• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

A bit of serendipity:  I had some broken mayonnaise to use up, so I made a salad of baby spinach, Belgian endive, sliced red radishes, seven eighths of a white grapefruit (for the whereabouts of the remaining one eighth white grapefruit please consult the beverage threads) and freshly ground voatsiperifery, the lovely Madagascar spice.

Rarely has a culinary experiment worked so well for me.  I was not sure if I should laugh or cry.  And you will have to take my word for it that the dish was beautiful.

Complimented by M.R. of course.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I made siopao (show-pow) almost all day yesterday. This is siopao filled with Spam, cheese, and egg. Steamed buns are known by various names, but are called siopao on Guam and in the Philippines. It's normally filled with shredded chicken or pork on Guam, and adzuki beans in Japan. However, I ran out of filling and used what I had on hand. Most islanders have had an affinity for Spam since WWII when the US military provided it to troops and villagers.

spam_siopao.jpg

• Like 6

As we have welcomed March with the biggest snow of the year (between 8-10 inches, on top of an inch or so of sleet), I'm resorting to warm comfort foods. Last night it was vegetable beef soup accompanied by a pimiento cheese sandwich with bread and butter pickles on homemade white sandwich bread.

soup n pc.JPG

I seem to have gone through the stew meat that was part of my quarter-steer I purchased last fall, but an exploration of the freezer yielded me a package of soup bones and one of beef shank, amusingly enough labeled "osso buco" by the butcher. I browned those and then boiled them with some aromatics; pulled off the meat, scooped the marrow from the shank, and added that to a pot with two cans of diced tomatoes, a sauteed onion and some garlic, two cups of the beef stock, a package of frozen mixed vegetables, two medium diced potatoes, and assorted spices. It was a little light on salt, but quite pleasing. The pimiento cheese spread is a Southern staple, and one of my very favorites -- 8 oz. each grated sharp cheddar and Velveeta (one of the two things for which I will use Velveeta), 1/2 cup diced pimiento peppers, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne. 

Finished it off with some blackberry pie (purchased at a bakery) and ice cream. 

blackberry pie.JPG

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Excellent Snowy Antidotes for snow, I must say

kayb

I never thought of that.  esp. the Pie a la mode du neige outside..

of course, by now Id be a Blimp, but warm fruit pie, quality vanilla ice cream

would have helped a lot.

more coming My Way, so Ill search out some Pie.

Wow! I will never look at a bowl of pho quite the same from now on.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Constantin Peters

I have no idea that that Obelisk of Piggy Goodness is

but Id bet its mighty tasty.

also, Ive never had a georgian white.

bet it went well.

Like i said, something from the back.

My first experience with georgian wines dates a few years back when they were an accompanyment to a menu i had. Recently however a georgian wine shop has opened in my street and I have been enjoying them ever since. Really complex wines, especially for the price point. Plus, I am told georgias wine tradition dates back over 7 thousand years or so. Highly recommend!

• Like 3

Not the greatest picture, but great flavour. Something from the back of the pork, cooked to about 60c with mustard and fennel, then charred. On potatosotto with dashi and more mustard.

image_zpsc4rpmxrh.jpg

plus georgian white wine

Looks really good.  Back as in spine (loin or shoulder) or back as in rear (leg)?

• Like 1

Patrick – I’d heard that about the salt, so I tasted it before I bought it and we love it. 

liuzhou – So sorry about your camera!  Lowlife, indeed.  Those would have been some awesome pictures, I’m sure.

Kay – ooooohh!  I love sweet pickles on pimento cheese.  Sometimes I even drizzle a little of the juice into the cheese when I make it!

I am thoroughly enjoying the last of the cold weather and snow, but got the taste for a summer dish last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_61589.jpg

Tuna noodle salad.  

• Like 5

Ranz, thanks for the compliment.

----------------

Several recent meals.

Fuzzy squash w/ dried shrimps & cellophane noodles.  (Oil, garlic, salt)

A hybrid btw Harm Choy Tong & Itek Tim.

DSCN4140b_600.jpg

DSCN4144c_600.jpg

Marinated chicken steamed w/ shiitake mushrooms & Prosciutto de Rosa.  Plated on a bed of blanched trimmed kai-lan.  Dressed w/ the steaming juices.

DSCN4148a_800.jpg

Cantonese-style steamed black sea bass.

Flash "stir-fried" hearts of large mustard greens (kai choy).

White rice.

DSCN4160a_800.jpg

• Like 11

My version of a " Swiss steak "

Simple prep-- I used a Prime sirloin cut.. S and P , flour and fry in Onions too!!

Braise in home-made French onion soup, one small can of Hunts tomato sauce and two small cans of generic mushroom.

In the crook pot till done

Dressed with roasted green beans, Mashers and tomato salsa/salad to cut the fat

Swiss Steak 2.jpg

• Like 11

Its good to have Morels

Salmon steamed over onions, diced baked tomato and shaved carrot in white wine sauce, butternut squash, mashed yukons.

Tasted way better than it photographed

IMG_20150308_190022_265.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 10

My version of a " Swiss steak "

Simple prep-- I used a Prime sirloin cut.. S and P , flour and fry in Onions too!!

Braise in home-made French onion soup, one small can of Hunts tomato sauce and two small cans of generic mushroom.

In the crook pot till done

Dressed with roasted green beans, Mashers and tomato salsa/salad to cut the fat

attachicon.gifSwiss Steak 2.jpg

This sounds really good!  I bet I could use venison for this.  Did you do this on low in the slow cooker?  Can you tell me about how long?  Would be a great meal for me to do in the morning to come home to after working at our rental house.

I have not posted in this forum in a very long time.  However, I have been following this thread again for a couple of years now, so thought I would start to share dinners again.  Here are the chickens I roasted for dinner this evening.  I also made potatoes, spinach, brussels sprouts, and carrots.  

I host my parents, my siblings, and their kids every Sunday for an early dinner.  Sometimes my husband's family comes also.  Because of the varied age group and palate preferences on Sundays, those dinners tend to be typical American comfort food meals.  During the week when it is just my husband and me I tend to make spicy meals with less of a focus on meat.

roast chicken.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12