• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you take your whiskey: neat or with water/ice?

Porthos

I'm curious how many of my fellow egulleters order spirits neat. I've noticed the need to explain what neat is in response to puzzled looks from people who serve alcohol as part of their livelihood. 

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I do.  If drinking scotch, for an Islay malt, I'll ask for a water back typically to add a few drops to the glass.  I'm particularly fond of Speysides and Highland malts, but every now and then nothing goes so well as a bracing Islay.  If we're talking bourbon or Irish whiskey, always neat.

Edit:  Sorry, missed the second part.  I've never actually had a bartender not understand my request for a neat pour.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've had puzzled looks when I've ordered spirits neat.

Is the look because they don't know what it means, though? Or just that they are surprised that you want to drink it that way? The latter seems a lot more likely to me.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Is the look because they don't know what it means, though? Or just that they are surprised that you want to drink it that way? The latter seems a lot more likely to me.

That they have no idea what neat means.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Not something I've ever experienced, but then I've never been to the USA.

Now days I don't frequent establishments where they serve what I would drink neat neat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For example I was told there were something like six bottles of Joy allocated to New Jersey, admittedly a small state.  How many of us are mixing it in mai tais?

Though most usually if I drink something neat it is barrel strength, single barrel Whistlepig.  I don't go looking for it at the corner gastropub.  (They have great cider on tap though.)

No trouble having the term understood here. I always take my whisk(e)y neat. My father drank it always with a little water; I dislike the change that brings. Each to his own.

Whisky is the only thing I drink that way. Vodka over ice, gin with tonic etc.

I am a bourbon guy far more than scotch.  Guess it's the sweet tooth in me.

Some bourbons I will only drink neat (the last remnants of my precious Pappy 12 Lot B, for example) and some I prefer with ice (Elijah Craig or Eagle Rare for example).  In the summer certainly I tend to favour a rock or two in it.

You folks down south have such a far better selection than we can get up here in Canada.  Damn this virus, been needing to get down there to stock up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

I am a bourbon guy far more than scotch.  Guess it's the sweet tooth in me.

Some bourbons I will only drink neat (the last remnants of my precious Pappy 12 Lot B, for example) and some I prefer with ice (Elijah Craig or Eagle Rare for example).  In the summer certainly I tend to favour a rock or two in it.

You folks down south have such a far better selection than we can get up here in Canada.  Damn this virus, been needing to get down there to stock up!

I'm with you. Definitely a bourbon guy myself.  Generally prefer it neat, though sometimes an ice cube or two is so smooth and refreshing.  My late Estonian grandfather in law - can we say, straight vodka? - always gave us grief on summer trips up north.  "Why do you Americans want to water down your booze?"

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

A friend came over for dinner 

last night. I offered him a drink and he chose Glenfiddich. I found a highball glass aNd, putting ice in it, asked, “rocks, right.” He said “I’d rather have it neat,” and I dumped the ice in the sink.

Perhaps more suited to the “unexpected gifts” thread, he brought me small bottles (250 Ml?) of Glenmorangie 12, 14 and 20 year old. Those will be consumed neat.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

39 minutes ago, kayb said:

A friend came over for dinner 

last night. I offered him a drink and he chose Glenfiddich. I found a highball glass aNd, putting ice in it, asked, “rocks, right.” He said “I’d rather have it neat,” and I dumped the ice in the sink.

Perhaps more suited to the “unexpected gifts” thread, he brought me small bottles (250 Ml?) of Glenmorangie 12, 14 and 20 year old. Those will be consumed neat.

Nice!  Heard good things about Glenmorangie.

Wish we could get Sam Houston 15 or Calumet up here....damn government controlled liquor monopoly!

• Like 1

consider this experiment :

one sample ' neat ' 

a second sample : ' neat ' + 25 % cold water.

temp of each ~ 60 f or so. maybe 55 F.

and decide.   a little water ( not too much ) tames 

a bit of the fire , but the flavor is still there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

consider this experiment :

one sample ' neat ' 

a second sample : ' neat ' + 25 % cold water.

temp of each ~ 60 f or so. maybe 55 F.

and decide.   a little water ( not too much ) tames 

a bit of the fire , but the flavor is still there.

Dilutes the flavor significantly.

Still enjoyable - but not the same.

Many people lately are so into cask strength hooch (I do not get the hype given the ethanol burn) - at 120-140 proof, THOSE are fires that require taming (or just to be put as jet engine fuel, quite frankly).

• Like 1

Why, there's an extraordinarily simple explanation for why some water may be good for the enjoyment.  Here.  Even a kid could understand it.

Edit:  I should have said (j/k).  Still, pretty cool.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Paul

I've never had a bartender not understand that "neat" means "no ice or anything else", but I have definitely had bartenders (typically at hotel bars) look at a "neat" pour and decide they must have done something wrong, and add more. And more. And more. I decided not to argue when my single became a quadruple.. or more!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org