Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot Noodles/Cup Noodles/Instant Ramen


AmritaBala
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nissin started just down the road. The bachelor and uni student's inexpensive friend. They sell it round here in case lots.   https://nissinfoods.com/  often the first thing hungry teen boys "learn" to cook. History is interesting  https://nissinfoods.com/our-story

Edited by heidih (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

From what I've read over time, it isn't the sodium that's so evil but the preservative.    Not a problem for the random diner but actually harmful to those who eat this as a regular part of their diet.    Google it.

hmmmm...I wonder it it's also the method they use to dry the noodles

 

I think Maruchan (and probably all the others) dry it by deep frying in fat (faster than air drying method) so that's where the fat content comes from???  (based on some youtube video I saw) 

 

But I think they all taste great and the world is better with them 

 

I hear about guys making $1 a day or less. I think this 25 cent pack of noodles helps them get through the day at least 

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2020 at 10:03 AM, naguere said:

I have just discovered noodles and how delicious they are.

My dear friend George of 40 years says "if it don't come from Englandland i don't eat it.

What a treat he is missing.

 

Unable to find my pics, sorry

 

that's so weird there aren't domestic UK producers of such a magnificent thing

 

didn't the UK internationalize tea, bone china, madras, and other foreign objects 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Duvel said:


Maybe because Japan hasn’t been a British colony ...

 

Neither has the US but we certainly ran with it ')  When  we started getting the ones with multiple flavor packets - the salty bit, the oil with allium of some sort, and dry hot spice - my son was quite happy. He always augmented from pantry but this was all inclusive  in the overly cheap packet. The rice noddle ones always seemed a bit too mushy for me. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, heidih said:

 

Neither has the US but we certainly ran with it ')  When  we started getting the ones with multiple flavor packets - the salty bit, the oil with allium of some sort, and dry hot spice - my son was quite happy. He always augmented from pantry but this was all inclusive  in the overly cheap packet. The rice noddle ones always seemed a bit too mushy for me. 

 

Yankee Doodle went to town

A-riding on a pony,

Stuck a feather in his cap

And called it macaroni.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Yankee Doodle went to town

A-riding on a pony,

Stuck a feather in his cap

And called it macaroni.

 

 

Ah the urban legend of pasta. I've always thought women just figured it out in parallel across the continents.Did not need those explorer  guys ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

 

There are UK producers.

I wonder if the British version has like a dehydrated version of fish and chips or beef wellington flavor 

 

A Frenchmen might say the British version is a version of ramen that tastes bad  - lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, eugenep said:

that's so weird there aren't domestic UK producers of such a magnificent thing

 

Walmart here in Colorado carries a brand called Naked Noodle.  I notice it's produced in Leeds.  I've had the varieties available to me:

 

Singapore Curry (best to my tastes)

Thai Sweet Chili (not bad)

Thai Green Curry (also not bad)

Teriyaki (not much flavor)

Chow Mein (not much flavor)

 

http://symingtons.com/products/new-snack-pots/

 

I don't have much experience with instant noodles, but I bought ten at the supermarkets today.  Especially looking forward to trying Indomie Mi Goreng Fried Noodle, Nongshim Shin and Shin Black, Nissin RAOH Umami Tonkotsu Flavor & RAOH Soy Sauce Flavor, and Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein.

Edited by Chimayo Joe
Added link (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the Indomie , and it was very good.  Several packets are mixed together to create a sauce that the (drained) cooked noodles are then added to.  You don't get the broth that many of the soupy instant noodles have, but the upside to that is that the flavoring isn't diluted.  I'll be trying more of the Indomie varieties for sure.

 

Also had Nongshim Shin Black. That one was a noodle soup cup.  I managed to boil it over in the microwave, so I'm sure i lost some of the flavoring from the packets dumped on top before heating. It was still pretty good, but not as good as the Indomie. I also have Nongshim Shin (non-black version.) I'll have to be more careful next time with that one.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2020 at 4:15 AM, Paul Bacino said:

use the noodles-  make your own broth/stock--then add just a touch of the pack.

Yes, that's what I've done. If you are willing to graduate to a fresh noodle or some udon you can make the flavor-pack last for several meals, as long as you have some stock on hand. The you can take the packaged noodles and break them up and use them in a retro sixties or seventies nostalgia salad or slaw type thing. I know all these revisions eventually result in something less easy and slower than just using the whole original package as intended.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, MeanFontMietta said:

The US have a few the best kind is Marauchan, the others are pretty good but the pasta is thinner. Nissin though is not very tasteful at all to me. 

 

That is bottom end generic to most in US. Most groceries the aisle is flight path long and the selections are vast. Perhaps you are from a small town?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ones yu stated

18 minutes ago, MeanFontMietta said:

Which brand is generic to you?

 

The ones you stated. But the markets (esp Asian)  are replete with options, As I noted the standards are made here in Southern California. but not that exciting in general. Huge vast biz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Does anybody have any specific recommendations (including the name of the flavor) for products they have tried & that they really like? I'm willing to mail order. My standbys are all considered ramen, but I'm interested in other stuff like laksa, Korean stuff, etc. I do like spicy (hot) flavors as well.

 

I like Nongshim Black ramen. I prefer the square pack to the cup (noodle texture is better). @CantCookStillTry mentioned it upthread, but it's worth mentioning again.

 

black-ramen-nongshim.png.4e4eb1c17b7bb63e35908e43001981cb.png

 

Every so often, I'll want to eat Sapporo Ichiban, original flavor (inexpensive as well). I also like the Nissin Cup Noodles (chicken flavor) once in a while.

 

sapporo-ichiban.png.7a69587b8ad1d448b8a07cee66ede51d.png

 

Not sure this one really qualifies because the noodles are fresh, but I also like Sun brand shoyu ramen.

 

IMG_0694.thumb.jpeg.62626dd997965956ed7a95c94f48e0ca.jpeg

 

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to hearing what you all like.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Does anybody have any specific recommendations (including the name of the flavor) for products they have tried & that they really like? I'm willing to mail order. My standbys are all considered ramen, but I'm interested in other stuff like laksa, Korean stuff, etc. I do like spicy (hot) flavors as well.

 

I like Nongshim Black ramen. I prefer the square pack to the cup (noodle texture is better). @CantCookStillTry mentioned it upthread, but it's worth mentioning again.

 

black-ramen-nongshim.png.4e4eb1c17b7bb63e35908e43001981cb.png

 

Every so often, I'll want to eat Sapporo Ichiban, original flavor (inexpensive as well). I also like the Nissin Cup Noodles (chicken flavor) once in a while.

 

sapporo-ichiban.png.7a69587b8ad1d448b8a07cee66ede51d.png

 

Not sure this one really qualifies because the noodles are fresh, but I also like Sun brand shoyu ramen.

 

IMG_0694.thumb.jpeg.62626dd997965956ed7a95c94f48e0ca.jpeg

 

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to hearing what you all like.

 

 

Japanese Noodles Tonkotsu Ramen Concentration Pork Bone Soup

 

Good stuff.

 

  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

This looks to my inexperienced eye as though it is a soup concentrate for noodles (or whatever) and that it does not contain noodles in the packet. Am I reading that right?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...