• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

Just added one more with Keller's Bouchon. Was tossing up between that and French Laundry and Ad Hoc (saving Under Pressure for when I eventually get the sous vide setup going) and figured the bistro book would be more to my interests.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Threestars, what have you got, and what type of food do you want to learn about and/or cook? I'm sure you can get some helpful advise here! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Hundreds, and I haven't counted them lately. Heavy on baking as that's my main interest. About a dozen new ones since the beginning of the year. I found eGullet when my search engine brought up this thread! :laugh:

• Haha 1

I'm estimating around 75 but adding more everyday (and I thought I had a lot and then I read this thread).

Latest acquisitions:

Prudhomme Family cookbook (thanks to PopsicleToze)

James Beards American Cookery

Some Bread Machine books given to me by my MIL along with her bread machine. :smile:

and today I ordered

Supernatural Everyday by Heidi from 101 Cookbooks blog.

@judiu:

Just some super old cook books from my mom but some of them are still good, some of them are from my uncle who used to love buying cookbooks when he is still alive.. :) Anyway, I'm thinking of buying some new cook books this month and start from there. :)

Add two for me:

Asian Dumplings by Andrea Nuguyen (can't WAIT to try out some of these recipes!)

Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks

Trying to break out of the baking book rut!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Just received "Cooking With Jane Austen" the first in the Feasting with Fiction Series from the Greenwood Publishing Group.

This cookbook published in 2005 - 414 pages with original recipes and modern versions.

There are also a lot of engravings from the period - most satirical - especially those by Rowlinson and Cruikshank.

The second in the series is Cooking With Shakespeare was published in 2008 - I haven't yet ordered this one.

I'm a big fan of Jane Austen so decided to add this one to my collection of JA peripheral books.

I already have The Jane Austen Cookbook and Tea With Jane Austen.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Additions, small and great

Slater - Tender pt. 1 & 2

Ottolenghi - Plenty

Redzepi - Noma

Hazan - Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

Von Bremzen - New Spanish Table

Besh - My New Orleans

Robuchon - Complete Robuchon

Tsuji - Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

I just ordered the recently published Encyclopedia of Sandwiches cookbook after looking at the book one of the members of my book club purchased a few days ago.

I do have several other sandwich books (Nancy Silverton's, etc.) but this one has some content that appeals to me and the photography is exceptional - and inspiring.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Heres my list:

1. On Cooking (My general go to book)

2. The Professional Chef

3. The Professional Pastry Chef

4. The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef

5. Sauces, Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making (This was one of the first cook books I got, I dont use it much anymore though)

6. Garde Manger from CIA (I dont know why I got this book, it was a bit disappointing)

7. Foie Gras, A Passion (Love the pictures)

8. Europes Master Chefs (I saw this book a long time ago at a Barnes and Noble and found a used copy online)

9. Chocolates and Confections (Probably my favorite book right now)

10. Joy of Cooking 1975 edition (I always thought this was a good book to have, and I there are many copies on Amazon for just a few dollars.)

11. Mastering the Art of French Cooking (This is a very very old copy I found on my Grandfathers bookshelf)

12. A Taste of Tradition (Book on Jewish cooking, given to me by a close friend from Israel)

13. The Multi-Cultural Cusine of Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean (Given to my by a friend from Trinidad and Tobago)

14. Modern Greek (Given to my by my mother)

15. Culinary Artistry

16. Cooking Basics for Dummies

17. Bartending for Dummies (Got this when I turned 21)

18. Food Lovers Companion

19. Best Czech Recipes (Given to me by my Czech friend when he visited the Czech Republic)

You can add Under Pressure and Sous Vide for the Home Cook to my list...guess what two pieces of kitchen gadgetry I just bought! :biggrin:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Two new books... River Cottage Everyday and For the Love of Food by Denis Cotter.

Regarding Leek and Potato Soup...

"It is a scientific fact that eight out of ten people prefer their potato soups just a little bit lumpy. Of the other two, one likes it really lumpy and the other is French."

-Denis Cotter :biggrin:

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I've got only 25. A meager collection, but it is in its infancy!

Tragically, my uncle (with a collection I am not capable of estimating) recently sent me a box of books by media mail (probably another 15-20 at least knowing him ;-) that go lost by the post office!!! What a bummer.

Korean Table - Debra Samuels, Taekyung Chung

Seven Fires - Fracis Mallman

Catalan Cuisine - Coleman Andrews

Serendip: My Sri Lankan Kitchen - Peter Kuravita

Culinaria Germany - Christine Metzger

Essential Cuisines of Mexico - Diana Kennedy, because I loved Art so much

New Book of Middle Eastern - Claudia Roden

Pier - Greg Doyle and others

Made in Italy - Giorgio Locatelli

Momofuku - David Chang

Becasse - Justin North

Dashi and Umami - various (the cover lists Blumenthal and Nobu and such but I'm pretty sure they just wrote forewards and introductions and prefaces and prologues)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Culinaria Hungry

Culinaria Greece

Culinaria South-East Asia: Singapore, Malaysia & Indonesia

Taste of Nepal - Pathak

White Heat - White

Cooking of South-West France - Wolfert

Moroccan Food - Wolfert

Book of Jewish Food - Roden

Tetsuya - Wakuda

Real Cajun - Link

Ad Hoc at Home - Keller

Formulas for Flavour - Campbell

Indulge - Clark

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Apart from the old standbys - Joy (1952 edition) and NY Times (1954 edition), I have:

Fanny Farmer (1960)

Food that Really Schmecks (The Mennonite cooking bible!)

The 1922 Purity Cookbook (love this one)

Cooking in the Clouds (which I'm currently working on revamping and re-issuing, along with the Damas of Ecuador - this is a compendium of traditional Ecuadorian and Altitude-Friendly recipes)

Bread.

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Chocolate

Tibetan Cooking

and five large binders full of handwritten recipes from at least 100 different chef/caterer friends.

That's it. I should probably expand, but really, the best food on my table has come from seat-of-the-pants experimentation....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 4 weeks later...

I have about 120. Favourites include...

Nutmeg and Custard - Marcus Wareing

Becasse, Inspirations and Flavours - Justin North

The Big Fat Duck Cookbook - Heston Blumenthal

Under Pressure, Cooking Sous Vide - Thomas Keller

Quay, Food Inspired By Nature - Peter Gilmore

All pretty mordernist, but great books nonetheless.

James.