• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to puree meat

Susanwusan

16 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I've never tried to grind it, but what if you pureed it while raw, then gently cooked and re-ground? Seems like it might take some of the graininess out.

Possibly, like in a Thermomix, it can cook and blend at the same time?

• Like 1

What do you intend to do with said puree ? I assume you don’t consume it raw, so when do you encounter the „graininess“ ? It is a visual thing or a mouth-feel thing and if the latter, what is the final product in which you feel the graininess ?

On 11/17/2023 at 6:39 AM, Duvel said:

What do you intend to do with said puree ? I assume you don’t consume it raw, so when do you encounter the „graininess“ ? It is a visual thing or a mouth-feel thing and if the latter, what is the final product in which you feel the graininess ?

It's to do with mouth-feel really, but also it would look nicer as it normally has a split sort of look. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gilbertlevine said:

Do you think that it could be done with the ninja creami ?

Quite likely - if you look on the creami thread, I think I might have shown making pate in it - that or somebody else did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gilbertlevine said:

Do you think that it could be done with the ninja creami ?

49 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Quite likely - if you look on the creami thread, I think I might have shown making pate in it - that or somebody else did

I think it could be done. I made a chicken liver pate in the Creami following a PacoJet recipe. The liver went in the blender before freezing with chunks of butter. Then it took a couple of spins, first from frozen to pulverize everything. The second spin was at 60°F to emulsify it. 

Edited to add that obviously meat is doing to have tougher connective tissue than liver but I still think it's worth a try.  I'd definitely try it if I wanted to make a scallop or shellfish mousse and chicken might need one more spin.  Here's a PacoJet recipe for a chicken mousse

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susanwusan said:

It's to do with mouth-feel really, but also it would look nicer as it normally has a split sort of look. 

Please consider posting a picture of your dish - I imagine steamed broccoli with chicken purée dressing …

• Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

That looks brill.  How much would something like that cost?  A quick look doesn't show prices.

About eight grand I think that’s Canadian, of course.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

7 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

That looks brill.  How much would something like that cost?  A quick look doesn't show prices.

IIRC, the original is US$4500 - 5000. V2 was about eight grand. It seems like I recently heard about a new version, PacoJet 4, which cost slightly less, like US$7000 - 7500?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

16 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

IIRC, the original is US$4500 - 5000. V2 was about eight grand. It seems like I recently heard about a new version, PacoJet 4, which cost slightly less, like US$7000 - 7500?

Yeah, Modernist Pantry has a price of US$7299.00 for the PacoJet 4 but darn, it’s out of stock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1