• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku noodles. Ever try them?

gfweb

Yes.  I just hauled a pile of them into an Arizona canyon for camp food.  I also [ordered that the children] haul in the liquid seasoning packets.  

They took longer to rehydrate than is perfect for camp, but in terms of taste, they were a hit.  We added in tinned fish (which, ahem, I also insisted that someone else haul).  But three adults and three teenagers ate a total of 12 packets in one single meal.  

I had an unpleasant experience with Momofuku's direct-mail service, though, and wouldn't go that route again.  They have them at Whole Foods.  

Editing to add more of the detail you probably are interested in:  what was good about them was the noodles.  The noodles are, in fact, better than other "instant" ramen options.  The brand puts a lot of emphasis on the seasoning -- what it is and that it's liquid.  I myself did not find that aspect exceptional, though useful.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I would ask how Momofuku ramen compares with Ichiran, which is what I'm having tonight, as originally enabled by @Duvel.  From the pictures Momofuku noodles appear wider and thicker than Ichiran noodles.  I wish quality noodles for ramen could be purchased without sauce or flavor packets.  If they can I have not found them on amazon.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, SLB said:

I had an unpleasant experience with Momofuku's direct-mail service, though, and wouldn't go that route again.  They have them at Whole Foods.  

Did your soy sauce leak half the bottle in transit and then you emailed customer service and waited a week and emailed them again and heard nothing? Ask me how I know.

Edited by Vapre (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wish quality noodles for ramen could be purchased without sauce or flavor packets.  If they can I have not found them on amazon.

I bought these on Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for a relative, because I can't seem to find the packs of shelf stable noodles locally in the Asian markets anymore.    Expensive, but the report is that they are very good.  I haven't been able to try any yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I bought these on Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for a relative, because I can't seem to find the packs of shelf stable noodles locally in the Asian markets anymore.    Expensive, but the report is that they are very good.  I haven't been able to try any yet.

Thanks @lemniscate (and thanks also to @Margaret Pilgrim).  I may try the Hakubaku.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

target in my neck of the woods carries the soy scallion and the spicy ones...the spicy ones are pretty solid, def an upgrade over the 99cent ones you usually see but not blow my mind good. WholeFoods near me used to stock the Sun Noodles brand which i found to be incredible....would req if you ever see em in your area.

• Delicious 1

@MetsFan5, we tried all of them.  The spicy is not, to my palate, spicy at all.  That noodle is a little thicker than the others, which is nice.  But I was piling on the Oaktown Spice Shop Goat Horn chile flakes, which also wasn't especially hot. 

These packets are all about the noodle, I'd say stick to your own seasoning chops.  

I've never had Ichiran or Sun; I'll look for them though.  Instant ramen seems to be preferred for these camping trips over my meticulous homemade tricked out pasta, which doesn't hurt my feelings or anything.  

@Vapre Sigh.  I'm sorry.  

On 6/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, SLB said:

Yes.  I just hauled a pile of them into an Arizona canyon for camp food.  I also [ordered that the children] haul in the liquid seasoning packets.  

They took longer to rehydrate than is perfect for camp, but in terms of taste, they were a hit.  We added in tinned fish (which, ahem, I also insisted that someone else haul).  But three adults and three teenagers ate a total of 12 packets in one single meal.  

Editing to add more of the detail you probably are interested in:  what was good about them was the noodles.  The noodles are, in fact, better than other "instant" ramen options.  The brand puts a lot of emphasis on the seasoning -- what it is and that it's liquid.  I myself did not find that aspect exceptional, though useful.  

Are you saying that each person ate 2 packages of noodles at one sitting?    

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Are you saying that each person ate 2 packages of noodles at one sitting?    

I can't answer for anyone else's experience, but I have personally seen a teen eat 2 packages of instant noodles (not Momofuku, mind you) before dinner "just to hold me over." And then polish off a fair-sized meal afterwards.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well, me and one other adult only ate one, so some person or two ate more than two.  I brought a total of 15, which I thought was going to be at least a dinner and a kids lunch.  I was wrong!  

And I wish to revise my comment that the spicy noodles are not especially spicy.  I had them last night, cooked as instructed with the boiling liquid getting drained off and the seasoning applied only to the noodles themselves.  

Thus cooked, the dish was very, very, very hot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SLB said:

Well, me and one other adult only ate one, so some person or two ate more than two.  I brought a total of 15, which I thought was going to be at least a dinner and a kids lunch.  I was wrong!  

And I wish to revise my comment that the spicy noodles are not especially spicy.  I had them last night, cooked as instructed with the boiling liquid getting drained off and the seasoning applied only to the noodles themselves.  

Thus cooked, the dish was very, very, very hot.  

Thanks for the update.  I'm going to try them but have one more question - how hot are the Tingly Chili ones?

I was talking about the Tingly Chili, not the spicy soy.  Sorry for the confusion. 

With the Tingly Chili -- if you sauce the noodles, and don't retain any of the boiling liquid, which is what I did last night -- my lips were on fire after 2/3 of the bowl.  It has a little of that szechuan pepper sensation, and then a whole lot of heat.  

Also -- I saw this today, https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/best-instant-noodles/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR0SA5qwqctGlAQbDEms1xAwkzQvSz13EQEyRGGHJy_pAVxHECrYm5Z4INM; and realized that I just have not consumed enough of this product to be making any truly intelligent comparison at all.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:28 AM, SLB said:

I've never had Ichiran or Sun

So for those that don't know Sun noodles is kinda like ACME smoked fish they sell wide variety of fresh noodles to most of the major players in Ramen restaurants and will do them to spec/customize as well. If you see something from them at a supermarket it should be decent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:28 AM, SLB said:

@Vapre Sigh.  I'm sorry.  

It’s all good. Happened a while ago. Just surprised/disappointed at the lack of follow-up. Their instant noodles are pretty decent.

also i meant to say the Sun noodles are fresh not dried so they usually are in the fridge section of shops...also they way i have seen them sold it's a two packet per box thing so one box you buy is for two folks (or one person if they are particularly hungry). 

tangential but i got gifted some of jacobsen salt co's furikake and i'd def req...especially to amp up something like these quick noodle dishes.

At the risk of being laughed at I ask how you can call noodles instant ramen when they are served with a sauce and not a broth. The Momofuku noodles come with sauce packages. The noodles are cooked and drained and then the sauce is added. It is enough to cook the noodles but not much more.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Anna N In Asia I see that way of serving called dry noodles. Sometimes with a cup of broth to sip alongside. 

Thanks but it doesn't really answer the question. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

At the risk of being laughed at I ask how you can call noodles instant ramen when they are served with a sauce and not a broth. The Momofuku noodles come with sauce packages. The noodles are cooked and drained and then the sauce is added. It is enough to cook the noodles but not much more.

From what I can see Momofuku doesn’t label their product as ramen noodles. Or am I missing something?

A popular small chain of ramen restaurants in my area serves broth less ramen. Sometimes they refer to it as ramen, other times as mazeman. 

https://www.aniramen.com/menus/#summer

Momofuku markets then as noodles, not ramen. 

I can’t seem to find the cooking instructions; only that they claim to cook in 4 minutes which is pretty “instant” to me. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)