Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Egg and Dairy Free Buttercream

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alligande

alligande
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for all tha assistance on this posting "cake ideas for a Bride with allergies" got the cake sorted now I need to figure out the butter cream for the crumbcoat. The cake is going to be Choclate with a choclate ganace filling made with Soy. The Bride is allergic to wheat, cow dairy, and eggs.
Normally I use IMBC or french buttercream, does any one have any suggestions on what to use, I never use crisco for icing so I am clueless :wacko:
Thanks Karen

#2 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream. I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils. If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#3 alligande

alligande
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:27 AM

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream.  I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils.  If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.

View Post

Thanks for the info, I dont use crisco because I dont like the taste of that style of buttercream, So I was hopeing someone could recomend a version that wasnt bad. thanks

#4 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:49 AM

I put a recipe out in RecipeGullet a while ago for a vegan buttercream.  I know you don't use crisco, but this frosting uses a shortening without any hydrogenated oils.  If you are not using crisco for that reason, this should help you out.

View Post

Thanks for the info, I dont use crisco because I dont like the taste of that style of buttercream, So I was hopeing someone could recomend a version that wasnt bad. thanks

View Post

I know where you are coming from -- but with a bride allergic to eggs and cow dairy, I'm not sure what you are going to make it with... This one isn't really too bad -- not IMBC, but it is light and creamy.

However, I have seen a recipe for marshmallow fondant that you make with marshmallows and powdered sugar. On line, I found this ingredient list for the marshmallows --

Important Information
Ingredients
"Corn Syrup, Sugar, Dextrose, Modified Cornstarch, Water, Gelatin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Artificial And Natural Flavor, Artificial Color (Includes Blue 1)."

If she can't have eggs, this may work, with a thin layer of the vegan buttercream underneath to secure the fondant.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#5 alligande

alligande
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the input Cheryl,
I am going to use regular fondant, so the buttercream is just for the crumb coat, I just didnt want it to be the shortening, powdered sugar variety, I will give yours a go.

#6 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

why can't you use the ganache filling as the crumb coat? would it be too dark under the fondant?

#7 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

could you use a white chocolate ganache? Test it first, only because in my experience, ganache doesn't have the "sticky" factor that helps to hold the fondant on. When I use it, I put a thin coat on just before I put the fondant on and that helps.

#8 cakesuite

cakesuite
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:45 AM

White ganache will have milk solids in it. A dark ganache won't show through iif the fondant is thick enough.

#9 alligande

alligande
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:02 AM

White choclate is out, contains dairy, I was also concerned about using ganache as the crumb coat as I wondered if it would make the fondant less white, and as jeannecake said will it provide the sticky surface for the fondant to stick to, I was also worried if you can get it smooth enough for the fondant covering. Any one tried ganache as a crumb coat?

#10 Lkfarkas

Lkfarkas
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

I use a buttercream that is a bit less sweet than regular bc's. It's made w/crisco, though. It's like a cross between whipped cream (texture-wise) and bcream. Maybe it'd work for you? I use it under my FondX or SatinIce.
The recipe is:
2/3 c. tepid water
2 c. confectioner's sugar
1/4 c. merengue powder
heaping 1/8 teaspoon salt (popcorn salt)
3 teaspoons flavor - vanilla, almond, whatever...

Beat these with a whip attachment on medium until smooth. Add 28oz crisco and whip on medium for 6-10 minutes. It's done when it rises up in the bowl. Covers a half-sheet, or a 14" 2-layer round w/borders.

Edit to add: I just realized I'm a moron....merengue powder is out for you (eggs)....I have made this recipe w/out it, and it's fine...just a bit less whippy.

Edited by Lkfarkas, 15 April 2006 - 10:59 AM.

~Lisa
www.TheCakeAndTheCaterer.com
Bloomington, IN