• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Last night’s dinner was Cacio e Pepe ravioli with sautéed zucchini, garlic, peperoncini and a dusting of Parmesan.

Mixed greens salad with orange segments and St. Agur cheese.

Apple pie-ish ice cream with caramel sauce.

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5425.jpeg

IMG_5438.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

We're all familiar with Marcella's famous (and famously easy) tomato sauce.  Last night, I tried another one of her simple, yet fabulous techniques:

IMG_1379.thumb.jpeg.d86cda551e58ac677784770a7679bb14.jpeg

Roast Chicken with Lemons.  And boy, was it good. 

IMG_1383.thumb.jpeg.11f8f2d6c239642b4c11ef1af25e57e5.jpeg

Since I was going with Marcella, I also made Julia's hash browns, from Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) String beans by Weinoo.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lamb Bolognese Lasagna

image.thumb.png.c6d3aaa962bb531a51bbc67a4c194991.png

Homemade Noodles--  100g AP/ 1 egg/ plus water and oil as needed

Bolognese-  Ground Lamb, mirepoix ,liver, heart ( chicken ), sardine (  don't hate  the player )

Layer in just --mozzarella, Romano, peas, noodles, sauce (  Mine )

• Like 11
  • Delicious 10

Its good to have Morels

25 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Comfort food for the horrid weather we've been/are having. Meatloaf, potatoes and carrots.

meatloaf.jpg

Nice--My friends  live in Liberty/  we come down all the time!!

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

54 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Comfort food for the horrid weather we've been/are having.

I didn't realize that you lived in Liberty, MO. Been there, it's a beautiful little town with such a fascinating history.

• Like 1

Dinner was a splurge. Because of the delicate situation of West Coast wild King Salmon I rarely eat it. And of course the price is insane. But I was craving Kedgeree with wild salmon. So we bought a little under a pound at $30 per. It had been frozen, of course, but still, wild King Pacific salmon. I love Kedgeree, but never eaten it in a restaurant, only made it myself and this one was excellent. It was pretty traditional, but I happened to have some fresh curry leaves and that was the magic ingredient. The fish was very gently poached til just cooked and was delicious, the more so for depriving myself for a couple of years. It was added back into the hot rice mix mixture at the very end, so it didn't overcook.

I like fresh fruit alongside curry, so I made my absurdly simple salad consisting of celery, apples and walnuts in a very light dressing. In addition we had some very good mango pickle to go with. I've made kedgeree with smoked fish but with wild salmon it's the mostest. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Lamb Bolognese Lasagna

image.thumb.png.c6d3aaa962bb531a51bbc67a4c194991.png

Homemade Noodles--  100g AP/ 1 egg/ plus water and oil as needed

Bolognese-  Ground Lamb, mirepoix ,liver, heart ( chicken ), sardine (  don't hate  the player )

Layer in just --mozzarella, Romano, peas, noodles, sauce (  Mine )

OH! Have never thought of using lamb! Thank you!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Shelby Thanks for the bday wishes to Mr. Dejah. I love your plate of gizzards and liver. Used to have big gizzards in the 10 lb chickens we got in the restaurant.  My cooks used to slice and stir-fry, so good!The ones in the grocery stores are so small, so I haven't bothered.
@liuzhou Happy to see you back in the kitchen! Looks like an efficient one.

@weinoo That Roast Chicken with Lemon is a thing of beauty. I have filed the recipe!

I think we are coming out of the deep freeze. Temps in the -teens C.

Some meals: Picked up a chunk of boneless smoked ham shank at Safeway with a $5.00 off coupon. $14.03 gave us dinner, a few sandwiches as well as a big container for the grandson. Scalloped potatoes, peas, and my cranberry apple orange chutney

BakedHamScallopedtaters3360.jpg.da6e500f73c4e32d17230d6a0e95d9f1.jpg

Oxtalis are hard to find here. One meat store gets them once in a while but never advertised. So I have to keep calling, and checking. They are readily available in Winnipeg, but that's 2.5 hours away. I got a package, one smallish tail $4.99 / lb. That's the cheapest I have found. Did a Braised Jamaican Oxtail Stew. I just happened to have a container of Jamaican Curry in the pantry. It smelled lovely, but I think it's lost its punch. The recipe also called for allspice berries, but used the substitute with ground allspice. The stew was done in the IP, 35 min, then I added carrots and canneloni beans. It was good - sticky oily,great with papardelle pasta.

JamaicanOxtailStew3350.jpg.14a0b237b723975573ab644fed577b88.jpg

I guess I can't call this Mapo tofu as I added Japanese eggplant;-) Didn't have the smooth tofu, only firm in the fridge. It was OK, but I miss the silky texture.

MapoStuff3342.jpg.36eed367efca86e539cf818119197001.jpg

Boneless skinless chicken breast on sale @$.99 / lb. Picked up a couple of trays and cut up 1 1/2 for "Kung Pao Chicken".

ChickenVeginTobansauce3371.jpg.39c31984ae813212b5750d5479fc94e1.jpg

Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits.                         ShrimpCheestGrits3363.jpg.d25267ce1a8fc1504cdf3b1d91d4c7c6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

18 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@Shelby Thanks for the bday wishes to Mr. Dejah. I love your plate of gizzards and liver. Used to have big gizzards in the 10 lb chickens we got in the restaurant.  My cooks used to slice and stir-fry, so good!The ones in the grocery stores are so small, so I haven't bothered.
@liuzhou Happy to see you back in the kitchen! Looks like an efficient one.

@weinoo That Roast Chicken with Lemon is a thing of beauty. I have filed the recipe!

I think we are coming out of the deep freeze. Temps in the -teens C.

Some meals: Picked up a chunk of boneless smoked ham shank at Safeway with a $5.00 off coupon. $14.03 gave us dinner, a few sandwiches as well as a big container for the grandson. Scalloped potatoes, peas, and my cranberry apple orange chutney

BakedHamScallopedtaters3360.jpg.da6e500f73c4e32d17230d6a0e95d9f1.jpg

Oxtalis are hard to find here. One meat store gets them once in a while but never advertised. So I have to keep calling, and checking. They are readily available in Winnipeg, but that's 2.5 hours away. I got a package, one smallish tail $4.99 / lb. That's the cheapest I have found. Did a Braised Jamaican Oxtail Stew. I just happened to have a container of Jamaican Curry in the pantry. It smelled lovely, but I think it's lost its punch. The recipe also called for allspice berries, but used the substitute with ground allspice. The stew was done in the IP, 35 min, then I added carrots and canneloni beans. It was good - sticky oily,great with papardelle pasta.

JamaicanOxtailStew3350.jpg.14a0b237b723975573ab644fed577b88.jpg

I guess I can't call this Mapo tofu as I added Japanese eggplant;-) Didn't have the smooth tofu, only firm in the fridge. It was OK, but I miss the silky texture.

MapoStuff3342.jpg.36eed367efca86e539cf818119197001.jpg

Boneless skinless chicken breast on sale @$.99 / lb. Picked up a couple of trays and cut up 1 1/2 for "Kung Pao Chicken".

ChickenVeginTobansauce3371.jpg.39c31984ae813212b5750d5479fc94e1.jpg

Spicy Shrimp and Cheesy Grits.                         ShrimpCheestGrits3363.jpg.d25267ce1a8fc1504cdf3b1d91d4c7c6.jpg

Great looking meals. Your plates are always so colourful! B/S chicken breast for .99 per pound? Wow - haven't seen them for that price for years!

12 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Great looking meals. Your plates are always so colourful! B/S chicken breast for .99 per pound? Wow - haven't seen them for that price for years!

OH! Sorry. $4.99/ lb. Wish they were $.99 / lb .

360_F_368982957_jgYkATE4h5AyQGLlcE4iRMKv603XfhxF.jpg.359f763037c08ee435575e161a10b3cd.jpg
Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end....Lalalalala...

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

OH! Sorry. $4.99/ lb. Wish they were $.99 / lb .

360_F_368982957_jgYkATE4h5AyQGLlcE4iRMKv603XfhxF.jpg.359f763037c08ee435575e161a10b3cd.jpg
Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end....Lalalalala...

If it sounds to good to be true... The Co-Op has them on for the same price this week, and I thought that was a pretty good price.

Edited by MaryIsobel
hit send to soon (log)

After a long walk through the frozen town …

IMG_2347.thumb.jpeg.6b480378edecec4f2c0753250d397d27.jpeg

I stopped at the butcher and got my (preordered) Saumagen1.6 kg were a bit too much, so I froze part of it …

IMG_2351.thumb.jpeg.d187e93bf8e20177a031aea947a36863.jpeg

While the rest became tonight’s Saumagen burger with pineapple Sauerkraut and baconnaise on a brioche bun. Served with fries (yay for airfryers) and more baconnaise …

IMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.a53b1fd1913a4fdadc6278a2dd80dfb7.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

7 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I didn't realize that you lived in Liberty, MO. Been there, it's a beautiful little town with such a fascinating history.

It used to be. They have done their best to completely ruin it by developing so much that the beauty and historic charm have been completely destroyed. Nothing but fast food and discount stores now. We plan to list our house this Spring and will definitely look outside of Liberty for another place.

• Sad 4

Deb

Liberty, MO