Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margaret Pilgrim

Do I need a....

Recommended Posts

Every day here I read about some apparatus' extraordinary usefulness.    While I have a lot, really too many, appliances, there remain a lot I don't have.    So I thought I'd ask advice on what you all considered really worth the storage  or counter space.

 

Starting out, air fryer.    Tell me why or that I need one.    I see the luscious looking stuff coming out of yours.    Are the differences in final product or mostly calories saved.   

 

Sous vide apparatus      

 

Please add your own queries.   

  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Shakespeare said it best:

 

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous.

 

 None of us need much more than a knife, a cutting board and a pan.  The rest is superfluous.

 

 Now just see if you can tear my Joule out of my hands or force me to give up my Thermomix.

 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my, now I need a Thermomix in addition to the Joule?    

 

eta, I have been completely happy with my Osterizer that was given to me as a college graduation present, which was "a few years ago"!


Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be real here - an 'air fryer' is simply a convection oven (and some of them I believe have rotational functions).

 

My Wolf oven has a fan on it, and all this means is flipping the contents a few times.  Presto - Air Fryer!

 

It is a VERY big unit for its somewhat limited applications (family members have them).

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking these questions on eGullet will lead you to ask a loan at the bank.

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an air fryer owner for about two years I would say I could easily live without it.  Think of it as a small powerful convection oven.  It’s capacity is best for two people.

Right now I have the storage space.

It is great for reducing calories.  Things I love to make in it that reduce calories are spring rolls, Samoa’s, frites, and schnitzel.

It reduces clean up compared to stove top frying such as chicken pieces and meat patties.  The basket goes in the dish washer

My brother uses his when he is travelling in his trailer because of the clean up.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm pretty sold on sous vide. Mostly because of what long low cooking does to meats. Less so for fish. And, importantly, sous vide is excellent when entertaining: there's no last minute pressure to get things right and one can hang out with the guests.

 

On the other hand, I ogle air fryers, deep fryers, er–not @Margaret Pilgrim's but @Smithy's new instant pot, CSO, etc. etc.

 

Editing second to identify the correct enabler :)

Edited first: to add that for easy cleanup I have a cleaning lady :)


Edited by TdeV (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A sous vide rig of some sort without question.  Get an el cheapo to see how you like it if you are uncertain.  Beware there is a learning curve but there are plenty of posts about it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CSO for sure.  Worth its weight in gold.

 

IP is a close second....and you can ditch your yogurt maker, stove top pressure pot, rice cooker and crockpot in its favour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL or wincing in pain.    I have a CSO, but no yogurt maker, pressure cooker, rice cooker or crockpot.   It seems I've been limping along with pots and pans, stovetop and oven.    Our microwave has a dial.    I think it's from the early '80s.    One of these days, I'll learn how to use the CSO beyond simple bake.   


eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, @Okanagancook, why is a CSO better than an oven?

 

I also don't have a yogurt maker, stove top pressure pot, rice cooker. I do have a slow cooker though (which was my earliest sous vide device). I recently slow cooked onions for 24 hours at 152F, though raised the temp at the end to get rid of most of water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did just buy Janet Zimmerman's Instant Pot for two for my walking buddy who has just bought the pot. While I have been intensely curious about the cooking device, reading the cookbook didn't make me want to rush out and buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, @Okanagancook, why is a CSO better than an oven?

 

I also don't have a yogurt maker, stove top pressure pot, rice cooker. I do have a slow cooker though (which was my earliest sous vide device). I recently slow cooked onions for 24 hours at 152F, though raised the temp at the end to get rid of most of water.

It is better because it has a steam function alone with variable temperatures and a bake- steam feature that keeps meats like chicken, pork and beef moist.  Toast is just better than any other toast you can make in a toaster.  It’s more efficient because the interior is smaller than an oven.  The list goes on and one can read of the many ways members love it in the CSO threads.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could do without my IP and my sous vide circulator, though I wouldn't want to. I would hate to have to do without my CSO, for all the reasons @Okanagancook cited above, plus the fact you can bake/toast/whatever something and not heat up your kitchen on days like today when the a/c is out.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Every day here I read about some apparatus' extraordinary usefulness.    While I have a lot, really too many, appliances, there remain a lot I don't have.    So I thought I'd ask advice on what you all considered really worth the storage  or counter space.

 

Starting out, air fryer.    Tell me why or that I need one.    I see the luscious looking stuff coming out of yours.    Are the differences in final product or mostly calories saved.   

 

Sous vide apparatus      

 

Please add your own queries.   

 

I just saw a recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts in the AF... I’m excited to try that in my used-only-once air fryer.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It occurs to me that I can use my CSO for an air fryer.    No?    I would guess maybe tossing the ingredients periodically?    Or, tips?


eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It occurs to me that I can use my CSO for an air fryer.    No?    I would guess maybe tossing the ingredients periodically?    Or, tips?

 

The CSO is a competent convection oven, certainly.  Maybe not as much air flow as a dedicated air fryer.  Or maybe not.  I have yet to be tempted by an air fryer or by an Instant Pot.  If I want to pressure cook something I posses perfectly capable pressure cookers, and for rice not much beats my Zojiroshi.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It occurs to me that I can use my CSO for an air fryer.    No?    I would guess maybe tossing the ingredients periodically?    Or, tips?

 

I'm new to the CSO so I may have missed a trick or three, but I don't think it has the circulation to provide the same convective power as an air fryer. (This peeves me quite a bit, actually, for reasons relating to counter space and marital harmony.)

 

In my limited tests so far, the CSO hasn't been as good as an air fryer for "tater tots" or breaded pieces of "fried chicken", much less reheated fried leftovers. It is incredibly easy to overcook, overbrown and overcrips reheated fries in an air fryer. Such a feat doesn't seem possible in the CSO.

 

If someone has a good technique for making the CSO match the performance of an air fryer for, say, onion blossoms or reheated fried potatoes, I'm all ears and taste buds.  No doubt @Margaret Pilgrim is as interested.


Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

 

I'm new to the CSO so I may have missed a trick or three, but I don't think it has the circulation to provide the same convective power as an air fryer. (This peeves me quite a bit, actually, for reasons relating to counter space and marital harmony.)

 

In my limited tests so far, the CSO hasn't been as good as an air fryer for "tater tots" or breaded pieces of "fried chicken", much less reheated fried leftovers. It is incredibly easy to overcook, overbrown and overcrips reheated fries in an air fryer. Such a feat doesn't seem possible in the CSO.

 

If someone has a good technique for making the CSO match the performance of an air fryer for, say, onion blossoms or reheated fried potatoes, I'm all ears and taste buds.  No doubt @Margaret Pilgrim is as interested.

 

@Smithy it sounds like you need a Paragon or three -- or perhaps a Control Freak if you remortgage your camping trailer.  God did not intend hot air for frying.

 

Perhaps if @Anova Jeff and his drinking buddies make it back from the South Pacific, the long awaited Anova Oven will become a reality.  But at this point I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kayb said:

I could do without my IP and my sous vide circulator, though I wouldn't want to. I would hate to have to do without my CSO, for all the reasons @Okanagancook cited above, plus the fact you can bake/toast/whatever something and not heat up your kitchen on days like today when the a/c is out.

 

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

It is better because it has a steam function alone with variable temperatures and a bake- steam feature that keeps meats like chicken, pork and beef moist.  Toast is just better than any other toast you can make in a toaster.  It’s more efficient because the interior is smaller than an oven.  The list goes on and one can read of the many ways members love it in the CSO threads.

 

The great (est?) thing about the CSO, among all the greats listed (especially and because of how well it reheats) is that it allows one to dispose of one's microwave, if one were to have a microwave.

 

I think an inexpensive (like under $100) circulator would be a toy the OP might love. Not mentioned is how great sous vide veggies are.

 

Quote

Perhaps if @Anova Jeff and his drinking buddies make it back from the South Pacific, the long awaited Anova Oven will become a reality.  But at this point I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

 

If I'm not mistaken., Anova was sold to Electrolux, so stop holding breath - if anyone is.


Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

The great (est?) thing about the CSO, among all the greats listed (especially and because of how well it reheats) is that it allows one to dispose of one's microwave, if one were to have a microwave.

 

I don't use the microwave for much, but for what I do use it for I can't imagine using anything else - defrosting frozen stock and quickly thawing frozen bread products prior to toasting (my wife uses it every day to defrost an english muffin).  I'm interested what one would use instead of the microwave for these things - I'll be renovating a new apartment and I'm on the fence as to whether I need a microwave or not (it currently doesn't have one)... btw, I make popcorn (probably most people's #1 microwave use) on the stove top....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

LOL or wincing in pain.    I have a CSO, but no yogurt maker, pressure cooker, rice cooker or crockpot.   It seems I've been limping along with pots and pans, stovetop and oven.    Our microwave has a dial.    I think it's from the early '80s.    One of these days, I'll learn how to use the CSO beyond simple bake.   

My brand-new Panasonic microwave has a dial, as well. Everything old is new again, as they say.

 

 

...except my knees.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't use the microwave for much, but for what I do use it for I can't imagine using anything else - defrosting frozen stock and quickly thawing frozen bread products prior to toasting (my wife uses it every day to defrost an english muffin).  I'm interested what one would use instead of the microwave for these things - I'll be renovating a new apartment and I'm on the fence as to whether I need a microwave or not (it currently doesn't have one)... btw, I make popcorn (probably most people's #1 microwave use) on the stove top....

 

Frozen English muffins or sandwich rolls go in the CSO on steam-bake @ 300°F for 3 min to thaw, then split and back in to toast.  I don't like the effect a microwave has on bread products so I've never use it for that. 

I generally freeze stock in zip locks so I thaw by immersing in warm water.  I might use the immersion circulator or warm/hot tap water.  If it's just an ice cube of stock, I'll put it in the CSO in a little pyrex cup, which is the same thing I use to melt small amounts of butter. 

 

Another nice CSO use is for gently warming cheese using the warming setting @ 125°F for a few minutes.  Perfect for taking the chill off a nice blue or brie.


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...