.  My teenage granddaughter will be coming for dinner this evening and I wanted to be sure I could make these fries for her. The lengths a grandmother will go:D.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog