• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I had to google dabu dabu and I've been to Sarawak 4 times and eaten it...although it was too far before my food explorations have gotten me that far in the kitchen.  Looks great.  Would love to know what was in yours.

Dabu dabu is a sambal originating from North Sulawesi, Indonesia, and is one of the few "raw" Indonesian sambals.  The only other one I can think of is sambal matah, from Bali.  It's funny, I've heard that sambal dabu dabu is popular all over Indonesia, but I didn't realize it made into Malaysia as well.  There are a few areas in Sarawak that are on our list of destinations but we haven't made it there yet.

In any case, the traditional dabu dabu is pretty simple - green and red tomatoes (they should be unripe and a little sour), shallots and a LOT of chillies.  Everything is chopped (that's what dabu dabu means) and then a little bit of hot oil is poured over the top - not enough to cook it but to bring out the flavors.  I used a combination of coconut oil and rice bran oil.  The Minahasa people (those who live in North Sulawesi) pride themselves on having the spiciest food in Indonesia.  One time I had this while we were in Manado and I could barely eat it, it was so spicy.  This mango version is very non-traditional - I never saw mango anywhere near a dabu dabu while there, but we like it so I add it anyway.  I used 5 long red chillies (my local store calls them Holland chillies or something like that, but they're similar to a prik chee faa in Thailand) that were deseeded and mostly deveined, plus 2 Thai chillies, 3 plum tomatoes (I can't get green tomatoes here), 2 shallots and 1.5 Ataulfo mangoes (one of the mangoes was only half good).

• Thanks 4

@Kim ShookI love reading through all of your meals and with all you've been through I can't believe how much you cooked!  Your SV fried chicken looks to die for.  And raisin pie!  Ronnie's mom used to make that for his brother.  I had never heard of it before being around them.  It's SO good and I never think to make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

I planted those in my garden this year, but sadly none of them survived the erratic spring weather. I'll probably try again next year.

I see the vines in community garden usually trellised. The gardeners usually Asian/South Asian. Fun visual.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Failure to take a picture before we start digging in means...

image.thumb.jpeg.7996c14b99f80a1ed8b5f06b746926de.jpeg

The table looks a bit like a crime scene, though I've cropped out the really bad part...oh, what the heck...

Marcella beans, reheated in the oven with Parmigiano and bread crumbs.  Criminal green beans and wax beans "marinara."
Gambas al ajillo.

Those shrimp are beautifully plump. The type you recently ordered from Wild Fork? I do realize your cooking skill factors into the nice result.

Yesterday, I went for grocery shopping without my usual shopping list. They had some fantastic looking short ribs (Leiterstück), chanterelles (Pfifferlinge) and an unusual wheat flour (type 660), amongst other things. The fun began at home, when to think what to do with that.

So, I started with @Chufi‘s butter braised beef recipe, using the short ribs. About 30 min before the end of the cooking I added a handful of dried death trumpets and the chanterelles, fried in clarified butter fat, resulting in a very rich and meltingly tender buttery mushroom beef stew …

Served with some Schupfnudeln made from the strong wheat flour and a fork - nothing else needed to cut the beef 🤗

IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.e99b526fe981453f01767103a00b6f4e.jpeg

No complaints at all !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Supper tonight was a Quiche Lorraine.ish , as I added some cubed ham to the bacon and Gruyère cheese, it was a positive addition.

Served it with a green salad and tomatoes.

Followed by peach ice cream and a sliver of peach raspberry cake.

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

53 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Shiitake ribs. With garlic, ginger, bay leaf, soy sauce. Served rice and stir-fried sweet potato shoots.

Is bay leaf common with those aromatics?

On 8/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You stole my question!

I wouldn't go so far as to say common, but certainly not unknown. Ginger and garlic are in almost everything, but hot pots and slow cooked dishes such as ribs frequenty also include bay leaves. Not stir fries though. Bay leaves are noted for being used in many Sichuan dishes.

The Chinese for bay leaf is 香叶 (xiāng yè) which literally translates as 'savoury leaf'. And they are real bay leaves from the bay laurel plant, unlike many elsewhere.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, scamhi said:

small dinner for 5 last night

Stracciatella base with heirloom tomatoes and basil oil

main course of pork and clams from this recipe.

Wines were both excellent. The 1976 Vosnes still very alive although I would not hold it much longer

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

When I see wines like that,  i pretty much know it's u.. Suz

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

荷兰豆炒鱿鱼须 (hé lán dòu chǎo yóu yú xū),  stir-fried snow peas and squid.

.thumb.jpg.4abfd4238552d8243437dfb37a7fe536.jpg

Snow peas and squid are a classic pairing round here. It's a dish which, before I broke my back, I often cooked. This one is from a local restaurant called "柳州妈妈菜 (liǔ zhōu mā ma cài)" which means 'Liuzhou Mama's Food". I don't know about that, but it is homely fare.

The 'tomato' in the dish isn't tomato. It's pickled red chilies. Not standard.

荷兰豆 (hé lán dòu) or snow peas literally means 'Holland beans'. The name arose from the generally believed idea that they were first cultivated there, then introduced to China by the English. They were formerly known as Dutch peas in Engish.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

It's been so busy around here.  Much to my huge dismay I got a notice that I was to be at the courthouse tomorrow at 8:45 am for jury duty. NOOOOOOOOO.  You're supposed to go online to check the night before to see if you still have to.  I was so relieved to check the website Friday evening and find out that I didn't have to go!  Anyway, I'm going to make bread here in a bit and just putz around the kitchen while watching the Little League World Series because I'm celebrating lol.  

I had bought a bag of frozen teriyaki chicken from Misfits a while back.  Decided to make that with some rice and frozen dumplings.  It was just meh.  I spiced the sauce up a bit with some Thai chilies.  At least I got something used out of the freezer.

thumbnail_IMG_4863.jpg.fd945672b29b9f1c3c3402985a1d58a3.jpg

Ham/tomato/cheese/onion paninis 

thumbnail_IMG_4866.jpg.2fa77a6bc56ae2aa93577dbff716d7ab.jpg

Still eating potatoes from the garden.  They have stayed good for a long time.

thumbnail_IMG_4867.jpg.653c39a7a901f7b21f91d3671932267b.jpg

Fried walleye, stewed okra and tomatoes, Mac and cheese, stuffed mushrooms.

thumbnail_IMG_4869.jpg.23e51209785f1bdd0b849be07a078d97.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4871.jpg.7b60673017c623478227ff911c674613.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4872.jpg.33fd47f820c2d9fe5490b14ec45940c5.jpg

BLT's and tuna ranch pasta salad

thumbnail_IMG_4875.jpg.e496b94178a8af39fd744ebe699c8911.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4876.jpg.c5f4cd8618145be28b73a19c9ca8136a.jpg

Friday at 4:20 in the afternoon the power suddenly went out.  No storms or wind or anything going on.  I figured it was due to the extreme heat.  There are only two houses on these power lines.  Us and our neighbors.  I was praying it would come back on soon, but it didn't.  Found out late that night from my farmer that his brother (he also farms here) was harvesting our corn on the other side of the tree line and became wrapped up in the power lines somehow.  Thank GOD he didn't get hurt.  Two poles were broken.  Bless the hard working electric company people who worked all night to get us up and running.  Power finally came back at about 5 Saturday morning.  It was a very long hot night.  We talked about going to town to get something to eat but it was hot and Ronnie hadn't had a shower (we don't have water if the power is out)and just plain didn't want to drive that far so I decided to just cook some breakfast on the stove.  Yay for gas ovens!  It gets darker earlier than you think these days lol.  Squash, fried potatoes and scrambled eggs.

thumbnail_IMG_4882.jpg.ef934e5450a1b1d3af12e5d1fdc0865d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4885.jpg.11816bc0ca8fc0458cbbc383d3d0bd7d.jpg

Sausage/mushroom/pepper/onion pizza last night with a salad last night

thumbnail_IMG_4887.jpg.2502aa7c7861f4e6572e3001804d3033.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4888.jpg.3175ddaf229d8a8050061550ab643276.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4889.jpg.2e49e1ff25a46edfe9f80f786fe3d720.jpg

Cherry/strawberry galette and sorbet for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_4890.jpg.b05bac774fcef65274bc915e2e5e3750.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 7

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yay for gas ovens!

Aah! Candlelit dinner. Lovely!

I've always been glad my cooking is with gas. We get too many electricity outages here but I can always cook. I have a tabletop induction cooker, so the rare times the gas supply is cut for pipe maintenance I can rustle up something on that or call for delivery. The gas and electric have never, touch wood, both been out at the same time.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Aah! Candlelit dinner. Lovely!

I've always been glad my cooking is with gas. We get too many electricity outages here but I can always cook. I have a tabletop induction cooker, so the rare times the gas supply is cut for pipe maintenance I can rustle up something on that or call for delivery. The gas and electric have never, touch wood, both been out at the same time.

I totally agree with you.  I would hate having to go back to electric.  We lost power for 12 days due to an ice storm and that stove was a life saver.

• Like 2

Amazing how much gas pilots use. When we switched our old 8 pilot vulcan for the no pilot Blue Star the LP gas use fell so far that we got a call from the supplier asking what in the hell we did to reduce usage so much.  😃

• Like 5