Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Le Champignon Sauvage

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#391 PhilD

PhilD
  • participating member
  • 706 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have some sympathy with David's view of LCS having visited back in Feb '08. I re-read my post from back then and was very surprised to see I loved the food and wine list but disliked the lighting and service. Four years on from that meal and all I recall is the extremely poor service and the very frosty Helen (an no not a tape recorder in sight) - I don't recall the food at all.

This probably ties into to the research mentioned upthread about all the factors that lead to the enjoyment of a meal. Good food, and good food but overridden by my memories of the frosty service. I was surprised as the board had been very fulsome in its praise about the warmth and high standard of the service. I wonder did this missed expectation lock this part of the experience in my memory?

#392 Soundman

Soundman
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

Congratulations to everyone at LCS on their 25 years.

I'll get that review done sooner or later, working 28 days straight over the build up to the Olympics, and over the games themselves takes it out of you.

#393 tony h

tony h
  • participating member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

v excited- Essence II has just turned up - simply stunning
i know what i'll be doing this weekend (probably staring at the page thinking wtf...)

#394 CalumC

CalumC
  • participating member
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

How does it compare to Essence? Just new recipes? Will be picking it up in any case!

As this is sort of the Cheltenham thread by proxy, I'm going to give Purslane a go next week I think. I believe the chef did a stint at LCS (I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure I met one of the owners a while back while working at another restaurant nearby). It has a lean towards seafood and the like which we have been missing. I'll report back if all goes to plan.

#395 Copycat123

Copycat123
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Did anybody see great British menu, north east? I recall seeing Colin mcgurran plating a dish at his restaurant which appeared drastically similar to David's 'signature' beef tar tar and corned beef dish, he did remove the style and sophistication from the dish to make it his own!!! Good to see David inspiring the most senior chefs within the industry, just pitty the void of indivaulality on Colin's side!!!

Makes you wonder how much of his menu is an imalgamation of borrowed dishes?!!!

Does anyone have views on stealing complete dishes from competent chefs to mask as they're own?

#396 Gary Marshall

Gary Marshall
  • participating member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

The tomato dish looked surprisingly like a 'homage' to Heston's meat fruit.
you don't win friends with salad

#397 Robert45

Robert45
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

A 'homage' indeed. One supposes that when a chef is desperate for attention, like the above, then employing the ideas of others is probably seen as next best thing. Im sure many seasoned eaters, chefs etc can and do see right through these sort of 'give me fame' types. On a final note, I thought the three chefs representing the north east where a little lame, considering the genuine talent in the area.  

Edited by Robert45, 22 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#398 Gaston

Gaston
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Question is if Heston's meat fruit is a hommage to (or a rip off of) Louis Outhier's pêche de foie gras.

#399 tony h

tony h
  • participating member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

DEM is on Hairy Bikers and on Saturday Kitchen next week (6th & 9th March).  yup - he'll be doing the omelette challenge! ;-)

#400 Jon Tseng

Jon Tseng
  • participating member
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Question is if Heston's meat fruit is a hommage to (or a rip off of) Louis Outhier's pêche de foie gras.

My suspicion on this one is that correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

If it was a Thuilier dish not a Outhier one I might be tempted to agree, given how much Heston has talked about his experience at Le Baux.

While some components are similar (fruit trompe l'oeil, stalk of real plant in top, pate-type composition, some are not (Napoule version has truffle pit, 100% foie, also not clear if the outside is the same concept).

Although I do find Heston's faux-medieval inspiration for the dish slightly tendentious (its a chicken-liver-parfait-with-fruit-jelly with a slightly tarted-up presentation. so what), I see no reason to suspect he's ripping off anyone in particular.

As I said, correlation vs. causation an' all that.

J

Edited by Jon Tseng, 03 April 2013 - 11:48 AM.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

#401 offcentre

offcentre
  • participating member
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

Well done to David and Helen on another cracking review - this time from Marina in the Guardian.

This is top of my list of places to go in the UK and has been for some considerable time.

#402 tony h

tony h
  • participating member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

The Guardian love affair continues today, and long may in continue, with LeCS recognized as a top 10 food destination http://www.theguardi...in-short-breaks

#403 tony h

tony h
  • participating member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Fancy a day in the kitchen with David & the team?  Now you can try via the Mince Pie Project - bid through the auction here: http://www.themincepieproject.com/

Had some Thai Green Curry Sorbet there last Saturday - quite remarkable.  The rest wasn't too bad either... ;-)