• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat experts - What cut is this?

DanM

I pulled this piece of beef out of the freezer for tomorrow night, but I have no idea what cut it is. The butcher calls it persille de boeuf, which I cannot find anywhere online, Any thoughts on what it might be? Whats the best course to take on cooking it?

Thanks!

Dan 

PXL_20231005_145749283.jpg.9bef8dab55df8d738e84b4b332238549.jpgPXL_20231005_145740435.jpg.dcfa07a7f3c939b025b418f916f0fa3c.jpg

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

if it is uniformly thick , and not very thick 

inch , to no more than 2 inches 

it does look from your pics like flank.

does it have , on its  ends some some tendon like shite bits ?

of course , you could call the butcher shop

and ask if that's what they call flank 

this is what a whole-rsh flank looks ike

FlankSteak_psd.thumb.jpeg.68db98fe64088af33717acce767fb6d7.jpeg

its possible the tender-ous ends were cut off your example.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I thought of skit initially

the the pictured meat is too wide for either of the two skirts.

for now , Im going w @Duvel  take.

its worth noting , that in Europe , the butchering that Ive seen there

is quite different than the USA.

USA slices through hunks of meat , thus the fibers that you see on the cut meat

not not perpendicular to the cut , but at 90 degrees.  

the european cuts Ive seen , the fibers are parallel to the hunk.

and exception would be in the USA to a whole flank  , as seen on the posted pic.

• Thanks 1

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't flank steak because of the apparent size of the cut. This one that I had in the freezer seems to be the same size but only weighs a pound.

20231130_163202.thumb.jpg.a02a721e1d4741f02eedf50497550b41.jpg

This one is, at the thickest, about an inch. That's why I asked how thick the other one is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Definitely looks like flank steak. How thick is it?

At the thickest part... maybe 5cm... 1.5"?

It would be odd that this is a flank steak as that is not a normally found kosher cut of beef. I stopped by store today and asked about it. I was told it was a steak and to fry it... with some butter. I gave him a look and told him in my poor French that no, this is kosher meat, you dont cook it in butter. That is not kosher. 

Anyhow. I think I will use the immersion circulator to cook it to 129ish and then sear it? 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Captain said:

My people call it Skirt steak.

It is too thick for skirt steak. I'd love to find some kosher, but I have never seen it hear in Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanM said:

It would be odd that this is a flank steak as that is not a normally found kosher cut of beef. I stopped by store today and asked about it. I was told it was a steak and to fry it... with some butter. I gave him a look and told him in my poor French that no, this is kosher meat, you dont cook it in butter. That is not kosher. 

Many years ago I had a friend who wanted to call his punk band the "Kosher Cheeseburgers," but didn't think enough people would get the joke.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sadly, that was not a steak. It was a tough chew, but it was delicious. Better luck next time, I guess. 

PXL_20231201_184648168.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...