• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things from Infomercials that are useful in your kitchen

Kerry Beal

Over on a thread about Nutribullet Weinoo mentioned that he didn't feel that anything from an infomercial belonged in his kitchen.

It got me thinking about things I have played with where that is very true - the Eggstractor being one that we had a lot of fun playing with when we found it at a thrift store - but totally useless in the real world.

But if I'm not mistaken Foodsavers started out on the infomercials - and I love all my Foodsavers and wouldn't be without in in all my various kitchens.

Had a George Forman gril for the longest time that I used fairly frequently before I moved on to bigger and better things.

So what do you think - anything you've seen on an infomercial and added to your kitchen with success?

Of course I'd love to hear about the totally useless items as well.

well, I did mention the Magic Bullet in the former thread. I saw it...I wanted it. And then what I didn't say is that I didn't use it for at least five years. Now I use it only for Ed's Smoothies when he will agree to having one for breakfast. Otherwise, it's just TOO small to bother with.

I think it may be my one television infomercial weakness in over 53 years of blessed bliss.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Vitamix claims to have made the first infomercial in 1949, https://www.vitamix.com/Corporate-Information/About-Us, and Blendtec is certainly an infomercial product. Love my Vitamix.

On the other side is the Easy Cracker https://www.ezcracker.com/ fun infomercial, but a definite learning curve on the device...

ETA: easy cracker

Edited by Quiltguy (log)

Have a food saver which gets regular use and a large George Forman grill which is taking up space in an upper cabinet. Gave it to the kids when they were in college. Now it's back. In the past I used it to toast a Cuban sandwich and grill some BSCB. It was easy to clean

Had a Thunder Stick immersion blender which was a knock off of the Bamix. Used it for quite a few years and it worked well.

Better than others I've owned but it finally bit the dust and has been replaced with a Bamix.

That's my history with products seen on infomercials. But only the Thunder Stick was purchased from an infomercial.

... the Eggstractor being one that we had a lot of fun playing with when we found it at a thrift store - but totally useless in the real world.

The one and only infomercial product I ever bought. When you are peeling 30-40 HB eggs at a time any legitamate timesaver would be appreciated. THIS was not it.

I must admit that when I am in stores with the "As Seen OnTV" endcaps with those sorts of things I like to quietly mock most of what I see.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On the definite plus side: I've got a Slap Chop; it's the same sort of creature as other plunger-choppers, but it's got one major advantage - the sides of the thing open outwards to make it easier to clean above the blades (where stuff seems to get stuck easily during operation.) I've also had LaLane power juicers, which only got left behind when I moved because they were too heavy - the Kitchenaid was coming, but I couldn't justify the juicers too. I've also got a Eurosealer, which is a handheld heat-sealing iron, and that was probably the best $20 I've ever spent at "As Seen on TV" (I've never actually ordered from an infomercial, but the store in the mall is another thing....)

On the definite minus side: any of the "time saving" egg cracker/separator devices (too many to name!), and I had a hot-air popcorn popper that gave up the ghost the moment I plugged it in....

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Hey, I have a Slap Chop, too. I really like it.

Very functional.

In fact, it sells itself.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-vidalia-chop-wizard/-/A-10397839?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10397839&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10397839&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10397839&gclid=CKTs66Pny7oCFceDQgod-l0AGQ

Toots' daughter gave this to me, and I use it once a year, when Toots makes a HUGE amount of goulash for her extended family, and I'm the designated onion dicer / chopper. It sure saves my arthritic hands, and it's kind of fun to slam down the lid and dice those onions.

... Shel

I have never bought anything directly but am glad others have. I had a Magic Bullet bought from a thrift store, I still have and often use a vertical rotisserie inherited from my daughter (makes fabulous chickens and ducks). Many, many years ago I owned a round table-top oven made by the same company that makes a well-known dehydrator, both sold on T.V. And I bet there are things I have long forgotten.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-vidalia-chop-wizard/-/A-10397839?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10397839&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10397839&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10397839&gclid=CKTs66Pny7oCFceDQgod-l0AGQ

Toots' daughter gave this to me, and I use it once a year, when Toots makes a HUGE amount of goulash for her extended family, and I'm the designated onion dicer / chopper. It sure saves my arthritic hands, and it's kind of fun to slam down the lid and dice those onions.

The reviews look great. Think I might have to get one of these.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm long overdue for a good fish fry with some fish caught with my Pocket Fisherman and some fries nicely cut with my Veg-O-Matic. :smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My wife bought one. It is a PITA to get clean. I won't use it.

I've not found it to be at all difficult to clean ... just some hot, soapy water and a good faucet stream, and Bob's your uncle.

... Shel

I've not found it to be at all difficult to clean ... just some hot, soapy water and a good faucet stream, and Bob's your uncle.

Well, I've ordered it. I love onions but hate chopping them, so I'm looking forward to getting it. As for cleaning, I'm hopeful I can just stick it in the dishwasher.

• Like 1

Well, I've ordered it. I love onions but hate chopping them, so I'm looking forward to getting it. As for cleaning, I'm hopeful I can just stick it in the dishwasher.

When I received it, I thought it was pretty hokey, but when there's 10-lbs of onions to chop or dice, it comes in pretty handy. I think it'll go into the dishwasher, although I don't recall if I ever did it.

Just a word: sometimes the chopping isn't as nice and neat as when using a knife, but for my purposes, it was not an issue at all. My knife skills ain't that great anyway ..

• Like 1

... Shel

I was truly tempted by the Ronco pasta machine thingie. You put your flour and eggs in, and it mixed and needed for you. The flipped a lever and extruded the pasta. Looked cool. I'm guessing that it would not work at home like it does on the teevee.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I'm long overdue for a good fish fry with some fish caught with my

and some fries nicely cut with my
. :smile:

Oh I forgot I have a veg-o-magic I bought my mom for Mother's Day a lifetime ago when I was a kid. She gave it back to me when she moved out of her house and I can't bare to get rid of it

I have never owned a pocket fisherman but my cousin has one. When his wife was away he couldn't find the leash to take the dog out for a walk but spied the pocket fisherman in the garage. So off he went to smoke a cigar and walk the dog. Long story short as a neighbor is walking down the street with her dog his takes off as he desperately tries to set the drag. Weeeee...

Very Larry David. Could have been an episode from Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 5

I only bought 2 infomercial kitchen gadgets in the past and I rather like them both:

Magic Bullet: I don't use it as much as I used to, but I still make smoothies out of it. That's about it though.

Geoge Foreman Grill: Used it a lot for about 4 years. Recently threw it away. Will not replace. I sous-vide and then sear meat now, countertop grills are a thing of the past :wink:

Edited by EMG (log)

Geoge Foreman Grill: Used it a lot for about 4 years. Recently threw it away. Will not replace.

I never knew my GF grill had been on an infomercial. I have mine stashed away in the garage. I liked the way it grilled up meats but it was a serious pain in the backside to clean. So it sits gathering dust...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I really enjoy my FoodSaver, I even use it for keeping cat food fresh.

I also own one of the original Rotato peelers. I have used it to make garnishes and bird's nest potatoes. There is an electric version now, but people complain that it isn't as sturdy as the original model.

• Like 1

Hey, I have a Slap Chop, too. I really like it.

Very functional.

In fact, it sells itself.

:cool:.

I'm a Slap Chop-per, as well.

Back when I could eat grapefruits, I used the "Grapefruit Cutter" to make quick work of cutting it up.

I used to have a Ronco Dehydrator. I'd make beef jerky every year to give out as Christmas treats to my family. But I donated it to my brother who now uses it to dehydrate his chile pepper harvest from his backyard plants. In return, I get a jar of kick-ass chile pepper flakes from him every Christmas. A nice trade-off. :wink:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My parents gave me one as a stocking stuffer one year, and I use it fairly often. Yes, it goes into the dishwasher and comes out clean. I suspect that the dishwasher isn't doing the cutting blades any favors - any more than it would any sharp knife - but that hasn't stopped me. On the other hand, if I'm handwashing other items I'll just handwash it - my experience is the same as Shel's with regard to easy cleaning.

The one drawback I've seen is that I have to cut the onions into quarters or eights to get them to fit the grid, and for me to get enough leverage. It's still less knife work, and a fairly even dice, and it controls the pieces and tear-inducing juices.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown