Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: munchymom (2012) - The Week I Ate Whatever I Wanted

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#91 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hushpuppies are fried cornmeal/flour dough leavened with baking soda. Anything fried is good but having said that hps are just ok to me. Kind of bland. But then again I'm a Yankee.

#92 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Good morning! Today is my last day of blogging, and I want to thank everyone who's followed along. This has been so much fun.

Breakfast:

DSCN0177.jpg

Scrambled eggs and rye toast.
"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."
-Harriet M. Welsch

Visit my food blog! http://goodformeblog.blogspot.com/

#93 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Yes, what gfweb and mjx said re: hush puppies. Deep-fried cornbread nuggets. And "hard" in the context of cider means "alcoholic". "Cider" without that description in the US is unfiltered apple juice.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#94 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Final meal of the blog:

DSCN0178.jpg

Thin-crust pizza with prosciutto, artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, mushrooms, and olives. A relaxed lunch on the patio of a restaurant called Brixx.

Thanks to all who followed the blog. I had a great time doing it.

Edited by munchymom, 13 April 2012 - 11:53 AM.

-Harriet M. Welsch

#95 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,740 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

I like rye toast (dry) with just a hint of orange marmalade along with my eggs :)

You mentioned that you are a seltzer drinker. I like it in the morning especially with a hit of fresh citrus juice. Revs me up. Currently I am purchasing the Safeway brand in 12 oz. cans and it is quite economical though I have been following our Sodastream topic. How do you buy yours?

#96 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I have a Sodastream and I love it. I don't think I'm saving any money over buying seltzer at the store, but not having to lug the bottles around is nice. I like to squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in. I do have some of the soda syrups, and also that Mio stuff works well for flavoring.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#97 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have really enjoyed this, Christa! Are you going to encourage your husband to read this so that he can see what you got up to in his absence?

#98 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hmmmm... we'll see.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#99 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have a Sodastream and I love it. I don't think I'm saving any money over buying seltzer at the store, but not having to lug the bottles around is nice. I like to squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in. I do have some of the soda syrups, and also that Mio stuff works well for flavoring.

I love my Sodastream, too. I honestly don't know how I lived without it lol. I also order a case of these
every month. I love the taste of the canned water, too.

Thanks for blogging! It's been fun watching your week of decadence :) Now I want pizza for dinner.......

Edited by Shelby, 13 April 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#100 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thank you for blogging. Looks like it was a nice, relaxing week. Hope you have a great homecoming with your family!
Donna

#101 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Ive very much enjoyed your blog.

you have convinced me to go back to making my own ice cream. I used to do this a long time ago with a Donvier ice cream maker ( by hand )

it worked well, and I did this with true heavy cream from a local dairy in Up State NY. when i went there. which was often back then.

Well .... what is your brand of Ice Cream Maker?

maybe I might look into it. and Buy local?

#102 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

I like the breakfast beverages very much.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#103 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I like rye toast (dry) with just a hint of orange marmalade along with my eggs :)

You mentioned that you are a seltzer drinker. I like it in the morning especially with a hit of fresh citrus juice. Revs me up. Currently I am purchasing the Safeway brand in 12 oz. cans and it is quite economical though I have been following our Sodastream topic. How do you buy yours?

I drink a lot of seltzer too. I have an old fashioned seltzer bottle but on the recommendation of a friend I have been ordering TalkingRain sparkling water via Amazon's Subscribe & Save as it is so easy to keep in the fridge.
I get a case every month.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#104 munchymom

munchymom
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Re: ice cream maker: It's a Cuisinart. I think it was $30 or so. You have to keep the cylinder in the freezer (or freeze overnight before you use it) - it's that thing next to the vodka in the freezer picture on the first page.
-Harriet M. Welsch

#105 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the look into your culinary life!
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog