• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food Quotes

liuzhou

I am utterly determined to one day have this inscribed on my kitchen walls:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

James Joyce, Ulysses

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I am utterly determined to one day have this inscribed on my kitchen walls:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" 

I about died the first time I saw this.  Found it on a greeting card someone gave me several years ago, so I had it blown up, framed and hung in my old workshop.   It was a true conversation piece! Thanks for the reminder!!! 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

"Are you going to tell me," said Arthur, "that I shouldn't have a green salad?"

"Well," said the animal, "I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am."

- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"Bacon bits are like the fairy dust of the food community". - Jim Gaffigan

""Skinny people are easier to kidnap. Stay safe and eat cake" - Minions cartoon 

"People who love to eat are always the best people." - Julia Child

• Like 9

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

”Food has the tact to disappear, leaving room and opportunity for masterpieces to come.” Jane Grigson

“Cooking is the art of being able to instantly transform ingredients into joy, ” Guy Savoy

”Don't let inflexible ideas of authenticity get in the way of deliciousness.” Nick Kindelsperger (Chicago Tribune).

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"On a hot day in Virginia, I know of nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up troutlike from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below stairs in Aunt Sally's cellar."

--Thomas Jefferson

(I think of this every time I make pickles....I like the "troutlike" part :) )

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

"On a hot day in Virginia, I know of nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up troutlike from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below stairs in Aunt Sally's cellar."

--Thomas Jefferson

One could interpret this using Freudian standards.  Pickle...trout-like...Aunt Sally (Hemmings') cellar.

Not my fault.  College English class taught me to think this way.

• Like 1

The last bastion of unreconstructed Freudianism... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

43 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh chldren! (well males but you did not read this...)  I also have fond pickle jar (barrel) memories. We'd walk around for hours nibbling. 

I confess like @gfweb I too thought of Sally Hemmings, may she rest in peace.  Howe'er the trout part went way o'er my head till it was pointed out.  Before Grand Union went bankrupt in the dusk of the last millennium they had a huge self serve pickle barrel at the delicatessen counter.  Probably most unsanitary.  But boy those pickles were the best!

Could Jefferson be said to have jumped the trout?  Does it count as a food quote that Harrison Ford* jumped the refrigerator?

*who most certainly shot first

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/8/2018 at 7:36 AM, ChocoMom said:

I about died the first time I saw this.  Found it on a greeting card someone gave me several years ago, so I had it blown up, framed and hung in my old workshop.   It was a true conversation piece! Thanks for the reminder!!! 

Here's some info on it: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081214093617AA273kw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Honey, you ain't gonna eat a whole order of them onion rings." -- Waitress at the late and much lamented Marty's Diner in Bentonville, which was known far and wide for its rings. She was right. A whole order was a dinner plate piled about six inches high. 

I tried. Truly, I did.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com