• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do You Feel About Buying and Using e-Cookbooks?

Bill Klapp

7 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

I find them incredibly difficult to use

To read, to search, I agree. To use not so much. Their kitchen manuals work very well. YMMV. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

But this not without complications.  I am a huge fan of Modernist Cuisine I have everything that they’ve published but because of the size of the books and the difficulty in searching for information I find them incredibly difficult to use other than Modernist Cuisine at Home which is available through “inking”  and has a great search capability.

All the Modernist books are indexed over at Eat Your Books.  I you haven’t tried it, you might sign up for a free account, play around with the filters and see if it helps you out. Free accounts are limited to 5 books and Bread & Pizza have each volume indexed separately so you won’t be able to add them all to your library at once but could swap them in and out as needed.
I rely heavily on EYB to search all my books and am a big fan. 

• Like 3

I can’t figure out how to use eat  your books from what I can see after signing up It tells you where the recipe is and you still have to go to the big book which kind of defeats the purpose.

What I’m trying to do is get access to the Books on my iPad legally and In do not mind paying for this luxury. 

Blue-dolphin I see you’re from southern California so you might have a leg up on me technically.  Maybe but I’m looking for easy and eat your books and I can’t figure out how to access it.  

Mike Macdonald Calgary

49 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

I can’t figure out how to use eat  your books from what I can see after signing up It tells you where the recipe is and you still have to go to the big book which kind of defeats the purpose.

For good or ill that's exactly how it works.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I'm a middle-aged fogey who LOVES books and couldn't get behind the idea of a Kindle when they first came out. But hard copy cookbooks are completely impractical for me, between keeping them open to the right page and keeping them clean and having room to store them..... etc.. I find it much easier to use e-recipes with digital menu planner, to import recipes and make the changes based on my family's preferences. 

Edited by streem26 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1