• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

Put masking tape over the light switch, Jo.

Or this.

Child Be Safe Traditional Electrical Light Switch Cover | Child Safety ...

Edited to add that I used to have a switch protector which fit over half of a double switch, so about 1.25" wide.

Edited by TdeV
More (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you for asking.  No.  But that has nothing to do with the freezer.

I now realize that I accidentally turned off the freezer last weekend when I turned off a light switch.

You need these. Many styles and installation options available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Or this.

Edited to add that I used to have a switch protector which fit over half of a double switch, so about 1.25" wide.

You don't understand.  I have a switch protector.  I had to remove the switch protector to get to the switch.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Er––why?

So I could turn off the switch.

Long answer:

Last weekend I installed new firmware in my Wi-Fi access point.  Afterwards two smart outlets were not responsive.  This typically happens when I make changes to the access point.  I know from past experience all that is required is to manually turn the outlets off and on.  One of the outlets I could reach.  The other is underneath a desk.  Even in the best of times it is difficult for me get underneath the desk.  These are not the best of times.

Thus I removed the aforementioned switch protector and turned off the wall switch, waited a few moments and turned the wall switch back on.  Neglecting to remember that the freezer is controlled by the same wall switch as the smart outlet.  Which is the reason I got the switch protector in the first place.  Afterwards the smart outlet worked just fine.

Tonight I cleaned the freezer and used a little bleach.  I shall miss the ice cream.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

So I could turn off the switch.

Long answer:

Last weekend I installed new firmware in my Wi-Fi access point.  Afterwards two smart outlets were not responsive.  This typically happens when I make changes to the access point.  I know from past experience all that is required is to manually turn the outlets off and on.  One of the outlets I could reach.  The other is underneath a desk.  Even in the best of times it is difficult for me get underneath the desk.  These are not the best of times.

Thus I removed the aforementioned switch protector and turned off the wall switch, waited a few moments and turned the wall switch back on.  Neglecting to remember that the freezer is controlled by the same wall switch as the smart outlet.  Which is the reason I got the switch protector in the first place.  Afterwards the smart outlet worked just fine.

Tonight I cleaned the freezer and used a little bleach.  I shall miss the ice cream.

Ah, now I understand. Still, sorry for your losses and all the extra work.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TdeV said:

Or this.

Very strange! Your reply to Jo’s post didn’t show up for me until just now, 7ish pm PST. 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Time to add a remodel gang box beside that one so you can hardwire the freezer outlet and keep the switch.  That sucks.  Sorry.

Forty three year old rental apartment.  Not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll never again cram so much stuff into my freezer drawer that it won't close completely!!!

Items had fallen off the back of the drawers onto the base of the freezer.  Couldn't see them let alone get hold of them.  Panic set it.

Got a mop handle and rooted around 'til  could pull them out.

Had to pour myself a glass of wine.

Edited by lindag
typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

I shall never again roll out the pastry for my peach galette and neglect to move it to the parment lined baking sheet before filliing it. I was quite happy with how lovely it looked, one of my better attempts, then realized I would have to transfer it to the baking sheet. I tried a number of double cake spatula maneuvers before basically scrunching it together with my hands and plopping it on said sheet. Of course all of that caused the pastry to warm up. Into the freezer it went for 10 minutes. Just looked at it after the initial high heat bake and it's not looking pretty. I evision it being served it dessert bowls...

• Delicious 1
  • Sad 8

On 8/23/2023 at 2:16 PM, lindag said:

Items had fallen off the back of the drawers onto the base of the freezer.

Been there. Done that. Done that. Done that. Done that. Done that. :S

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Been there. Done that. Done that. Done that. Done that. Done that. :S

Oh yes in the fridge, I knew I had X and it disappeared, but the shelves are opaque so I did not realize. Hard to extract.

47 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I shall never again roll out the pastry for my peach galette and neglect to move it to the parment lined baking sheet before filliing it. I was quite happy with how lovely it looked, one of my better attempts, then realized I would have to transfer it to the baking sheet. I tried a number of double cake spatula maneuvers before basically scrunching it together with my hands and plopping it on said sheet. Of course all of that caused the pastry to warm up. Into the freezer it went for 10 minutes. Just looked at it after the initial high heat bake and it's not looking pretty. I evision it being served it dessert bowls...

That's tragic.

• Like 1

Not as bad as I had feared although not the beautiful specimen that it could have been. Our guests tonight are a bachelor friend of my husbands, who truly appreciates anything home cooked and my two  20-something nephews both of whom apparently have hollow legs.

peach.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Not as bad as I had feared although not the beautiful specimen that it could have been. Our guests tonight are a bachelor friend of my husbands, who truly appreciates anything home cooked and my two  20-something nephews both of whom apparently have hollow legs.

peach.jpg

They won’t even notice!!

😋🥰

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again attempt to eat strawberry rhubarb pie at the computer.  Pie was good though.

OK.  I'll bite.  Why?

• Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

OK.  I'll bite.  Why?

I rather thought is was obvious.  Sticky desk, sticky chair, sticky hands.  Remarkably no pie got on the keyboard.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I rather thought is was obvious.  Sticky desk, sticky chair, sticky hands.  Remarkably no pie got on the keyboard.

Ha ha! I almost replied that you were busy cleaning gooey, delicious pie filling from your keyboard.

• Haha 1