• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 4)

Darienne

I wish I could be sure that I will never again.... 

I tore apart my cellar chest freezer yesterday to make room for the recently frozen (in the dog freezer) tomato sauce and Eggplant Parmesan.  (It is this freezer's swan song as I am beyond using it any more and the new-to-us upright freezer will be here within a couple of weeks.  We've had this  freezer since the early 70s and it still works well.  I just hate it.)

So out it all came, so much stuff to sort through, including three unidentified meals... probably hamburger and something or other.  New comprehensive lists made.  

By the time I was finished, I was really exhausted and needing desperately to lie down.  

So this morning, when taking down said tomato sauce and Eggplant, I realized that I had left out two ready made pie shells and two boxed pizzas.  The pie shells went back into the freezer and now we are having pizza for lunch instead of our usual Sunday bacon and eggs and tomatoes.  The second of the pizzas is also being cooked and then will be frozen.        

I hope I am not risking food poisoning.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will never again (I hope) be so tired when we unpack the Princessmobile after moving that I simply put the travel lunch cooler out of the way for later. I found our missing grapes in it, quite moldy, yesterday. At least there was no question of food poisoning.

• Sad 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I will never again (I hope) be so tired when we unpack the Princessmobile after moving that I simply put the travel lunch cooler out of the way for later. I found our missing grapes in it, quite moldy, yesterday. At least there was no question of food poisoning.

Being overtired is an invitation for disaster obviously.  Which both of us were.  Time to take some time off.  Past time...

I'll get back on the food poisoning thing....:raz:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

I shall never again almost pour white wine over my bowl of Cheerios.  Fortunately I caught myself.  Full disclosure, opioids were involved.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again shake my evening mai tai without the shaker lid in place.

Actually, I think you've mentioned this before. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again almost pour white wine over my bowl of Cheerios.  Fortunately I caught myself.  Full disclosure, opioids were involved.

Were you having cheerios at cocktail hour or having wine for breakfast? Or did you wake up at five am and raid the fridge? We need more details in order to assess the level of your depravity.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Were you having cheerios at cocktail hour or having wine for breakfast? Or did you wake up at five am and raid the fridge? We need more details in order to assess the level of your depravity.

Cheerios for breakfast, with cold liquid from the refrigerator.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 2:08 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank God no blood or skin was involved.

There may have been, I don't remember.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The bad news is it already had roots and branches?

No, but the sweet potato next to it did.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I shall never again trip and spill the ice, stepping backwards from the freezer where stuff was starting to fall out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Sounds messy, Jo.

As things go, a little ice is not all that messy.  What would have been messy is if I had hit the floor.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Oh no, can you salvage anything?

Cooking some stuff at the moment.  I have no idea how long the food has been at room temperature.  This freezer does not automatically restart after a power outage.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I hope it wasn't that warm, you tossed most of it, and you live to post another day.

I cooked and ate some of it, wished I hadn't, and pitched the rest.  If you don't hear from me you know what happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I cooked and ate some of it, wished I hadn't, and pitched the rest.  If you don't hear from me you know what happened.

Cleaning up after that sounds like a miserable chore. Maybe a bigger, smarter fridge is in your near future. So sorry! However my impression is that if we don't hear from you any number of things could be the reason.  So keep talking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@JoNorvelleWalker. Are you okay?

Thank you for asking.  No.  But that has nothing to do with the freezer.

I now realize that I accidentally turned off the freezer last weekend when I turned off a light switch.

• Sad 6