• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

辣子鸡 (là zi jī)

Chicken cubes marinated in Shaoxing and soy sauce with some salt. Deep fried then drained. then refried with 50g dried facing heaven chillis (halved and de-seeded, a tablespoon of red Sichuan peppers (whole) and chopped scallions.

laziji1.thumb.jpg.cdfe8463cdea982a89b753264bb9855b.jpg

Sichuan / Chongqing perfection.

laziji2.thumb.jpg.db220b01f347e642002258b4cbec95fc.jpg

Served with steamed asparagus and rice.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, dans said:

I have been craving halibut for a couple of weeks now. My "local" fishmonger didn't have any. I finally found some at Whole Foods and cooked it up. It was great!  I was at Trader Joe today and was hoping they might have some frozen packages but I struck out. I guess I'll have to order some from Rogers Fish Co.

Thankfully, Halibut just came back into season here on the west coast of Canada so it will be available fresh now through to late October or early November. 

• Like 1

@mgaretz

those shrimp look delicious.

are you able to buy fresh quality shrimp ?

or do you buy frozen raw , or frozen cooked ?

Im frequently disappointed w Fz raw and Fz cooked.

Shrimp roe noodles pan fried with chili crisp oil with blistered shishitos and some of last summer's long beans, shrimp and (just because of where I live) a piece of haddock.

Enjoyed with a local dry apple cider which was the perfect matching.

ShrimpHaddockShishitosLongBeansandShrimpRoeNoodles.thumb.JPG.3b1b6089162c035ce328cf6a57186cf5.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

My husband gave me an Ooni Karu 16 for Christmas, and this weekend it was finally warm and sunny enough for my nephew to build it for me.  We tried two flavors, simple pepperoni and wild mushroom with mushroom pesto and arugula.  I am definitely at the start of a learning curve, but I am sure the results will improve with time.  I'll attempt again next Saturday. Here are some quick phone snaps of my first effort.

IMG_3155.thumb.jpg.1d3cecdb3ec4b52062a2edee20834449.jpg

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.6f362736f19d6cd1365122d1164a472a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Wanted comfort food and made meatloaf with sauerbraten gravy* and spaetzle.

* gravy is used loosely because I didn't have pan dripping from cooking the roast so used beef stock and because I way over thickened it.

The meatloaf recipe said to grate the onions for a moister result. I used a mini food processor attachment for my stick blender and they were right. Probably overblended. Oh and panko instead of bread crumbs, which is good because I never have bread crumbs around

The spaetzle were more successful than my previous attempts but I ended up with paste stuck to many utensils and countertops.

Turns out the reason I thought this sauerbraten and meatloaf would be a good combination. My partner pointed out that a restaurant we used to go to decades ago served it.

image.thumb.jpeg.801243518dd453a5cfed6b781d581ce7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Ribs again.  Charlie asked me to make some more since the last batch was gone so quickly.  He said If I made two slabs and grill some hamburgers, that I wouldn't need to cook for a while. I am getting ready to do the hamburgers in a little bit.  I made my favorite kind of coleslaw and didn't realize I had never made it when Charlie was around.  He made fun of it until he tasted it. Now he thinks I should make it all the time. When I was little someone at church often brought this kind to potlucks and I always liked it better. 

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Ribs again.  Charlie asked me to make some more since the last batch was gone so quickly.  He said If I made two slabs and grill some hamburgers, that I wouldn't need to cook for a while. I am getting ready to do the hamburgers in a little bit.  I made my favorite kind of coleslaw and didn't realize I had never made it when Charlie was around.  He made fun of it until he tasted it. Now he thinks I should make it all the time. When I was little someone at church often brought this kind to potlucks and I always liked it better. 

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Thanks for post your slaw recipe on your site.  I'm gonna give it a try--looks really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bear pasta.

20240421_192800.thumb.jpg.2a8a20e4bef237477c007120e195858d.jpgHot Italian sausage made 50/50 black bear/pork shoulder, mushrooms, Rummo gf pasta, Brazi Bites, parm.

• Like 11

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

It was a busy weekend! Did an hour Drums Alive for Seniors demo / training to a couple of Fitness Instructors at our Y. Then in the afternoon,I helped our instructor guiding an elder gentleman recovering from a stroke on walking and light exercise at our aquacize class. He is hard of hearing, so I was pretty hoarse by the end of the day!

So, supper was quick: Rice Omelet (cooked rice folded into beaten eggs) with a cheese sauce.   

RiceOmeletandcheesesauce4397.jpg.4fa33210ea975eabaf7914bcde66e242.jpg

Had 2 very active and constantly hungry granddaughters here yesterday. I got smarter and prepared a grazing board for them instead of lots of sweet. They were into that within 10 minutes in the door. Polished off pretty much all of it a couple of hours before supper

GrazingBoard.thumb.jpg.8211feaa4faad3deb6f1972dec05c387.jpg

Gave them supper early, Med-rare prime rib (per request), corn on the cob, and perogies. We ate when our son came up after work.

SupperfortheGrans4412.jpg.1996e1e2fddc4b122a9823c81008d939.jpg

What was left after we ate!

PrimeRib4414.jpg.d0e4c61cc012d0188e0373f270e483ec.jpg

Had  cousin Ken and his wife Leslie visit us for lunch. They sold their rural property after a major health scare a couple of months ago. They are moving to London, Ontario end of the month, to be closer to their families. Leslie was my joong making partner. I will miss her!

I made Fish Maw, Crab, and chicken soup.  

FishMawSoup4429.jpg.c48ab5f1479793aab0bdd4532dc403cf.jpg

I had used chicken drumsticks to make the broth. Took out 6, and cooked them in the air fryer. These worked well with the Yaki Udon noodles I cooked. As well, I stir-fried shrim with tomato sauce, Ken's favourite. Forgot to take pictures, so this is what was left for supper for two tonight!

UdonShrimpChicken4424.jpg.55d0c9e581129d06376bba0c4c702d0f.jpg

Dessert was big navel oranges!
They left mid-afternoon as they are staying at a cabin up by Gimli, on Lake Winnipeg, a 4 hour drive from here. Gimli is where I get our pickerel from!

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pommes Anna is kind of my go to comfort food and tonight it was topped with a little ode to Spain.  Not that I've been to Spain but I have aspirations!   Seared cobia with pecans, green olives, onion, garlic and a lot of butter and lemon juice.  My Ozempic was caught flat footed.

IMG_20240421_195425690.thumb.jpg.02b276d0dd908d85fce3928b1325ed6c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz

those shrimp look delicious.

are you able to buy fresh quality shrimp ?

or do you buy frozen raw , or frozen cooked ?

Im frequently disappointed w Fz raw and Fz cooked.

Frozen raw from Costco. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Variation on Moroccan Loubia - Used some Ayocote Blanco beans from Rancho Gordo and braised it in the oven with two lamb shanks (which get shredded at the end), onion, red pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, ground ginger, sirarakhong chili, parsley, white wine and chicken broth. Served with a salad made with iceberg lettuce, red and orange pepper, olives and onions with a vinaigrette made with olive oil, white wine vinegar, diced olives, garlic and thyme

IMG_9222.thumb.jpeg.1c064ebff962ef22039752013c9dd648.jpegIMG_9219.thumb.jpeg.d6b909d7c3d629049e0b1b1a6d636a50.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Did a short tasting menu for my birthday celebrations for some family and friends - my grandmother taught me a great lesson on her birthdays of giving to others vs expecting things - so this is a small way I give love back and channel her spirit. 

9116f4df-9bde-4fbb-9c99-402c3039166f.thumb.jpeg.01517c0fa984e8abf3405d7d742f158d.jpeg

king salmon belly seared with lemon and garden sorrel - tuna with smoked soy sauce, baby chives and tobiko.  

1d12f7f2-867e-4a50-b59e-fa010f16616f.thumb.jpeg.6214fa945e971f73b098ac83f7b3f70e.jpeg

crispy smoked sweetbreads with lemon juice - simple but amazing! 

f8d66082-58d1-4663-afe9-c2ab62316603.thumb.jpeg.f4dfd6c9d87a4a9a78ac521825f467f3.jpeg

8 week dry aged local ribeye with truffle mash and a mushroom sauce (only element of the night I wasn’t thrilled with was the sauce, not punchy enough for my tastes; but I’m my toughest critic)

83e4429a-c4fd-44fa-846a-9ef16c1e3507.thumb.jpeg.2e69b25de1bf06360e2d383a84598175.jpeg

dairy

71efc715-fb1d-42f8-9b4b-8cdfbc5ab9b6.thumb.jpeg.603af4b1d23d0747d1171a3913cdfafc.jpeg

cloud cake and cookie cake - only thing I didn’t create 

IMG_6148.thumb.jpeg.08f56d5c3e7ac81f5968533fe1346439.jpeg

a worthy bottle was killed  

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 9

A couple of days ago, I received an email from The Rice Factory, letting me know that they had restocked many of their rices with a shipment of the 2023 rice harvest; so I jumped.

And last night, along with my new favorite item from Trader Joe's, I rice cookered a couple of cups of this:

Akita Akitakomachi Japan Organic -無農薬 秋田 あきたこまち- 2023 Crop

It's so good.

IMG_2011.thumb.jpeg.cfa7b312f6bf543910b5bde9a3f51b15.jpeg

Japanese scallops, with a lemon/butter/white wine sauce, over Akitakomachi organic white rice.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I took a cooking class years ago and learned how to do a three station breaded chicken cutlet but I still don’t do it enough to be confident. Last night I gave it a whirl and it turned out well, but we both agreed that it was under seasoned. I’d winged the seasoning so that’s an easy fix.  Served with orzo with pesto and cherry tomatoes, and TJ’s frozen haricots verts which is my single favorite Trader Joe’s item. They cook up well, even in the microwave, taste good and are never stringy or woody.

As I was cooking I wondered, ”Is this chicken schnitzel? What makes something a schnitzel?”

IMG_1465.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

On 4/21/2024 at 6:51 AM, liuzhou said:

辣子鸡 (là zi jī)

Chicken cubes marinated in Shaoxing and soy sauce with some salt. Deep fried then drained. then refried with 50g dried facing heaven chillis (halved and de-seeded, a tablespoon of red Sichuan peppers (whole) and chopped scallions.

laziji1.thumb.jpg.cdfe8463cdea982a89b753264bb9855b.jpg

Sichuan / Chongqing perfection.

laziji2.thumb.jpg.db220b01f347e642002258b4cbec95fc.jpg

Served with steamed asparagus and rice.

@liuzhou That looks delicious! I have an ignorant American question. Do you eat all the chile peppers? It would seem like a waste not too, but also that’s a lot of chile peppers, and they’re dried. I’ve had dishes like this in restaurants and always wonder!