• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@C. sapidus

how did you make that ground turkey dish ?

Thank you! Sautéed onions, garlic, and the ground turkey, and then simmered with chicken stock, crushed tomato, ground cloves, cumin, Mexican oregano, and a big dollop of the salsa negra I made the other day:

Made enough salsa negra for a few meals. Morita (dried chipotle) and pasilla chiles, fried in oil and soaked in a syrup of brown sugar and molasses. Garlic cloves, fried until golden brown. Whomped in the Preethi with crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, and then simmered for 20 minutes until dark and thick. One of my favorite sauces ever: hot, sweet, smoky and mysterious. Quite different than if made with canned chipotles in adobo.

Edited by C. sapidus
Fix link (log)
  • Like 1

Slow-roasted five-spice pork belly

IMG_20240125_185208982~2.jpg

Served with an Asian slaw

IMG_20240125_193911335~2.jpg

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 6

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Assorted citrus salad, evoo, spritz of lemon, oil cured black olives, parsley, chervil.

Tortellini  en brodo , chicken broth,  diced chicken, chickpeas, spinach, etc.

Blackberry almond cake.

IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

@pastameshugana

Thank you so much, very much appreciated ! I  generally serve  a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche on the side but the lemony whipped cream sounds like a  delicious alternative.  I offered DH either but he opted for ice cream 😁.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 2

Porterhouse with mountain pepper sauce, rosemary roasted potatoes, and stir fried, zucchini, capsicum, onion,  carrot.

The mountain pepper sauce is a basic black pepper sauce substituting Tasmanian mountain pepper. It ended up overly spicy which surprised me because I had been buying ground mountain pepper from a different company for years and didn't find it at all spicy. So I don't know if it is the different supplier or if it loses its spice rapidly when ground. It did turn the sauce a lovely purple colour. Maybe next time a mixture of black pepper and mountain pepper.

image.thumb.jpeg.da81a7d5d14e8204be0be0b25aee4fe0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Grilled salmon, lettuce and dill mustard sauce on a toasted croissant. Cucumber and grape tomato salad on the side.

Not shown is the salmon skin removed and grilled to a crispy cook's treat.

DSCN1653.thumb.JPG.1c7437faadafe3c2dce53c8f64de13eb.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

42 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Is this served hot or cold?  Do you have a recipe?

It's served cold. Epicurious has a recipe very similar to how I've cooked and eaten it in restaurants here. I've also bought it in markets Pre-prepared similarly.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/hand-shredded-chicken

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Early dinner // late lunch :

I looked into offerings @ MarketBasket this AM , for filled pasta.

I haven't made this sort of item in a while .  I used to enjoy the filled pasta Chicken w prosciutto 

no longer available.  so ...

IMG_3146.thumb.jpg.d91eb721f474ffeff1c73daed632ca63.jpg

those are window to Table green onions , TJ's Capari's  , TJ's parmesan-ish

and two no added salt chicken stock Ive had for a while and th0ught Id finally ty them   filled pasta as you see above.

I was very surprised w the two units of CkSt :

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.694a6f8b3b362e089bdae438b271ed0e.jpg

when I opened the packs , aroma of roosted CkStock was ver noticeable  taste very good , bland , ie  no salt.

the aroma was so good  MC who was on his Auto-Heat , awake and just looking around and enjoying his day

came right into the kitchen , w Great Expectations ..  this for me is a keeper.

mise :

IMG_3153.thumb.jpg.6ea6fc8f4093f4e3d2f5cc340fc02c1f.jpg

that's two beaten eggs , I add at the end off the het w the green onions and tomato

result :

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.53507b3679467e06db21a0daef4c034f.jpg

the green blob is refrigerated EVOO  , melting   also from TJ's

this was excellent.

the TJ's pam-ish had been resting comfortably in the refrigerator for ' a bit ' thus the initial slices which were diced 

were ' rind like '  but very tasty .  fortunately I added them to the stock w the tort's  for the five minute cooking.  

next time I dice them smaller .

I might  add a few more Campari's the next time , and another Window green onion.  that would work.

I might also get some fresh swiss chard or mature fresh spinach which would be nice. added w the green onions and tomato off the heat

now I have to see twhat the TJ's Tot's offering are ( lots of veg related ones I recall )

and see what Aldi has .

of course I might get s0ome proscuitto and add that thing diced for that flavor I like 

this is so easy to make , it's back on the Menu.

very pleased w the no salt stock.  iso Ill be stocking up.

I like this size , as if there is a no0-salt ' box '  you know what I mean , then I hsv to use up the whole box.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

very pleased w the no salt stock.  iso Ill be stocking up.

I've never tried the Kitchen Basics brand; my go-to purchased stock has been Swanson's low-sodium broth but I never use it all at once. Thanks for this recommendation. I'll have to try it.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The kitchen basics is ok, but is definitely not the same as homemade stock.  It does have a nice roasted smell, but the body is lacking - there's very little gelatin.  I've used it, years ago, but now that I make a few gallons of stock at a time in the pressure cooker I don't anymore.  Plus, most of what I use it for nowadays wouldn't really be so good with the roasted chicken flavor.

• Like 3

@KennethT

I agree re home made.

for me , the KB is right there

and O can work with it.

home made is always best . I have some 4 x turkey stock in Fz bricks 

Im use some of that up.

but right off the self , no added salt 

w that regard , its working for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

It was decent enough to cook outside and test a Christmas present from my son today.  The gift was a thermometer that can monitor four things at once and send it all to my phone.  I tested the ambient temperature of the front and back of the smoker interior.  I usually cook ribs by time and appearance.  Its hard to stick a probe in a slab of ribs. The sides were coleslaw, BBQ beans, green beans, Mexican street corn ( I wanted to do corn on the cob  but all they had was packages of five) and store bought potato salad. I had company when I posted the recipes a little while ago.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 6