• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

Add about a dozen for me, half or so are cocktail recipe books. Another dozen that are about food, but not really cookbooks..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

The New Whole Grains Cookbook by Robin Asbell arrived in a box from Amazon yesterday.

Oooh, thanks andiesenji, I hadn't seen that one before. I think I need it.

Since the last time I posted, I've probably added... oh, I'm going to guess 12 books.

My mom was visiting earlier this year and at one point she was looking at my cookbook shelf in total puzzlement. "Why do you have so many cookbooks?? You only need ONE."

*sigh*

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 weeks later...

My mom was visiting earlier this year and at one point she was looking at my cookbook shelf in total puzzlement. "Why do you have so many cookbooks?? You only need ONE."

*sigh*

That might be an interesting discussion to start as a new thread. If you could only have ONE cookbook, what would it be?

I agree though, you only need one, but I'll qualify that by ending it with "at a time!" Meaning, in your hand, with 200 others on your shelf, waiting to be in your hand. :cool:

• Like 1

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

I have 50 at the moment, most recently Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at home and before that Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (the new version). If my Christmas wish list is fulfilled, there will be a few more by the end of the year (mostly bread-related). I've started buying more now that I can write them off as a business expense since I started a cookbook related website; I just have to be careful - writing them off doesn't make them free...

www.cookbooker.com - Rate and review your cookbook recipes.

Cookbooker Challenge: July/Aug 2010 - collaboratively baking & reviewing Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.

And another: Anita Chu. Field Guide to Canada: How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable. Anita Chu aka PastryGirl. Great little book! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...
I just finished cataloging most of my Asian and International cookbooks...the list may be found at:

http://dmreed.com/food-cooking-asian-cookbooks-0781kb.html

the total so far is 560!

there are probably 20-40 more which I have to dig out or have not yet perused and there are more coming in the mail. I will attempt to keep the list up to date.

my next catalogging project may be the rest of my cookbooks maybe 300+.

I have notced multiple copies of several books which I will offer for sale on ebay.

the list of books will help me avoid buying the same book more than once!

I have passed the 600 Asian Cookbooks number! 609 unique book titles and 474 book cover images.

I am still trying to track down the missing book covers and as son as I have done that and then put the collection into alphabetical order, I will begin cataloging the remainder of my cookbooks.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 2 weeks later...

Woo-hoo! Jessica's Biscuit finally came thru with 3 more for me (ordered them back in November, maill was misdirected, yadda yadda yadda.) Finally got them yesterday, the new green Gourmet (which comes with an offer of a year's free subscription to the magazine :shock: ), a biography of Clarissa Dickson Wright(the second of the 2 Fat Ladies), Good Eats The Early Years, and All American Dictionary of Food and Drink (I think; it was one of their Freebies) I'm set for a while, and my birthday is in April :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The accountant for this topic hasn't been keeping her end up -- my apologies! Including one for me ("Momofuko" worth it for the pickle recipes alone) that's 167,123.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I know it's actually a lot, but that number seems kind of low for us..

I know it's actually a lot, but that number seems kind of low for us..

I agree. I think it's kind of like the NPR donors v listeners ratio; there are numerous active members here who've never posted their totals. I think the real total is at least five times greater.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I wonder, Maggie, how many of those active users even know how many cookbooks they have. When you started this, I had to go count. And it took me three days to have the time to do it, and remember to actually count when I had the time to do it..

Add another one Maggie! I just picked up "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart. I can't wait to start baking bread!

• 3 weeks later...

I have 88 (conservatively counting) but a few more on the way.

Chris

"What's more, I believe it's a cook's moral obligation to add more butter given the chance."

Michael Ruhlman,
Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind Everyday Cooking

Counting cookbooks is a guilty pleasure: you can wallow in your thousands or take pride in your small, brilliantly curated half shelf. Go count -- and yes, food-related books and cocktail books cut it. Mags and digital files don't.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Add another one for me, Real Cajun Cooking. I can't remember the author right now (the book is at home, and i'm not) but it was beautifully photographed and the recipes looks delicious just as a list of ingredients.

• 4 weeks later...

Two more for me, Bobby Flay's Bold American Food and Ina Garten'sBarefoot Contessa: Back to Basics.