• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wireless Meat Thermometers

JoNorvelleWalker

There is a topic on the combustion.inc wireless thermometer however I have a knockoff of the combustion.inc probe by a brand named BBQOVN.

https://bbqovn.com

I really doubted the BBQOVN probe would work inside the Anova oven but it does.  I can sit at my desk on the opposite side of the apartment from the kitchen and monitor what the probe is reading.

Of course I can also monitor the Anova temperature from my desk.  The probe temperature tracks the oven temperature within a few tenths of a degree.  Impressive, I thought.  The probe is rated up to 500C and is dishwasher safe.

By now there must be other companies making similar probes.  I'd love to hear people's experiences.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Your probe is a knockoff of the Meater Bluetooth thermometer. There’s not really anything directly comparable to the Combustion Inc available. It has more temp sensors, non Bluetooth mode, predictive cooking, and the ability to find the core temp of your food even if your probe isn’t placed quite properly. All the other wireless probe thermometers I’ve seen are much less sophisticated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Your probe is a knockoff of the Meater Bluetooth thermometer. There’s not really anything directly comparable to the Combustion Inc available. It has more temp sensors, non Bluetooth mode, predictive cooking, and the ability to find the core temp of your food even if your probe isn’t placed quite properly. All the other wireless probe thermometers I’ve seen are much less sophisticated.

I see you are correct about Meater.  Nonetheless I am impressed.  I plan to give the BBQOVN a proper test tomorrow.

• Like 1

Last night's dinner was tacos al pastor.  The BBQOVN probe performed flawlessly.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/164739-dinner-2023/?do=findComment&comment=2408728

• Like 2

Something beeped.  In my technologically not so simple life I have countless devices that speak to me.  Many culinary but others not.  This was a new sound.

Perhaps you can see where this is going.  When I finished my last batch of tacos al pastor I neglected to turn off the BBQOVN thermometer.  It had been dutifully recording my cookery for 192 hours.  Somewhile into tonight's tacos al pastor the charge on the battery exhausted.

Who knows when dinner will be burnt or ready.  Meanwhile I enjoy my margarita.  Perhaps another.

I'm a fan of Thermoworks products. I recently bought a Smoke. For Thanksgiving I had my turkey poaching on the patio and next to it a pork roast in my smoker. I purchased the waterproof probe for the turkey. It was very handy to be able to track what was happening with the turkey and roast on the one remote.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Have had a Combustion Inc. Precision thermometer for a few months now and I’m all in. It’s absolutely incredible. Has really transformed dinner, especially on weeknights. The countdown has always been spot on, the graph/chart is awesome, and I’ve learned a ton which surprised me because I was already a really good cook. It’s like being able to see inside the meat as it cooks. Understanding carry over cooking better and I’ve changed some of my technique to get better results too. It’s all open source and the updates they have in the works look like they’re going to be pretty incredible. 

Cannot recommend it enough. The Reddit subreddit has been amazing too with Chris Young and other employees popping in daily to answer questions and help out. The entire thing is on another level of anything else out there. 

For reference I own a Thermapen, Thermapen One, Thermoworks older version of the smoker, and their Square Dot. All great thermometers, totally different than the Combustion. 

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1