• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

A recent lunch:

Tuna fish salad and cheese sandwich, pickles, some of my favorite olives – castelvetranos – and blizzard Funyuns (gotta have those).   I just love salad sandwiches - ham, chicken, egg, tuna. 

LOVE Castelvetrano olives.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lunch today was a bit of a hotchpotch of major cross-cultural proportions. Started with a conchiglie, Hunan ham (shailan), cranberry bean, carrot, leek, celery, garlic soup with a chicken stock base.

56ab16ba2da87_shailanpastasoup.jpg.e039d

Then a couple of Chilean avocados with a lime vinaigrette, sea salt from Beihai near the border of China with Vietnam, and mixed pepper (black, white, red and green).

56ab16d238aed_avocadolimesp.thumb.jpg.6e

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Toasted fussili in 3 onions sauce, made with caramelized onions, chives, scallions, garlic, black pepper and eggs for thickening.

The pasta was toasted in a 140dC oven until lovely brown and nutty. The toasting also helps the pasta keep an al-dante texture.

imagep1roxy.thumb.jpg.68ad0373ddab15aadaimageproxy.thumb.jpg.8fbd346ee5ec4483bba

Edited by shain
Pictures (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

On January 24, 2016 at 10:25 AM, liamsaunt said:

This morning I made a couple of things to take for work lunches this week. A wheatberry and vegetable salad

56a516bdb445e_wheatberrysalad.thumb.jpg.

And a turkey vegetable soup made from the remnants of the turkey I roasted for dinner yesterday

56a516bab0ef9_turkeysoup.thumb.jpg.37c36

liamsaunt, I've been admiring that colorful, jewel-like wheatberry salad and delicious looking vegetable soup AND those beautiful bowls all week.  I hope they tasted as good as they look in your photos!

image.thumb.jpeg.21224a38113f75c546af15cimage.thumb.jpeg.2fada3cb51151c673ab86a0

I slept through what most consider a reasonable breakfast hour.  But I had been given a dozen farm fresh eggs and I am determined that I will eat them while they are fresh. So lunch was two of these beautiful eggs poached to perfection in the very traditional way of simmering hot water. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, liuzhou said:

It's a popular place and gets packed out at lunchtime, Today I got there a little earlier. But if it is full, there is always the horse meat noodle place round the corner. Although I prefer donkey.

So how does donkey compare to horse meat? I grew up eating horse meat but never had donkey, so I am curious!

@Anna N, your poached eggs look beautiful, especially on that pretty red plate!

Also motivated by fresh eggs I picked up at the farmer's market yesterday, I made myself a repeat of a breakfast from earlier in the week. Half a leftover chicken tamale and herby green chile rice and beans topped with a poached egg:

IMG_2468.thumb.jpg.df9465ab33ed1c5db6634

The last egg that I poached was so old that the white almost completely separated from the yolk in the water but this one was perfect.

• Like 3

It seems to me that good scallops are a bit on the sweet side.  I love it when I can get them fresh and fairly dry.  Yours look nicely seared and cooked perfectly.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

So how does donkey compare to horse meat? I grew up eating horse meat but never had donkey, so I am curious!

Very similar but donkey is, to my mind, slightly more delicate in flavour. Perhaps slightly sweeter, too.

There is a horse noodle place just round the corner from the donkey shop. I'll try to do a side by side comparison some day.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Pizza party this afternoon:

White pizza with ricotta, mozzarella, eggplant, mushrooms, smoked sea salt, oregano and thyme.

DSCF7348.JPG.be4cfe536ee3c49ff459511da7420160130_143845.jpg.d38b410b08201ef0545e20160130_144638.thumb.jpg.cbb709305b416e

Margarita

20150829_144707.jpg.058fa17ce81b5f3e90a2DSCF5891.JPG.69f62419b5057bfc3f7d6b8b9af

Calzone, filled with eggplant, cherry tomatoes, spinach, mozzarella and some garlic. This one got my mouth burnt all right, this sneaky cheese stay real hot in her little pocket...

20160130_151532.jpg.fd055e265dfd0cff4c3720160130_152914.thumb.jpg.9d5728b230b44720160130_152039.jpg.c52a98b13f914c312d9c

Spicy tomato sauce, goat cheese, mozzarella. olives, cherry tomatoes.

DSCF5892.JPG.b632841ac011eaca281f6c892fa20150829_151458.jpg.439d090a144cde432eac20150829_151453.jpg.ccde4315cab12b68da5c

Ricotta, a, figs, aniseed, black pepper, sea salt.

DSCF5899.JPG.c959152b244a5d560125602804a20150829_154148.jpg.562f1ff76fafe2cb2bd220150829_154027.jpg.e4ba841dce7979d1bb63

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

image.thumb.jpeg.bf03a3e09b5d1a21deed8f9

Roots roasted in olive oil and cider vinegar and then a little Cambozola crumbled over them.  

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham salad on sourdough toast.  Bread & butter pickles and farmer's market tomato.

IMG_2508.thumb.jpg.bd9c6979c18e4aac801c9

I know people think ham salad is ick, but it's a childhood comfort food for me.  I made soup with the bone and some of the trimmings from the holiday ham but stashed some bits and pieces in the freezer.  A query about how to use overcooked pork brought this to mind so I pulled some out, ground it up, mixed in some mustard and mayo and became 6 years old for lunch!

• Like 5

No photos, but I had a piece of homemade sandwich bread, toasted and cut into croutons and topped with a couple of poached egg yolks, along with a wedge of raw cabbage with salt and a glass of homemade vegetable juice cocktail.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

No photos, but I had a piece of homemade sandwich bread, toasted and cut into croutons and topped with a couple of poached egg yolks, along with a wedge of raw cabbage with salt and a glass of homemade vegetable juice cocktail.

Raw cabbage... you are a better veggie eater than I ....I like it shredded in slaw, though.  So maybe I should try it.

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Raw cabbage... you are a better veggie eater than I ....I like it shredded in slaw, though.  So maybe I should try it.

I love to just cut a wedge of it, sprinkle on a little salt, and munch.

Will email you my "jail slaw" recipe. It's a vinegar-based slaw with turmeric, mustard and white pepper.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

image.thumb.jpeg.b5e496988871e90d9507d5d

Toasted (and overloaded) ham and cheese sandwich. There was just a haze of whole grain mustard on the ham side.  The cheese was a gift and it's from the Beehive Cheese Company. This particular one was called Captain John's Cajun. Thank goodness there is some left because the ham overwhelmed it here!   On the side -- the last of the Greek giardiniera ( anxious to attempt making my own).

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh hai, I am Tere and my food photography skills are minimal :)

Picnic lunch today.

Carved Serrano ham from Aldi, toasted walnut bread, lemon marinated green olives, walnuts, Snowdonia Company Black Bomber cheese, a red Shropshire cheese of uncertain provenance, butter and my home made wild damson cheese (the almost black stuff on the cheese plate). Plus pate that I forgot to photograph. Has Bean coffee on left for me with Believe kanji, Rave decaf on right for hubby (with Fun kanji). Hooray for leftovers! :D

IMG_6899 small.jpg

Edited by Tere
Brackets! (log)
  • Like 9