• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

A friend brought me potatoes au gratin so I made a meatloaf sandwich to go with for supper. I like my meatloaf sandwich the way they made them at Marie Callender restaurants. With mayo, sharp cheddar and plenty of salt and pepper. No photo of the sandwich, but here are potatoes.

image.thumb.png.16ac26dc95ecf4653edc8f09d510217b.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

We have had pulpo a couple of times in Mexico that was beyond being able to chew!

I haven't had any experience in cooking octopus myself but I always heard that the rule for cooking it was 2 minutes or 2 hours. If you cooked it over 2 minutes it took 2 hours to get it tender again.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I haven't had any experience in cooking octopus myself but I always heard that the rule for cooking it was 2 minutes or 2 hours. If you cooked it over 2 minutes it took 2 hours to get it tender again.

Indeed. All cephalopods I've every cooked, octopus, squid, cuttlefish, are the same. I tend to cook squid for 90 seconds maximum, cuttlefish around the same, but octopus gets the long cook. Just my preference.

Cepholopods

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No actual cooking involved for dinner - salad with tofu and vegetables. Tofu was marinated in a mixture of roasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, sriracha and honey. Afterwards you mix in diced red pepper, sliced snow peas, sliced napa cabbage, scallions and roasted sesame seeds

IMG_9387.thumb.jpeg.5c717712278ffcece3a821d709d02ae5.jpeg

• Like 6

It's almost too hot to eat; May is our warmest month until the rains start in early June.  

Chilled grilled shrimp over a green bean and grape tomato salad.  

shrimpsal.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Didn't get a picture, but Mrs. M made us a lovely autumn meal (southern hemisphere):

Perfect fluffy white rice, with the following toppings to add as you wished:

-Sliced cucumbers, carrot matchsticks, soft boiled eggs, spring onions, mushrooms sautéed w/garlic and onion, and a chili-crisp-sesame-soy sauce to top

It was wonderful!

• Like 8

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Potatoes coarsely cubed, tossed with EVOO, salt, and diced pancetta; roasted at 500F in a Wagner cast aluminum pan. Stirred and flipped it all once, and worried that I should have lined the pan because everything was sticking. Then I added bite-sized pieces of asparagus for the last 5 minutes or so, and as the asparagus released its juices it essentially deglazed the pan. 

Delicious dinner in a bowl! I tried adding balsamic vinegar for the asparagus, but didn't like the result. I added a little butter to my bowl. He didn't think it needed anything.

20240520_202720.jpg

This was one of those I'm-hungry-and-don't-want-to-fuss dinners. From initial chop to the table took under an hour, and 30 to 40 minutes of that was in the oven. He gave me his ultimate compliment: "You DID write this down so you can repeat it, right? RIGHT?"

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)

Shepherd's pie.

PXL_20240521_191811882_MP2.thumb.jpg.a998a93ed52f56d64ea30f8f3fbe08eb.jpg

The missus just returned from a month in Nepal. She was ready for her favourite.

Edited by Kerala
splleing (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

salmon-fr-rice.jpg.b4f12263b3461df73b0cc91b7a4c7581.jpg

This looks great. Not tried fish in the air fryer, don't know why. High heat, short time I guess? 

On 5/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, liuzhou said:

Indeed. All cephalopods I've every cooked, octopus, squid, cuttlefish, are the same. I tend to cook squid for 90 seconds maximum, cuttlefish around the same, but octopus gets the long cook. Just my preference.

Cepholopods

Sure, but there's a wide range of texture and bite that's acceptable. The only way I've ever cooked octopus is low and slow in red wine. 

For the fast method, are we literally talking about a couple of minutes on a hot grill? Am I feeling brave enough?

Chicken cacciatore.

A dish that has been on my mind lately and I spotted a small bird at Aldi for under $5.00 yesterday so I grabbed it. 

IMG_20240521_181946.thumb.jpg.86fdd501301a16e04dad85de97654a96.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, Kerala said:

This looks great. Not tried fish in the air fryer, don't know why. High heat, short time I guess? 

Essentially yes, but it’s a steamer/air fryer so it steams and air fries at the same time. 9 minutes from frozen to done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I’ve missed cooking in the donabe, possibly because the Zojirushi makes such damn good rice. But tonight:

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.edae994f3cf4d12e19f9dac446cbd021.jpeg

I found a piece of Alaskan king salmon in my freezer. It was defrosted overnight and salted for the day, before making:

IMG_2098.thumb.jpeg.8995f6807448b4079df7e6fdbb6dba13.jpeg

Salmon and hijiki rice. With some stir fried bok choy of some variety, with ginger, garlic, scallions, soy and oyster sauces.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A sad looking chicken wing cringing on the plate!!!

Tasty though… done honey soy with beans and egg plant

F6506B79-3C51-46D7-9290-824650EA2DEC.jpeg.ea15e08c4f24834d00d694d252969076.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Pan-fried pork steak, buttery mash laced with 夜香花 (Mand: yè xiāng huā), pakalana vine, a local vegetable, and matsutake. French grain mustard.

porkpakalnamashmatsutake.thumb.jpg.a41efb7d45c6f4c738410f95cccff8ba.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Saag murgh - chicken marinated with ginger, garlic, ground dried fenugreek leaves, cayenne, nutmeg, garam masala, and yogurt. Sauce was onion (sauteed slowly until well browned), spinach, cilantro, mint leaves, Thai basil (not traditional I am sure), and a finishing shot of half-and-half. Mrs. C mixed roasted sweet potatoes with a jarred Thai yellow curry and bean mix.

saag_murgh_202405.thumb.jpg.387357b9d9ec349b84580e306b654103.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Posted (edited)

We had Mussels Mariniere. Local from the Bay very near me. My recipe is so simple. . .  Cleaned fresh mussels, finely chopped onion that has been sautéed in butter, add white wine, pepper, salt and fresh thyme plus a splash of water. Boil and shake to steam mussels open. Done, Serve with sprinkle of parsley. 

How it started

4BE3E376-40FA-4D36-8AE8-68F6D8646C4E.jpeg.d7b48ee960e04e9c3fe103ea43e03912.jpeg

How it ended up, with me slurping up every drop of the delicious remaining soup.

5EC4AF55-28DF-44F3-B0FF-287297691E68.jpeg.0a0b9dbe4159810056c7da477146b728.jpeg

Goodness @Paul Bacino we posted at the same time and both seafood. Your scallops look delicious 

Edited by Neely (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

this is a dinner Ive come up with 

that is very easy , tasty  ( tastiness far greater than the sum of the parts )

and a keeper for me :

IMG_3883.thumb.jpg.2c7fc9f031bf69de7c5d244cf4da4fed.jpg

TJ's bagged spinach , slightly wilted in the micro .  its warm , not flabby

TJ's  Fz Lasmb Vindaloo   .  micro'd   

rice portion on top of the spinach , then the Lamb V. on top of that

TJ's raw cashews , not salted.     window green onions.

a TJ's Nan-ish ,  micro/d a bit , then slowly passed over an open gas burner.

it needs some Major Grey chutney ( -ish) and possibly some sliced red onion.

and ice ice cold Hoponiuos Union beer  ( local brewery.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Lamb tagline adapted from Nigella. Sautéed onions and cubed leg of lamb, bay leaf , red wine , cooked at 300* for one hour and fifteen minutes, then added carrots and artichoke hearts for another 45 minutes. Some oil cured black olives were added for the last ten minutes.  Served over couscous, this made enough for lunch a few days later. Made a hit with several family members who intended to make their own subsequently.

IMG_6321.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3