• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

An hour after I posted the above story, I had a small explosion in my own microwave.

I will never again use the "melt butter" function twice without stirring between times, even though some of the butter is still solid.

Been there done that.  Awful mess.

• Like 4

I did it *twice* today, this time without doubling the time. I'm going to take the excellent advice above! (Or else use the stovetop.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've always used full power, too. This last microwave that I've had is the only one that has a specific button for melting butter. In fact till today I didn't even know that butter exploded. I never heard of such a thing.

I did have a neighbor that set her brand new microwave on fire by melting butter when microwaves were something new. I asked her how in the world she did it and she said that she set it for 5 minutes. As far as I know she never bought another microwave, thank God.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

went to Amazon , 

and covers are quite cheap 

Rock 4 Pack of Microwave Plate Bowl Splatter Cover. Keep Your Microwave Clean While Heating Messy Items with Vented, Colorful Lids! (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

not that Im recommending these , as I don't know how sturdy they are 

4 too many ?

how about two :

Nordic Ware BPA-free and Melamine Free Plastic Splatter Microwave Cover, 10-Inch (Pack of 2), Clear (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

make sure your choice has a hole for venting staem  not sure the two above do.

Good Luck

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding exploding butter...don't discount the possibility that it was exacerbated by the issues being reported of diminished butter quality in some brands (more water). I also cut the butter into chunks before melting, and do the melting in short bursts of full power with stirring between. Only once did I superheat water in the microwave, in a Pyrex measuring cup, thankfully it was just water and I realized what happened so I avoided getting burned.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Funny story but also kind of sad. I have a friend that that happened to and now he won't heat water in the microwave to make tea because he is convinced that all the radiation from the microwave is trapped in the water and if he drinks the water from the microwave he will get cancer. He's about 200 lb overweight, smokes like a chimney, and drinks like a fish and he's worried about water from the microwave.

• Sad 5

Not an eG'er, thank goodness, but sort of related to what we've recently been posting about, we have this, from New Zealand: 

The man decided he wanted steak and chips for dinner and made the unusual decision to put his steak in the toaster. He left it to cook while he went down the road to buy some chips from the local fish-and-chip shop. 

A fire broke out, causing significant damage to the home he and his partner shared. 

-----------------

"Cooking steak in a toaster is literally a recipe for disaster" [said the insurance ombudsman].

• Haha 6

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I will never again pick up my Rubbermaid flour cannister by the lid. I t was almost full and holds 5 lbs of flour. As I was picking it up, I thought to myself "I shouldn't hold it like this." Before that thought was even processed, it had hit the floor and dusted most of my kitchen. I had no idea how slippery a skiff of flour on the floor can be!🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

6 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

had hit the floor and dusted most of my kitchen.

And isn't it amazing how far that flour can fly. I feel for you. The last time I did that it was an almost full quart jar of Kalamata olives.

• Sad 5

One of the big adjustments I had when my ex and I were first together was the issue of jars/canisters and their lids. I NEVER put a lid back on a jar or canister without tightening it. She, for her part, ALWAYS did so, but habitually checked and tightened lids before picking things up.

That led to a lot of floor-cleaning, when I was putting things away.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I will never forget the worst spill that I ever had. I was working in a little restaurant in Lake Tahoe and I had just finished making a five gallon tub of blue cheese dressing. When I went to put it in the cooler, the lid came off and it landed Square on its bottom on the tile floor. The entire white blob came flying straight up like something out of the green Lagoon and hit me square in the face. I was blue cheese dressing from head to toe. To make matters worse, it was the beginning of my shift and I had to spend the entire 8 hours smelling like dog vomit. It definitely made a lid Checker out of me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

On 1/7/2024 at 4:24 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

I've never had anything explode in my microwave but if you have an hour or two I will tell you about when my pressure cooker exploded. Not one surface in the kitchen was spared.

i probably could better you with our pressure cooking experience..... we had just finished up butchering a pig and for some reason that i don't remember, we put the head in the pressure cooker.   now when that went it, blew a crater in the stove and also shot bones, and teeth into the walls and cabinets.  i wish we had taken a picture of the disaster. it was quite the memorable sight to see...

• Haha 5

On 1/15/2024 at 11:46 PM, aliénor said:

probably could better you with our pressure cooking experience..

I've been thinking about this and the mental image is horrific. I can't imagine the cleanup after something like that. I hope nobody was injured in the explosion.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

I shall never again misplace a wine rack.  A wine rack I have to review.  How can one lose a wine rack?

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou