• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

I had one of those nights last night where I didn't feel like cooking.  But, when you live in the sticks, one must either cook....or forage in the fridge for some super old leftovers.  Feeling uninspired, I remembered we had corned venison languishing deep in the meat drawer.  So, I decided on corned venison hash, eggs from down the road, brussels sprouts, a push around (that's what my husband calls bread with his meal....something he can use to "push around" his food lol) and a bit of homemade hollandaise sauce.

I keep canned refried beans in the pantry for nachos when I don't feel like cooking. I buy what I think of as a good brand, add a bit of minced epazote and a small piece of a frozen pureed chipotle in adobo and the beans are actually pretty good. 

• Like 2

PB :

I got nothing trying to google this

'shells'

Im on this and would appreciate Full Disclosue

if you can stand this 

A billion years ago

I made Stuffed Shells w a beef tomato sauce

then baked

the shell stuffing was the Usual : Full fat ricotta , basil, parmesan, eggs etc

this is one of my many 'Ill die right now for this '

dishes.

• Like 1

My nephew is having a Bacon N Bourbon party next month and I have been trying to think of something to take.  I have seen BBQers make something called Fatties before but never tried one myself until today. I tried a couple of ideas and have settled on one with some variations on the next ones.  A Fattie is often meatloaf sized sausage with cheese and other stuff on the inside and a bacon weave on the outside.  I roasted a couple of poblanos first.

DSCN2434_zps3n1artim.jpg

Then i rolled out some hamburger between two sheets of plastic for one and some pineapple bratwrust for the second.  Wove some bacon on top.  Another sheet of plastic then a sushi roller on top of that and then inverted it so the roller is on the bottom.

DSCN2442_zpsroyy8ymu.jpg

DSCN2447_zps5yttierf.jpg

DSCN2450_zps18wkth1i.jpg

After it was turned over so the hamburger was on top, I sprinkled it with a BBQ rub.  For the bratwurst, I didn't add any additional seasoning.

I put cheese and poblano in the middle of each one. I used string cheese for the beef and queso quesadilla for the second.

This is the first one I did and it was a little messier than the second one

DSCN2453_zpsodnvuqnb.jpg

They got rolled up after taking a knife and scraping off excess meat.

DSCN2452_zpslfiil6sf.jpg

After it was rolled up. I trimmed the bacon.  No one I know ties these things up but I felt better with some string on them which I did right after this picture.

DSCN2461_zpsbhxv27ua.jpg

They went in the smoker @ 225 with apple wood for a little over an hour... until they reached 165 in the center.  They were basted with BBQ sauce and bourbon.

DSCN2465_zpsph24wqwf.jpg

DSCN2468_zps8ax2b0dl.jpg

Here they are out of the smoker. I sprinkled onion rings on the hamburger one.

DSCN2470_zpsgmwmcfmp.jpg

And here they are sliced up.  You could call them bacon sushi rolls if you don't want to call them fatties, I guess.

DSCN2475_zpssnsgck32.jpg

We decided we liked the pineapple bratwurst ones better.  Perhaps next time I'll use a sweet bbq sauce instead of the spicy one I used this time. Also plan to use more chili peppers and cheese.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15

RT

This recipe:

Best Ricotta you can get

Mozzarella--  Can use fresh.. to much water thou

Asiago 

Reggio

above Ratio's  is what I have

Nut meg  fresh grind

salt /white pepper /sugar and Basil/ 2 eggs

maruzze  - is large shells

MY home-made sauce

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

The probe was at 175 when I took it out of the bacon roll and laid it down.  By the time I took the picture, it had cooled down to 91.  Outside temperature today is in the 50's.

damn 50's, and no snow, i liked it better when i thought you your suffering if the 90's... :biggrin:

• Like 1

It actually snowed night before last.  It was just a light dusting and was gone by sun-up. It was fairly cold this morning but daffodils are blooming and is supposed to start warming up some more.  I am really ready for winter to be gone. :)

Host's note: this topic continues in the topic Dinner 2015 (Part 2).

• Like 1