• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Norm Matthews – I can taste that brisket!

@chromedome and @heidih – yes – olives and raspberries, but also Bugles!!! 😁

@JoNorvelleWalker – I just got up and checked to make sure that one of my Joy of Cooking books had the recipe for the Sour Cream Apple Souffle Cake Cockaigne.  One does and I’ll be trying that. 

@Shelby – the radish salsa looks great.  I could probably roast a jalapeno to put in it and approximate what you’ve got if you’ll divulge the ingredients. 

@Duvel – can you put a frying pan on your grill to get a higher cooking temp?

I admit to preferring a crisp taco shell over soft.  But my very favorite is a fried FLOUR taco shell.  I love the way the flour tortilla bubbles up and gets crunchy but not shattery. 

Dinner tonight was pure comfort:

IMG_2531.jpg.77fe5e7f8f8de962469651c7facbfeb9.jpg

Braised beef and gravy, sour cream potatoes, southern green beans, and yeast rolls. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie has only had a couple of salads in the last few years, so I went looking for "salads for people who hate salads". 

What is it about salads that Charlie does not like? What might he like that goes into a salad? My husband and I have different likes when it comes to salads. For example: He loves croutons and cucumbers. I love olives, avocados and artichokes. Maybe a salad bar could work!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker – I just got up and checked to make sure that one of my Joy of Cooking books had the recipe for the Sour Cream Apple Souffle Cake Cockaigne.  One does and I’ll be trying that. 

One has to ask:  which edition of Joy did not?  That recipe has been around for a long, long time; and it's still in the 2019 edition that I have on Kindle.

I made about 3/4 recipe to fit one of the TeamFar 10x8x3 inch baking pans I have for the CSO.  I reduced the temperature 25F and used convection bake for 45 minutes.  Also I used Granny Smith apples which hold up well to cooking and to my taste are not too sweet.  I may have used more sour cream than called for.  Please don't tell.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, robirdstx said:

What is it about salads that Charlie does not like? What might he like that goes into a salad? My husband and I have different likes when it comes to salads. For example: He loves croutons and cucumbers. I love olives, avocados and artichokes. Maybe a salad bar could work!

I think he just got tired of my salads because they were always pretty much predictable and his medication must have changed his tastes.  With just the two of us, a salad bar would be kind of wasteful, I think.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

radish salsa

It was really good!  I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.  It had cilantro, radishes, green onions, pickled jalapeños (didn't have anything else close) fresh lime juice and salt.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

this is an early dinner , and quite a treat for me

as Im limiting my shopping :

mise :

129299831_BBR1.jpg.678b8a6f67b7905bba425842eed5a477.jpg

all came from Tj's , as Ive been darting in there @8:00 AM when their senior hour begins .  Tuesdays.

my Wine Buds are there then and ready w my Order.  in and out to the Highlander : < 10 minutes .

the Minors came MailOder and stays Fz.  peas de-frosted in cold water , and at room temp .  not cooked 

81628700_BBR2.thumb.jpg.eaef3c24a3a687f4c4ee6e7533c2d952.jpg

finished meal.  used a bowl this time as this is two meals.    I had some crusty rolls from TJ's I CSO'd w butter and garlic

but not pictured.

delicious.   Tj's didn't have the salad pack Ive gotten before for this kind of dish.   will look harder for it.

I like a little of that chopped up and added in the bowl

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One has to ask:  which edition of Joy did not?  That recipe has been around for a long, long time; and it's still in the 2019 edition that I have on Kindle.

Actually, it was in the first one I checked, so I didn't know that it wasn't in the others.  I stated it badly.

Last night was sandwich night.  My nephew asked for black bean burgers with bacon and cheese on them.  He got the last two homemade burger buns.  I will have to bake another batch.

883227457_blackbeanburgers.thumb.jpg.83f1545e9b545fd742168609a7d3579b.jpg

My sister and I had bacon, avocado, lettuce and tomato sandwiches with chipotle aioli.  I should have only made one sandwich for us to share because we could both only eat half.

blat.thumb.jpg.3e9bc50c6b268cdef5a94e5d59c1803d.jpg

My husband and niece had steak sandwiches made with the leftover ribeye from the other day, with parmesan cheese, truffle butter and arugula. 

1862652661_steaksandwich.thumb.jpg.ea015a06a7a47678c92d5bede749ff07.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

some time back I posted I didn't remember what pepperoni pizza 

tased like ?  or any pizza ?

I recently corrected this , on a Monday Senior Hour

Roche Brothers , one town over , to the East , 5 minutes 

a fine , higher end Family owned Boston Chain

( doors open at 7 AM , carts sanitized right in front of you on entry )

Blitz   ( I get fantastic shrubbery there , and a few treats )

I nabbed an Uno's deep dish Pepperoni  Fz !

I have visited Uno's in Chicago a zillion years ago , then Uno's II across the street once

I have a Chicago metallic cake pan that these fit in.

Which of course makes sense in this application !

I cook from refrigerated , and I heat the CM pan w olive oil in it

( Tj's Kalamata , I high recommend this oil )

until it shimmers

put the Pizza in the pan , and w pot holders 

move it to the CSO   fits nicely ! 

1178391285_UnoDD1.thumb.jpg.b80ea052263ab26e24b997791431501d.jpg

cooked

15332181_UnoDd2.thumb.jpg.4bb4fe12fe7aa67cc3f8be5bae1b6007.jpg

de-panned

1580565492_UnoDD3.thumb.jpg.5bb938f6ee83d7a54402195beb6997d0.jpg

cut and plate amendments :

Kalamata olive oil ,  Penzey's  Turkish Oregano 

[ ed.: did you know Turkey grows outstanding Oregano ?  they ship 175 % of what they grow, so be carful !

the extra is other stuff they have that they want to get rid of   very true ]

red pepper flakes , and of course , Green Tabasco !

delicious !

AM Breakfast :

1614086644_UnoDD4.thumb.jpg.71dbcebff3b161e57fe2d51c91c78183.jpg

delicious at room temp.

nothing like that Aromata of pepperoni  wafting around the kitchen :

Pork , pork fat , chili   

fantastic ~

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@mgaretz do you oil your carrots or do anything special to them?  How long do you grill?

Oil yes, sometimes I also season them, but I find the seasoning doesn’t add much flavor.  I generally cook them for 18 minutes or so. 

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

12 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Oil yes, sometimes I also season them, but I find the seasoning doesn’t add much flavor.  I generally cook them for 18 minutes or so. 

For me it depends on carrot age    I like mustard (sharp Dijon) and butter or just in a concentrated chicken stock. If they are not so great pom molasses and olive oil. No horse carrots for me. In my  neck of the great wilds of Los Angeles they sell em in the chain market. .

Ralphs Grocery Company - 23 Photos & 61 Reviews - Grocery - 31481 ...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

1867279970_Pennealpesto06-15IMG_1287.jpeg.7b42c55420b40fc369ed59d47420491c.jpeg

Penne al pesto (or is it alla pesto?)) with the 2 little orphan potatoes I had. Classic would have been more potatoes and green beans! I got my greens from this instead...

608069303_Brocraab06-16.jpeg.1452fe7e79bd896f751308dce99a8f19.jpeg

Local, spring raab. Blanched, wrung out, and sautéed with crushed red pepper and garlic.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Penne al pesto 

Al pesto, pesto is masculine. One of my kids favorite...I rarely make it! Here even more than NY the basil is so big, expensive and with a strong anise flavor. 

I had my share of pork for lunch. So I had one of the chickpea burgers I made the other day, some cime di rapa and salad. Kids had more Chinese roast and bao, zucchini and salad 

3EE5CBE6-F611-48A5-94AE-DE3999C4B8DA.jpeg

C1AB9C92-0BA7-4F68-9E6B-03BA25192CB1.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

59 minutes ago, Franci said:

Al pesto, pesto is masculine. One of my kids favorite...I rarely make it! Here even more than NY the basil is so big, expensive and with a strong anise flavor. 

Thank you for. the clarification., I was about to post same. Americans are not familiar with the gender thing. Oh and I am lucky to have various basils at local garden center. You must visit Los Angeles ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thank you for. the clarification., I was about to post same. Americans are not familiar with the gender thing. Oh and I am lucky to have various basils at local garden center. You must visit Los Angeles ;)

I wish to visit California again soon. So many years without visiting! Genders are hard, immagine that in Italian to confuse more people “lo” and “il” are both masculine definite articles, you use one or the other depending on the initial letters of the noun. An there are words like egg, for example that are masculine when singular and become feminine in the plural 🤣 (l’uovo singular is le uova plural). My husband keep saying how much easier Chinese grammar is. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Simple dinner tonight for me.. I made some broccoli by cut in half length wise, these 10 inch heads.  not too big.  boiled in salted water.  Once cooked, I  threw  them in a bowl hot, tossed with minced raw garlic, salt, olive oil and a little lemon.  Normally i would add black pepper and lemon rind but, i didn't tonight..  I made the boy turkey meatballs with spaghetti.  My daughter is eating a lot of ground turkey so, i stole some of hers, cracked an egg and mixed with parm and panko, a splash of milk.

i thought I made it a whole day without food photos but, it turns out, he took the photo... I only took a photo of him eating it. 

Simple, two little cute turkey balls.. And egg noodle tagliolini https://lamerenda.com/products/taglioni-pasta   It's a sample.  I can't eat it because of the egg.  But this is a new line of products that I had the chance to try many items from.. 

Anyway, turkey meatballs cooked in a pan with garlic when the two balls were browned, i dumped in whole peeled tomatoes, sugar, xaoshing cooking wine, minced garlic and some basil that I pulled out before he could ever see it. 

50020784003_0616a1f730_z.jpg

after dinner, we walked a mile or so for some vegan passion fruit with ube coconut cookies in it.. It was pretty great.. If you are in the market for vegan Ice Cream, Van Leeuwen seems to be the best right now.. That and Noona's. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12