• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Noodles/Cup Noodles/Instant Ramen

AmritaBala

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

All the comments for this video are about this sweet grandmotherly person making ramen, but honestly this is what my kitchen looks like when I'm drunk and it's 2am.

Maybe I turn into a Korean abuela after midnight.

Only one mai tai so far but it is getting close to 2am.  When the album I'm listening to (Mary Gauthier's Mercy Now) is over this sweet grandmotherly person will go start making dumplings.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.131814bfb849a3d95439562769431d11.png

Have you heard about noodles that's perfect for summer? When I visited Seoul last summer one of the dishes I had to try was naengmyeon. My friend recommended it as a must-eat in Seoul https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5535 She wasn't wrong - it was so refreshing! It's Korean cold noodles made with buckwheat flour. The noodles have a nice chew and are served in an icy broth with slices of cucumber and other veggies to help you cool off. I tried mine at a place in Insadong. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 4:13 PM, lemniscate said:

I bought a 16 pack of Ottogi plain instant noodle (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), a little over $1 a pack.  I can pair these with my homemade stock, an egg, hot sauce and some chopped green onions and be very happy.   Recommended.

How long do these take to cook?  No instructions on the package or on the Amazon site that I can find.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How long do these take to cook?  No instructions on the package or on the Amazon site that I can find.

I think just under 5 min works for me.  Less if like a chew to them.

Edited by lemniscate
2 many me's (log)
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ramen Rater says ~4 min.

This site says 5 min.

【Steps to cook】

1) Boil water and add noodles

2) Cook for 5 minutes with stirring occasionally

3) Remove from heat, drain and 8 spoons of water

4) Add little salt, pepper & margarine or soy sauce (light/dark/sweet)

• Thanks 1