• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

I have been eating this butternut squash and pinto bean chili over brown rice all week.  It does not look like much, but it tastes good. I don't usually like to eat the same thing in a row but it has not bothered me with this dish.   Recipe from the New York Timeshttp://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016032-vegetarian-chili-with-winter-vegetables

chili.thumb.jpg.6a988f563811ccc1926ee014

• Like 7

That chili recipe sounds very adaptable, @liamsaunt - I'm putting it on my list!

Had some turnips rolling around the bottom of the veg drawer for way too long and some milk left by house guests so today I made a variation on the Turnip Soup with Turnip Greens recipe from Deborah Madison's Greens cookbook, one of my favorite soups.

IMG_2449.thumb.jpg.c5ae7d0d6ca084372908e

The greens belonging to these particular turnips are long gone so I garnished it with some sautéed kale and cauliflower leaves and a few drops of toasted pumpkin seed oil.

Late lunch.  Could be dinner.  

• Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.838c7ec348e2cd0307f1eff

Leftovers from dinner last evening. Orzo, sweet potato, onion, mushrooms with soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. For lunch I reheated some added a little sour cream and some crunchy  deep fried shallots.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Brunch or lunch? I don't know.

Seaweed Crackers. Basically, Saltine crackers with seaweed. Me likes.

5699f4ff76da2_seaweedcrackers1.jpg.c586f

crackers2.thumb.jpg.3d3f9acbb0d71b7931e5

Today, I spread them with cream cheese and topped with with sliced strawberries.

5699f3d02fb2f_strawberrycreamcheesecrack

I've long liked strawberries with salt and pepper, both of which are supplied by the crackers. The sweetness of the berries sits well with the slight tang of the cream cheese. All the tastes and textures here come together in a way that pleases me.

I had a second plate.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Was a late breakfast or an early lunch. Cheese and onion jam quesadilla with salsa and labneh (no sour cream in house but this made a fine stand-in).image.thumb.jpeg.d5b7b29f027c3378ac761dc

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I don’t usually eat lunch on weekdays, but got a craving today – fried bologna and cheese sandwich and hash browns:

DSCN1186.JPG.07cb88d9e690aa61b3073ef4801

DSCN1187.JPG.931f533992a36f97745cc4804e1

The hash browns were just made in a frying pan.  I preferred them to the waffle iron experiment of a few days ago.  Not ALL crunch like the iron and only a frying pan to wash.  Easy!

• Like 11

Lunch today was eaten here.

56a0717025294_DonkeyNoodles.thumb.jpg.1b

For those who don't read Chinese, here is a clue to their specialty

56a07172ec2b5_donkeynoodles2.jpg.cfd4500

Yes it's my local donkey meat noodle shop. And here is my lunch.

56a0717673201_DonkeyMeatNoodles.thumb.jp

Hand made, wide, flat rice noodles in a broth with donkey meat, Chinese chives and a little chilli oil. Delicious.

It's a popular place and gets packed out at lunchtime, Today I got there a little earlier. But if it is full, there is always the horse meat noodle place round the corner. Although I prefer donkey.

Love the way they have appropriated Shrek's friend.

Almost every dish on the short menu contains donkey meat. They also sell the meat for home cooking.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.thumb.jpeg.658f1e84ae532b3bb123dde

Home made (bread machine) bread with leftover sous vide ribeye steak (Christmas gift) with some pickled ginger.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.fba01e4ec22b179fed5b5d8

Some Rancho Gordo black turtle beans found their way to my house when Kerry Beal returned from San Francisco (they are almost impossible to find in Canada).  So some were cooked in the Instant Pot and turned into this corn and black bean salad with a lime vinaigrette. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Meat is made in France and imported here. I live in a Vietnamese food fan's hell.

uKPryzo.jpg

H3qoOAA.jpg

------------

Sartonic, sausage rolls where I am are eaten with mustard. I like them with both mustard and chilli sauce (separately!).

• Like 3