• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Things I Can't Believe I Didn't Know About

Katie Meadow

On 3/6/2024 at 1:17 PM, lindag said:

I have a lot of countertop kitchen appliances and my cleaning woman comes in she has to move them all to wipe the counters (she's very thorough).  I just found these and these which will be helpful for both of us.

Also, these freeze dried herbs eG-friendly Amazon.com link)are really worth buying.

Thanks! Getting some of those appliance gizmos and making note of the herbs for when I need them.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 3:41 PM, lindag said:

@Kim Shook

Will do.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Finally today I started adding these to some of my countertop appliances.  I was worried at first because most of them already had some kind of buttons on the bottom to prevent slipping.  However, so far I've not had and problems applying them.  The ones I've done slide beautifully and they're super easy to apply.

I have about four more to go but I give them a big thumbs up.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2024 at 10:17 AM, lindag said:

I have a lot of countertop kitchen appliances and my cleaning woman comes in she has to move them all to wipe the counters (she's very thorough).  I just found these and these which will be helpful for both of us.

Also, these freeze dried herbs eG-friendly Amazon.com link)are really worth buying.

I only have my CSO and Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter so I didn't need the sliders*.  All my other "countertop" appliances live in cabinets and I sometimes manage to inadvertently lasso an unsuspecting appliance with the cord of the one I'm pulling out to use so I ordered the little adhesive cord organizers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that you mentioned.  

I put them on my coffee grinder, food processor, immersion blender, Philips indoor grill and Paragon induction burner.  The grill has a very wide, flat cord that doesn't quite slip under the loop to fasten it at the end but, other than that, they're all working quite nicely.  I use the coffee grinder every day and thought it might be annoying to have to unwind and rewind the cord each time but it's not a problem and worth the effort to avoid having the cord drag the citrus juicer out of the cabinet and on to the floor and they're much easier than zip ties, twisties or Velcro straps. 

I think I'll put the last one on the Instant Pot. 

Thanks for the tip!

* Edited to add that I am the cleaning woman and I'm not all that thorough 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

these items are a fine idea.

newer iPots have a cord that unplugs from the unit .

wonder why iPot  ( or others ) didn't do that some time ago.

my AF  plug does not unplug from the unit.

odd.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Finally today I started adding these to some of my countertop appliances.  I was worried at first because most of them already had some kind of buttons on the bottom to prevent slipping.  However, so far I've not had and problems applying them.  The ones I've done slide beautifully and they're super easy to apply.

I have about four more to go but I give them a big thumbs up.

It just occurred to me that the thing I was thinking of using them on is probably a bad idea.  I was thinking that they would be great on my KA mixer.  It is SO heavy and it sits far back in the only corner of my counter top.  That is really the only place for it and it's a pain to pull out to use.  But if it has the sliders on it, I'm betting that it would slide right off the counter when I'm mixing something heavy. It already shimmies a bit.  LOL.  I think I'd better stick to manhandling it.  Thank you!  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It just occurred to me that the thing I was thinking of using them on is probably a bad idea.  I was thinking that they would be great on my KA mixer. 

I see what you mean; I opted to not put them on Zo bread machine for the same reason.  My big KA mixer lives on a rolling cart so I didn't want them on it either.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

wonder why iPot  ( or others ) didn't do that some time ago.

my AF  plug does not unplug from the unit.

Most makers now use permanently fixed cords to discourage users from running longer cords and further to receptacles, and to minimize the chances of shorts and shocks from spills and slops.  Some, like on the Anova SV circulator, are absurdly short.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Most makers now use permanently fixed cords to discourage users from running longer cords and further to receptacles, and to minimize the chances of shorts and shocks from spills and slops.  Some, like on the Anova SV circulator, are absurdly short.

My Anova circulator cord is removeable, one reason that I love it so.  I use a shorter cord than the original.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This is my current Anova:

IMG_3617.thumb.jpg.c96ff67eda58a2a99598ed20ab6c15e4.jpg

I received it about a week ago, as it was on back order for about a month.  its version 3.0

it was apparently on sale @ Anova for $ 149 , and at similar time was $ 188. at Amazon

there is a more expensive Anova , for about $ 250 or so I believe.  

i got this one as my workhorse , which Ive had for quite a while got the heebee-jeebees 

as the water lever dropped too low and I did not notice , and it shut off.

I couldn't figure out how to revive it ,and reset it , so bought this one. its not easy to see , but the cord entering

the unit is fixed.

the older one functioned , but the actual temp of the water , and the temp recorded on the screen

were wildly different.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Sad 1

The recent change to short cords ( like 12") drives me crazy. I have to put the appliances so close to the edge of the counter, I am always afraid they will get knocked or "walk off" the edge. My food processor before last had a retractable cord - was perfect.

• Like 2

I didn't think I had anything to contribute here, and then I remembered the small, magnetic shelves that are attached to the fridge and (not shown) to a side of the Breville countertop oven.  Since my kitchen is small and space is at a premium, these shelves are very handy. They come in a few sizes and are available through Amazon.

Click here to see an example (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

RefrigeratorShelves.jpg.0036120b394fd00e0232184b1ccf0c6b.jpg

• Like 6

... Shel

6 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Huh, mine's not.

Is there some socket your cord plugs into?

Anova Cord.jpg

Yes, there is a socket.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, gfweb said:

I think this short cord/not detachable thing is simply economizing and not safety.

To my eye we've passed the point of diminishing returns, there, and have reached "perverse incentive" status. The cords are now short enough that those of us whose kitchens weren't built within the past decade are mostly forced to use an extension. Thankfully most of my current appliances are of the "vintage" variety and have a cord of usable length.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning