Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

How expensive is $25?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:19 AM

Eric, in your interview with Fat Guy, you touched on controversy over the more expensive restaurants reviewed in "$25 and Under." Please explain why a lovely restaurant like August, where a friend and I had normal-sized three-course dinners without beverage for $78 and change (not including tip), belongs in "$25 and Under," and also discuss whether you don't believe it deserves a star or two. (You can read both positive reports and demurrals about the restaurant as a $25-and-under in this thread.) Also, would you like to suggest any other restaurants you reviewed in the "$25 and Under" column as worthy of star ratings, and would you like to discuss the controversy over Bruni's awarding two stars to Sripraphai? I hope that isn't too many questions.

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

Let's be honest about the $25 cutoff. It made literal sense in 1992. Nowadays it communicates generally that this restaurant is going to be cheaper than the other restaurant on the page, and that it's going to be a good value.

August is one example of a restaurant that stretched the literal bounds of the $25 and Under column, but in the context of Greenwich Village 2004, or whenever I reviewed it, I thought it was a modestly priced restaurant that might not have warranted a main review. I could be wrong about that, but at the time I thought it might otherwise have been ignored.

People always made a big deal about those reviews, but I tried to intersperse these more expensive restaurants with a $4.95 all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant and places like that.

Is there a problem with awarding two stars to Sripraphai?

#3 jogoode

jogoode
  • participating member
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:45 PM

Is there a problem with awarding two stars to Sripraphai?

View Post

I don't think so, but...
JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!
www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

#4 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:45 AM

I have a followup question:

Eric, do you feel like some of the restaurants you reviewed in "$25 and Under" deserve a star or two according to your interpretation of the New York Times star ratings? Or is that question irrelevant to your way of thinking about those restaurants?

#5 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Pan,

Actually, some restaurants that I reviewed in $25 and Under eventually did get stars. I was the first to review 71 Clinton Street, and more recently Petrosino. Believe it or not, I reviewed Jewel Bako when it first opened and it was possible to eat there for less than $25. Perhaps on some level I realized that all of these places were worthy of stars, but I wanted to write about them and it wasn't really my job to tell other people what I felt they ought to write about. There are plenty of other places that I reviewed that could have stars under other circumstances -- Al Di La, Grand Sichuan, 360 come to mind -- but that's the way things go.