• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Patrickamory, that is some gorgeous chili. Would go awfully well here, where it's been unusally frigid of late.

Sometimes you just feel like meat and two. Well, three if you count the bread, I guess. And yes, that's probably an unhealthy amount of butter on the sweet potato.

meat n 2.JPG

Not sure why my meatloaf fell apart. Still tasted good, though. Edamame succotash, with corn I froze last summer, on the side. A real comfort food meal.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Shelby – why blah on the chicken and dressing dinner?  The chicken looks perfect – nice, crispy skin.  Dressing = good.  And the sprouts look perfectly done.  So why blah?  Is it because there was no gravy :sad:  :wink: ? 

Started dinner last night with a little nibble:

med_gallery_3331_114_159782.jpg

Bleu cheese, apples, pears and Triscuits.  Should have stopped there :hmmm: .  I made a frittata with potatoes, Cheddar and ham:

med_gallery_3331_114_39608.jpg

WAY over-cooked.  Hard and dry and tasteless.  Mr. Kim managed to finish his blanketed with Sriacha:

med_gallery_3331_114_76238.jpg

But we both agreed that it was not a successful effort.  Served beside green beans with a ginger-sesame dressing.  Sigh.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 7

image.jpg

image.jpg

The amazing five-hour duck (Google for many recipes especially the one from Saveur). I actually pulled it at four hours, tented it and returned it to the oven just before dinner. The skin was shatteringly crisp. I served it with some roasted asparagus and some store-bought potato pancakes.

I cut between the thigh and the body before cooking per Jacques Pepin.

My carving is not my best skill!

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

stuffed shells.....I had leftover meat sauce and lactose free mozzarella from making lasagna last weekend.  drained off a container of lactaid cottage cheese and voila..........

salad and bread to go with the shells.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

stuffed shells.....I had leftover meat sauce and lactose free mozzarella from making lasagna last weekend.  drained off a container of lactaid cottage cheese and voila..........

salad and bread to go with the shells.

Change in plans...

chicken thighs on sale at the local PATHMARK, two Andouille sausages in the freezer so gumbo.  Duck fat and lightly toasted flour to make the roux.  Red and white onions with red peppers but no celery(sorry but I have a physical problem with celery) and plenty of garlic along with thyme, basil, oregano and bay.

The shells will be for tomorrow....

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

suz :

Id love to see your Shells. Ive made them from time to time

along w similar ingredients for Lasagna  

shells, ricotta + filling, delicious meat sauce, some melting cheese  ....

baked until bubbling ...

fixes the Soul  !

image.jpg

Bits and bobs. My mind flipped through its Rolodex of recipes for dinner tonight, ran the results through my energy/ambition meter and this was the result. Small homemade buns sliced into thirds and topped with some scallion cream cheese, some smoked pork loin with spicy deli mustard and bits of duck picked off the carcass and topped with some lingonberry sauce.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Stunning dish after stunning dish! This place is really on a roll right now.

shar999: that rotisserie chicken is tempting me to get a rotisserie, even though I have absolutely no place to keep one.

Paul and rotuts: there is no special reason for me to have bought beef that marbly (almost wagyu) for chili except that that was what was available at the butcher that I visited in the middle of the snowstorm. I'm not clear to what extent it changes the nature of the final result during the cooking process. I ate full-fat the first night, and defatted from the fridge two nights later.

Soup.  Smashed garlic & oil, pork spare ribs, salt, water, (simmer), red-streaked edible amaranth (yin choy; 苋菜; jin6 coi3).

DSCN4081a_800.jpg

Lotus root, fresh wood-ear fungus, winter bamboo shoots stir-fried w/ garlic & oil; seasoned; sauce generated; splash of Shaohsing wine, shot of fish sauce; simmer till done.  Eaten w/ Fuzhou (Fookchow) type wheat noodles (麵線; min6 sin3) (misua) (this one).

DSCN4091b_800.jpg

• Like 5

Lotus root, fresh wood-ear fungus, winter bamboo shoots stir-fried w/ garlic & oil; seasoned; sauce generated; splash of Shaohsing wine, shot of fish sauce; simmer till done.  Eaten w/ Fuzhou (Fookchow) type wheat noodles (麵線; min6 sin3) (misua) (this one).

attachicon.gifDSCN4091b_800.jpg

Forgot the ground pork.  Stir-fried w/ the garlic & oil at the beginning.

Kim--I brined the chicken for couple of days.  I put the container outside and it froze a bit....kind of like a salt slushy lol.  I don't know if that made the brine not penetrate as well or what.  Also, I was going to rotiss. it but I was too lazy to bring the rotiss. up from the basement.  So, I roasted it in the oven.  It just tasted bland.  

After working our asses off cleaning a rental house that we own yesterday (I swear on my life the guy must have dumped old grease over and inside the stove at least 50 times.  I've never seen anything like it.  I spent 4 HOURS cleaning it and it's still not sparkling)  we came home famished.  I hadn't eaten anything all day.  Thus, this was the best venison burger I've ever had lol.

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10

Work has been hectic. Still cooking, and viewing everyone's amazing creations. 

So here are we go, a bunch of meals haven't had a chance to contribute here:

dcarch

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fat Tuesday, shrimps on dirty rice

Fattuesdayshrimps.jpg

Fattuesdayshrimps2.jpg

Crispy fried wings for Valentine's Day

crispyricenoodlewings.jpg

crispyricenoodlewings2.jpg

Spaghetti Meatballs

Spaghetti%20amp%20black%20garlic%20meatb

Spaghetti%20amp%20black%20garlic%20meatb

MC Mac& Cheese with black garlic

Mac%20amp%20Cheese%20MC%202.jpg

Mac%20amp%20Cheese%20MC.jpg

• Like 12

image.jpg

Exploring Japanese cuisine once again. Presentation definitely needs work but the food was tasty.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

I have not felt much like cooking.  Tonight I made up a recipe of mayonnaise and had it with a can of tuna on a bed of organic baby spinach, with provolone and a slightly stale potato roll (all store bought).

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou