• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering Whiskey and such neat

Porthos

On 12/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, TicTac said:

Many people lately are so into cask strength hooch (I do not get the hype given the ethanol burn) - at 120-140 proof, THOSE are fires that require taming (or just to be put as jet engine fuel, quite frankly).

I have a Knob Creek 9yr 120pr Single Barrell store pick that I think would change your mind 😁  

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

58 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I have a Knob Creek 9yr 120pr Single Barrell store pick that I think would change your mind 😁  

I love those KC reserve store picks, but I do find that just a trickle of cold water is something they benefit from.  It's not just the heat.  That touch of additional water seems to release a lot of flavor.  Sometimes I will even pour over a cube of ice, then remove the cube after 10 or 15 seconds.

May not work for you, but definitely does for me!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I love those KC reserve store picks, but I do find that just a trickle of cold water is something they benefit from.  It's not just the heat.  That touch of additional water seems to release a lot of flavor.  Sometimes I will even pour over a cube of ice, then remove the cube after 10 or 15 seconds.

May not work for you, but definitely does for me!

Absolutely, nothing wrong with playing around with it.  Sure, the the cask strengths/high proofers will have crazy heat but the complexities in the good ones more than make up for it.    

That wasn't chicken

I order spirits neat occasionally and haven't had a problem with being understood. But I'm usually doing it at places with well-trained staff.

I am a firm believer that a splash of water can open up a spirit and make its subtleties become more apparent. On our first stop touring the bourbon trail, my wife and I visited Heaven Hill in Bardstown. After completing their tour, we did a complimentary tasting where we were offered, among other things, some 18 year old Elijah Craig. It was served alongside a small dropper bottle of water. We were instructed to smell and taste the bourbon neat, then to add a few drops of water to the glass and nose/taste again. The difference between "before" and "after" was not small; the aroma, taste, and overall flavor were much enhanced by the addition of a small amount of water -- not enough to dilute things, but enough to wake up the spirit. I don't know the chemistry of why this happens, but it's undeniable.   

My usual drink at home is booze in a glass with ice. Not a lot of ice, but I do like a cube or two to chill things down slightly and tame the burn -- if I'm going to be having more than one, that is. I also don't tend to put ice in anything that costs more than $35 or so -- with the possible exception of some barrel strength stuff, and then only on occasion. In the expensive stuff, a drop or two of water is all I add. Unless it's the summer time. Or I just feel like it.

I have no principles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Duvel said:

My favorite place to drink has a “neat” day today …

8CEF81FC-7D3D-451E-80E9-338781BDA8F9.thumb.jpeg.3a93d4e944754eea355d1e5b49fcb2e1.jpeg

27B5F568-46CA-41FB-8B9A-D6C2D8151DB7.thumb.jpeg.5f8f6a0e608efa3d2df8f8307c25adba.jpeg

(because when we arrived, the freezer was unplugged)

Pardon my envy. What a wonderful view to enjoy that sip by.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;