Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your favorite bread for toast

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:28 AM

My absolute favorite "toasting" bread is a homemade salt-rising bread that has a slightly "cheesy" flavor that  can't be duplicated by simply adding grated cheese to bread dough, although a nice, sharp Asiago does come close.

The tricky part is getting the starter right - I have an electric yogurt maker that has a high dome which holds a 2-quart container and ferment the starter in that. 

When Van De Kamp's bakery was still operational, they sold a salt rising bread that was excellent and one had to get to the markets early on Tuesdays and Thursdays, (delivery days) because it always sold out early. 

The King Arthur Flour web site has a treatise and recipe for the bread - KA used to sell a starter mix but it was discontinued a couple of years ago, I think.

Forgot salt-rising bread. Yes, outstanding toast. Unduplicatable.

#32 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

Back before I had to go gluten-free, I made a soft, white loaf that made just sublime toast. With butter and jam...or apple butter....yum.

Gluten-free breads I've found are generally pretty worthless. However, I've found a brand call Rudi's, which at least bears a slight resemblance to ... real bread. The multi-grain is slightly sweet, and good for breakfast. The "Ezekiel" loaf is more savory, and makes great sandwiches. One with Broadbent country ham and Fontina is on my menu today.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#33 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Onion rye bread, the more onions the better, with real butter. Hey, if it's gonna kill me, I'll go fat and happy!

Reminds me of a old burger that went by various names, the best-known being the "patty melt", I believe...two slices of rye grilled in butter and a burger with melted Swiss and sauteed onions. Your onion rye sounds much healthier!

Bill, that's one of my all-time favorite sandwiches!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#34 teapot

teapot
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

So many of us have responded to the "best bread for toast" query without having actually identified what the qualities of good toast are. Is it taste, texture, nutrition, versatility ...???

For me, texture is as important as taste: I want a slice of naturally leavened hearth-bread thick enough so that the outside can get dark (with the crust taking on a bit of char) while the open-crumb inside stays chewy and pliant. The sourdough and rye gives it a little tang to balance the butter. And unless it's a special occasion, I prefer a lean rather than enriched bread (challah, pannetone) so I can enjoy a second piece.

So what are the qualities you're looking for in a good piece of toast?

#35 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

In addition to rye and English muffins, I love any fruited bread artisan bread toasted. I make a bread with glaceed red and green cherries and walnuts that I first had in a tea room in Victoria. BC in the 1970s that I just love. I just call it "Fruit Toast" and make it for Xmas.
  • SylviaLovegren likes this

#36 quantumcloud509

quantumcloud509
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

I like to make beet bread for toast. Simply wonderful. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Absorbs the butter well. Colors are intriguing. 

Edited by quantumcloud509, 07 January 2014 - 12:38 AM.

mise en plase

#37 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

I like to make beet bread for toast. Simply wonderful. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Absorbs the butter well. Colors are intriguing.

How?