Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

San Diego beer and cocktail scene

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

I mainly agree with the list (especially like currently a late night cocktail and some pastrami fries at Fairweather) but Starlite shouldn't be on the list (great food but just average cocktails)

Starlite has a good whiskey list. That's what I get when I go there.

Regarding the 2014 list, I concur on Noble Experiment, Fairweather/Rare Form, and Ironside. From last year, Polite and Sycamore. But they really missed the mark by not including Bankers Hill. I am also surprised that Craft & Commerce was omitted.

#32 Honkman

Honkman
  • participating member
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

Starlite has a good whiskey list. That's what I get when I go there.

Regarding the 2014 list, I concur on Noble Experiment, Fairweather/Rare Form, and Ironside. From last year, Polite and Sycamore. But they really missed the mark by not including Bankers Hill. I am also surprised that Craft & Commerce was omitted.

Haven't been to Bankers Hill for several years as their food was always very underwhelming. (Eater SD tends to go more for the trendy factor than the actual quality of a restaurant - in the end it is just more or less a PR page)

#33 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

Haven't been to Bankers Hill for several years as their food was always very underwhelming. (Eater SD tends to go more for the trendy factor than the actual quality of a restaurant - in the end it is just more or less a PR page)

Then you are due for a visit. The food is better than what it was, and the cocktails are outstanding. I always have a great time sitting at the bar, ordering a few small plates of food to share and some cocktails. The Jet Pilot is especially fabulous; also the Sherry Cobbler is an excellent lower octane option. Or just ask Christian to come up with something based on your mood. 

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 20 October 2014 - 04:01 PM.