• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to puree meat

Susanwusan

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yeah, Modernist Pantry has a price of US$7299.00 for the PacoJet 4 but darn, it’s out of stock!

You guys are just plain lazy - you can achieve the same results on frozen anything with a good old microplane, a lot of elbow grease and repetition.

Freeze. Grate. Freeze. Grate. Freeze. Grate …

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You guys are just plain lazy - you can achieve the same results on frozen anything with a good old microplane, a lot of elbow grease and repetition.

Freeze. Grate. Freeze. Grate. Freeze. Grate …

Enabler! We are all going to run out and get a new microplane. 

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Enabler! We are all going to run out and get a new microplane. 

Thank you ! And thank you also for wiring me my 10% cut on your savings on not having to buy a new pacojet. Now let me see: eight grand for the pacojet minus 25 bucks for the microplane …

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Somewhere, I have a reference to a chicken purée something, where the chicken is prepared solely using a Chinese cleaver, but takes hours. You probably don't want to know about that!

Er... no.  But, it does now make me think of the pestle and mortar, probably the granite type.

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

Please consider posting a picture of your dish - I imagine steamed broccoli with chicken purée dressing …

It's for someone who can only eat pureed food.  There's a tendency to hold and move about the mouth before swallowing and I thought it might be nicer for them to have the chicken without anything else affecting the flavour, just like we might eat a nice bit of cooked chicken without lots of other flavourings on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

It's for someone who can only eat pureed food.  There's a tendency to hold and move about the mouth before swallowing and I thought it might be nicer for them to have the chicken without anything else affecting the flavour, just like we might eat a nice bit of cooked chicken without lots of other flavourings on it.

So Pacojet has a whole program around foods for those who require purées. They even have a series of molds that lets you reform the purées into shapes that look like food. Marketed to posh nursing homes. 

I’m trying to talk the kitchen manager for Mission services into getting one cause we have a number of clients living in shelter who have special dietary needs and need to get their nutrition in an absorbable form that’s not Boost or Ensure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

I don't think I'll get one of those.  We have a thermomix, but that was donated, extra thankfully with two jugs.

Well - you can make a pretty respectable puree in the Thermomix - I'd poach the chicken in stock (or sous vide with some stock for flavor which is probably what I'd do) then puree it with as much of the stock as you need to get the texture you are after. 

I recall pureeing a Swiss Chalet chicken (sans skin and bones) in the Cuisinart a number of years ago for my mother in law when she was dying and couldn't handle solids without choking. Turned out very nicely. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thank you ! And thank you also for wiring me my 10% cut on your savings on not having to buy a new pacojet. Now let me see: eight grand for the pacojet minus 25 bucks for the microplane …

If I recall correctly she has a Pacojet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I recall correctly she has a Pacojet.

Course I bought it used for a lot, lot, lot less than 8 grand. 

On 11/19/2023 at 9:22 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I recall pureeing a Swiss Chalet chicken (sans skin and bones) in the Cuisinart a number of years ago for my mother in law when she was dying and couldn't handle solids without choking. Turned out very nicely. 

Enough years ago that their chickens did not yet consistently have a sawdust texture, I presume?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Enough years ago that their chickens did not yet consistently have a sawdust texture, I presume?

Gotta be pre - kid so 23 years ago at least. 

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Gotta be pre - kid so 23 years ago at least. 

Consistent with my experience, then. It's at least 20 years since I had a chicken there that didn't remind me of that last one at the supermarket that's been under a heatlamp for 10 hours. Last time I had the misfortune to darken their door (a family occasion, I didn't choose the venue) I ordered the ribs instead, and they'd clearly been kept from the previous day and reheated.

I remember them being decent once upon a time, but, well...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning